Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Mainfold cracked on turbo engine, help? (thread edited to be a bit more creative)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-04, 04:17 AM
sc300nat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hey guys, Im a noobie here..

I have been reading up on here for a long time now.......I decided that I start posting because I have been having some issues with my turbo kit that I bought a while back. I dyno the car a few months back and I did 317 rhp w/ 11 psi...but now i think my tubular manifold has cracked. Also I think there is some exhaust leaks where the wastegate bolts up to the manifold...any ideas what I should do??????

Richard
Old 07-14-04, 06:29 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may want to browse over to www.supraforums.com and read up over there in the Naturally Aspirated section. Use the search button, because they're pretty sick of new guys asking questions.

Now I'll try to be helpful...

Also, are you sure it's not the manifold coating cracking? If you're unsure, you can post some pictures so we can give you our .02. Those ceramic coatings have been known to crack and blister -- when your manifold gets up to temp, it happens... a little banging around when installed helps too.

About your wastegate issue, check these links

Supraforums search
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sea...5&pagenumber=2

HKS wastegate leaking...
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...e+exhaust+leak

Oh yeah, and the more info you can give, the better. Who made the kit, what brand wastegate, etc. etc.

JT
Old 07-14-04, 07:58 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

do you see exhaust coming out the crack?
Old 07-14-04, 09:03 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally posted by aliga
do you see exhaust coming out the crack?
That statement is just screaming for a comment... i won't do it
Old 07-14-04, 12:42 PM
sc300nat
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the responses guys..

as for the manifold cracking...yes, I am sure..there was not any coating on the manifold when I got it. I can also see black exhaust around the cracked area...(I touched it when it was cool and there was exhaust residue on there) There is also this exhaust residue where the wastegate meets the manifold...

as for the turbo kit, it is a Complete Engineering Turbo Kit that I bought from a guy used. The wastegate is a Tial 38mm I believe...

I tried searching on Supraforums.com about this turbo kit and not many people have it...I don't know if anyone else is having these problems with this kit...
Old 07-14-04, 04:17 PM
tpham7
Pole Position

LOL O.L.T
Old 07-14-04, 07:23 PM
sc300nat
Driver School Candidate

I took the sc to a shop today and they put the car on a lift....They said that the turbo manifold was designed badly... They said that some of the runners make really sharp turns which really messes the air flow..They also said that there were too many cut sections and too many welds and that the welds were not very clean...I guess that's why my manifold cracked... ...Also where the wastegate bolts on the manifold, there is a leak and they said that the flange that was welded was warped or uneven which explains the leakage...I dont have a digital camera to take pictures of it but even if i did, I wouldnt be able to take clear pictures because the turbo blocks the view...I found someone that has pictures of the the manifold out of the car from JPI IMPORTZ
Sucks...hopefully this shop can fix the problems...if not, I might be chunking this and looking for another manifold...
I circled the area where it cracked...

What manifold do you suggest??? The shop told me about Sound Performance but are there any other NAT kits are out there?

Last edited by sc300nat; 07-14-04 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-15-04, 03:18 PM
Fred Smith
Pole Position

Damn, from the photos that thing looks "equal length, at all cost!"... some of those tubes are just spaghetti looking.

DaveH's manifold seems to be working for plenty of people, and it's cheap! I'd contact him and hope your turbo and wastegate fit....
Old 07-15-04, 10:52 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

boostlogic has a great reputation along with Sound Performance and Dave-H (dave recently ran a 9.71 on his kit and stock internals, if memory serves)

Toyomoto which used to have a corner on the SC300 turbo'ing market, seems to have taken a back seat (focusing more on the IS300 people I guess)

BL wants something like 4500 for their kit w/ a FMIC, T61 and tons of other goodies, so I don't think their price for just the manifold would be outragous... granted you'll need other parts from the kit (I don't think your current downpipe will work, charge pipe and other plumbing may be off too)

I noticed you posted over on SF, so here's another SF link for you...

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...hreadid=201082

Here's some pics off of BL's website... (Their manifold will fit a T-76 w/o hitting the distributor FYI)

http://www.boostlogic.com/pix_html/p...bokit_pix.html

If anyone wants to add information about other manifolds, go for it

John

Last edited by SupraCoup3; 07-15-04 at 11:30 PM.
Old 07-16-04, 06:05 AM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

I don't think Dave runs his manifold on his car. He has had the Sound Performance manifold for quite some time, unless he switched it.

-Ethan
Old 07-17-04, 01:09 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Ebanks
I don't think Dave runs his manifold on his car. He has had the Sound Performance manifold for quite some time, unless he switched it.

-Ethan

Thanks for the correction
Old 07-19-04, 02:35 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Where in Kentucky are you located? What shop told you about SP? Drop a dime - we should meet up. If the manifold is cracked, you should consider that SP unit.