Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Got 97+ Refresh Fog Connectors? You do now!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-04, 08:33 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Post Got 97+ Refresh Fog Connectors? You do now!

Friends, Romans, Lexus Drivers:

If you're like me and got in on the 97+ refresh, you have no way to properly connect your 97+ fogs to your car. The light comes with a twist-in plug that uses a particular connector.

I tried to get one at Lexus but that's like trying to get a camel to do your taxes. Eventually everyone gets pissed and nothing gets resolved.

I went over to Toyota and did a little research with my boy that works behind the counter. Long story short, we found the connector plugs. You have to install your own terminals and wires. I have spare connectors that I pilfered these from for just this type of occasion. These plugs are about 5 bucks a pop at Toyota. Don't go to Lexus, go to Toyota. Part number is 90980-11156. You need two. Now you can plug up your '97 fogs like nature intended. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails Got 97+ Refresh Fog Connectors?  You do now!-fog-connectors.jpg  
Old 07-17-04, 05:35 PM
white93
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awsome!!! I was wondering how to do it. Thanks!! for the info!
Old 07-17-04, 06:18 PM
Din
Lexus Champion

i just cut the ends off the ones that were on my 95 and crimped 2 spade connectors to it and slid them onto the 97+ foglights.
Old 07-18-04, 07:47 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Din:

Thanks for the info. Seems if you have fogs from factory (95-00?) then you are okay. The 92's had cornering lights so the sockets don't fit. We have to buy these.

Also of course, all of us with cornering lights need to fabricate harnesses with a relay and fuses to get the new 97 fogs to light up. There's no harness in the car to support these lights from the factory.

I used a premade harness that came with an aftermarket fog light set.
Old 07-18-04, 10:41 AM
abboushi
Lexus Test Driver

so with this connector you dont have to run relays and fuses or still do and then use the connector just like the cornering.
Old 07-18-04, 07:08 PM
Thomas C
Lead Lap

I love you....
Old 07-18-04, 07:12 PM
Thomas C
Lead Lap

I looked at intellxual.net on how to do the foglight conversion so that the 92-94 cornering lights stay on but I have no idea what its talking about. I know nothing about electrical. Anyone know of a simpler way?
Old 07-19-04, 05:26 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Originally posted by abboushi
so with this connector you dont have to run relays and fuses or still do and then use the connector just like the cornering.
All this connector does is give you a nice factory style connection to your 97+ fogs on an SC that doesn't have the right plugs. If the car has cornering lights, the wiring will not work for you as they only turn on when the turn signal is on (and it's only 27 watts, not 55).

To get a fog output, you need to make a harness (simple) with a fuse and a relay that is activated with whatever circuit you choose. You can have the fogs turn on with the parking lights, or with the headlights. Just connect the coil of the relay to the circuit of your choice.
Old 07-19-04, 05:31 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Originally posted by Batmanwcm
I looked at intellxual.net on how to do the foglight conversion so that the 92-94 cornering lights stay on but I have no idea what its talking about. I know nothing about electrical. Anyone know of a simpler way?
Batman what lights are you running? If it's the 92-94 fogs then have someone with electrical knowledge read the procedure on the FAQ and do it for you.

If it's the 97+ fogs the wattage is double so you need to run a new harness like I described above.

For anyone that may be thinking it:

***Do not try to run 55-watt H3 bulbs off the cornering light circuit which is designed to handle only 27 watts.***

You are doubling the demand and you will only fry something. Make a proper harness.
Old 07-19-04, 05:58 AM
Thomas C
Lead Lap

I have a 92. I want to upgrade to 97 Foglights so I wanted to know how to change the harness from the 27w to the 55w foglights without frying anything.
Old 07-19-04, 06:16 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

In that case, get a fog light harness and wire it up just like you would a set of aftermarket fog lights.

Use the plugs in the first post on the ends of the harness.

Just plug em up and go. Consult a friend that's good with electrical, it's a super easy job.

Good luck!
Old 07-19-04, 02:50 PM
Thomas C
Lead Lap

Thanks!
Old 03-16-05, 11:17 AM
HKSC300
Driver

Thanks for the information regarding this refresh! I picked up these two plugs from Carson Toyota for my '95 SC300 and indeed, they fit the 97 OEM foglight housings. Just unplug the metal connectors (with rubber grommets) from the original plugs, plug them into the 90980-11156's, and plug the 90980-11156 to the 97 foglight housing. Works without splicing/dicing or doing any wiring whatsoever.

Only problem for me was, I found the original '95 plug (the one that the 90980-11156 replaces) as well as the metal +/- wiring connectors on one side of my car were broken off. Wiring is still there, it just needs the connectors. I've emailed Mr. Ganz @ Carson Toyota about this, and hopefully he can source them for me (I think they're Toyota-specific), because they weren't available at the auto parts stores. I can mickey mouse the wiring, but would prefer not to. If anyone else knows where I can pickup these metal connectors, please let me know. Many thanks in advance.
Old 03-16-05, 11:27 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by HKSC300
Only problem for me was, I found the original '95 plug (the one that the 90980-11156 replaces) as well as the metal +/- wiring connectors on one side of my car were broken off. Wiring is still there, it just needs the connectors. I've emailed Mr. Ganz @ Carson Toyota about this, and hopefully he can source them for me (I think they're Toyota-specific), because they weren't available at the auto parts stores. I can mickey mouse the wiring, but would prefer not to. If anyone else knows where I can pickup these metal connectors, please let me know. Many thanks in advance.
You can buy a "Wiring Harness Repair Kit" at Toyota that includes metal terminals, wire, crimper, etc, etc for just this type of problem.
Old 03-16-05, 12:00 PM
HKSC300
Driver

Originally Posted by CleanSC
You can buy a "Wiring Harness Repair Kit" at Toyota that includes metal terminals, wire, crimper, etc, etc for just this type of problem.
Thanks for the info! I'll get that right away.

Quick Reply: Got 97+ Refresh Fog Connectors? You do now!