Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

BFI: How many of you have done it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-04, 12:18 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BFI: How many of you have done it?

Yea so how many of you guys have done it? And what did some of you use besides the egg cups because I cant find egg cups ANYWHERE!! Are the eggcups just optional? Also, post your results, positive or negative.
Old 06-28-04, 12:29 PM
Millatyme
Lead Lap

I did it and couldnt find eggcups either so instead i used a couple of those metal sink plugs and cut the bottoms of those off. They were 3" in diameter and can be found anywhere that sells kitchen supplies. Car is running better.... Just needed some airto breath!
Old 06-28-04, 12:45 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't bother.

Old 06-28-04, 12:49 PM
jrfiero
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 300 or 400?

Please include whether you're doing it to a 300 or a 400. The PlanetSoarer writeup was on a 400 with active suspension, so the intake under the headlight was full of stuff - suspension fluid cooler, maybe? A US 300 has a big ol' hole in the grill right under the headlight. Perhaps a little ducting/baffling in this area, rather than dropping the divider in front of the radiator, along with opening the airbox, could give similar results.

Do I understand that the 300 and 400 use different intake electronics? MAP vs MAF maybe?

Re the egg cups, I haven't bought the Ballistic Bellmouths article mentioned in the BFI writeup. Anyone have a copy handy? My understanding is that the leading edge of the intake needs to be rounded, rather than just a cutoff pipe. Seems you could use a stainless steel dog dish or some such thing. Plastic dog dish, even.

Last edited by jrfiero; 06-28-04 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-28-04, 03:26 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by SupraCoup3
I didn't bother.

Looks just like mine, no fancy cover, no piping or baffling. Just the hacked box with stock filter...works great
Old 06-28-04, 03:32 PM
MyScRuNmIa
Pole Position

look dont our car's use some sort of a ram air intake. that feeds from the front of our cars an takes cool air from out side, intakes it from there so the air is isolated. But the bfi intake isent isolated itll get the cool air from out side as well as the warm air from under the so how could this work beter than tha factory setup.?
Old 06-28-04, 05:03 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

My BFI is the same: just follow the basic principle, which is *big* ****in intake
Attached Thumbnails BFI: How many of you have done it?-bfi3.jpg  
Old 06-28-04, 05:18 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

I don't know if this scoop helps, but it certainly doesn't hurt unless you like cruisin' through torrential downpours....
Attached Thumbnails BFI: How many of you have done it?-apr10-03.jpg  
Old 06-28-04, 05:22 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by MyScRuNmIa
look dont our car's use some sort of a ram air intake. that feeds from the front of our cars an takes cool air from out side, intakes it from there so the air is isolated. But the bfi intake isent isolated itll get the cool air from out side as well as the warm air from under the so how could this work beter than tha factory setup.?
That's why you do the FULL BFI, which is a sealed vaccum chamber...
Attached Thumbnails BFI: How many of you have done it?-dsc00180.jpg  
Old 06-28-04, 05:24 PM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Here's some pics of my BFI. I used a top cover and a side panel to isolate the hot air from the intake. For the ram air effect I used two 8x50mm bolts w/nuts and washers to keep the shield in place. It holds like a rock even at speeds over 110mph. Not that I'd know. hehe

Old 06-28-04, 06:53 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Look again -- there's a lexian clear plastic cover over my BFI. I may make the side, or I may leave it the way it is... either way, I like the casemod factor to my BFI. I may even etch some stuff into it like I've done on my computer windows... we'll see.

Old 06-28-04, 06:56 PM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Ahh!! I missed that! Nice job dude. Etching the 'L' logo would look killer.
Old 06-28-04, 07:02 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

WHOA, that is sick. I wanna do that, very nice
Old 06-28-04, 07:25 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Something like...
Attached Thumbnails BFI: How many of you have done it?-neon-box-2.jpg  
Old 06-28-04, 08:09 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

yeah, I've got 12" cold cathode (CCFL) tubes kicking around my bedroom... I may do something up, I just don't want it to be rice... I'd have to paint the plastic parts of my engine bay to match (I'm getting my mirrors resprayed, so I'd just pop the parts off and have them do it up)

painted red fuse cover, battery tie down, cruise control cover, valve cover...

I donno about the light though, maybe I'll just run it on a switch so I can show it off when I want... and not look stupid around the MKIV guys

I may endeavor to make an all lexian box... I wonder how complicated a copy of the lexus airbox for the filter would be to make out of all plexiglass? I may do it when I'm at school next year (hey! I can come to all those sweet LA SC mini-meets! haha pissah! (Don't worry... I don't talk like I'm from Bahstan)

Anyhow, all plexiglass air filter shroud... no guessing about when you need to change your air filter!

John

Quick Reply: BFI: How many of you have done it?