Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

"X" pipe

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-04, 04:34 PM
EUROJulian
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "X" pipe

I had appointment today in muffler shop to convert to full dual exhaust.
Unfortuntely "X"- pipe they ordered was restrictive type, even after I specificly told them what I want and they had good one pictured on the wall poster

This is a good shop quality wise and price wise and I want them to do the job. So I just need to get "X" pipe myself. Question who has best ones and where to order from?
Old 07-15-04, 05:36 PM
BazookaJoe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Quality Exhaust Pipes

Hi,
I was researching this for my 1995 SC4. I came across a website documenting a project car. They used exhaust components from Burns Stainless. I almost drooled all over the keyboard...

http://www.burnsstainless.com/

Good luck!

Say, I wanted to do this conversion on my car. Do many catalytic converters do you have? Do you think the car will pass inspection afterwards?

Just curious -- mine has 3 cats and I wanted to replace the center one with an X-pipe.
Thanks!
Old 07-15-04, 05:44 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey man,

I had mine custom made by the muffler shop. Worked out great.

Jonny
Old 07-15-04, 06:02 PM
EUROJulian
Pole Position

Default Re: Quality Exhaust Pipes

Originally posted by BazookaJoe

Say, I wanted to do this conversion on my car. Do many catalytic converters do you have? Do you think the car will pass inspection afterwards?

Just curious -- mine has 3 cats and I wanted to replace the center one with an X-pipe.
Thanks!
Thanx for the linky, I will check it out right away.

I feel for you guys from communist states. Here in South Florida we do not have stinky inspections

My car has two cats so cat back mod is not a problem even if we had inspections reinstated some day...

Edited: I just checked those guys they want like 200 bucks for those plus mixing area is not that great. It should be as parralel as possible....

Last edited by EUROJulian; 07-15-04 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-15-04, 06:06 PM
EUROJulian
Pole Position

Originally posted by Dx3
Hey man,

I had mine custom made by the muffler shop. Worked out great.

Jonny
I was thinking bout it as a last resort. They have nice design down on planetsoarer.com I might go that way
Old 07-15-04, 06:44 PM
BazookaJoe
Driver School Candidate

Cool Over engineered and regulated NJ inpections...

EURO,
Here are some pictures that show the quality, design, and flow of the Burns' products.
Defintely not cheap but...

Here is the site which led me to the www.burnsstainless.com website.

http://e30m3performance.com/installs...haust/exh1.htm

I have not bought anything from them... yet!
Old 07-16-04, 04:59 AM
jcm3
Pole Position

got my magnaflow 2.5 xpipe for like 80 shipped from ebay.
Old 07-16-04, 08:22 AM
RTLEXSC
Rookie

So if one was to remove the cats,how much hp gain would there be?
Old 07-16-04, 03:10 PM
EUROJulian
Pole Position

Default rolling my own

Originally posted by BazookaJoe
EURO,
Here are some pictures that show the quality, design, and flow of the Burns' products.
Defintely not cheap but...

Well I do not like it. Mixing area is to short and restrictive/turbulent for my taste.

Actually I started making my own today out of resignation

Last edited by EUROJulian; 07-16-04 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-16-04, 05:27 PM
BazookaJoe
Driver School Candidate

Even better!
One of these years I would love to learn to weld and metal work.

Good luck!
Old 07-18-04, 01:21 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

The guys on Planet Soarer checked the flow on the different exhaust parts and found the cats are not that restrictive. The worst parts in the exhaust are the resonators and the Y pipes leading in and out of the center cat/resonator.
Old 07-20-04, 06:54 AM
qtb33
Lead Lap

I have bought many things from Burns Stainless. They are spendy but the quality/craftmanship is great.
Old 07-25-04, 11:55 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Re: rolling my own

Originally posted by EUROJulian
Well I do not like it. Mixing area is to short and restrictive/turbulent for my taste.

Actually I started making my own today out of resignation
EJ, what you call "mixing area" is the collector area. Burns design is a true merge collector X pipe. You may be referring to the Dr. Gas type X pipes which are more of a modified H pipe and or "window" X. There is a reason to bring the energy of both pipes together into one merge zone. It creates a scavenging effect that boosts low speed efficiency, power and torque. Properly designed, like the Burns part, they will not limit high RPM power. As far as craftsmanship is concerned, Burns is tops. They even polish the INSIDE of their parts. Their clients are almost exclusively true race teams and offer build material of premium stainless as well as titanium and inconel.
Old 07-25-04, 12:33 PM
RobSoVIP
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a little word to the wise- peter from planet soarer recomends that the X-pipe be installed as far forward as possible. ??? just thought I would share.
Old 07-26-04, 04:34 PM
EUROJulian
Pole Position

Default Re: Re: rolling my own

Originally posted by jbrady
EJ, what you call "mixing area" is the collector area. Burns design is a true merge collector X pipe. You may be referring to the Dr. Gas type X pipes which are more of a modified H pipe and or "window" X. There is a reason to bring the energy of both pipes together into one merge zone. It creates a scavenging effect that boosts low speed efficiency, power and torque. Properly designed, like the Burns part, they will not limit high RPM power. As far as craftsmanship is concerned, Burns is tops. They even polish the INSIDE of their parts. Their clients are almost exclusively true race teams and offer build material of premium stainless as well as titanium and inconel.
Hey jbrady! I have enjoyed your posts on exhaust issiue.

What I didn`t like about those "x' pipes was that they gets two flows and colide them. I thought it has to limit flow on higher and midrange.
I understand that we need help with heavy pig SC at low range but I do not target that area as I`m building ultimate expressway cruiser, in addition to the bulk, I have heavy 18'' wheels with dunlop runflats. This car is not quick out of the blocks but when it goes, it goes like on rails.

My exhaust modification goal was to try not loose from low range but improve mid and hi range performance by eliminating factory center pipe and resonators.
I made my x- pipe from 10 inches long 4.5 inch in diameter pipe and then I formed it alround two 2.25 inch straight pipes. X-pipe look like binoculars with 3/4 inch wide 10inch long mixing window joining two pipes.
It is not mounted on the car yet, as I feel like I need more time to better research the issiue and learn more `bout it, I see it was wise to wait. What do you say jb, is that workable idea?