Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-04, 07:24 PM
BCSC300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Question !!!!UPDATE!!!!

What's up guys, Here is my situation, the other day I was sitting at the lights when my 92' SC300 w/

150,000 miles started to feel as if it was misfiring. Once I pulled into the driveway I pulled two plugs and

noticed that they had some oil on them. So what I did was I went to the dealership bought some plugs,

wires, rotor, cap, and PCV valve. Finally, once I completed the tune-up I get in to start her up and what

happens is the car jumps up to 2,000 RPMs and then completely dies out! I don't know what I did wrong I

checked all the vacuum lines, they were in order. Wondering if the TSP unit needs to be replaced, or

something needs to be adjusted? Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thank You,
Brian Carvalho

Last edited by BCSC300; 06-29-04 at 10:45 PM.
Old 06-23-04, 08:07 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey brian -- where are you located? I'm in Lexington... nice to see another SC owner from MA

I don't think it's your TPS sensor, are you throwing any check engine lights? It could be fuel related... have you been blowing any smoke when you start the car? It's strange that you would get a fast idle, then have the car fall on its face. Can you provide any more background info?

Once again, I don't think it's your TPS sensor, but if you want to mess around with it, here's how:
you can adjust how fast your idle is by losening two screws and adjusting the sensor clockwise and counter clockwise. Be sure to screw it back down good when you're done.

JT
Old 06-23-04, 09:00 PM
BCSC300
Rookie

What's up Brother, I'm located in Fall River

As far as any codes none have come up, Its funny you mention the smoke because there is a white puff

every once and while at startup only. The reason I assumed it was the TPS sensor was because I

removed it during the tune-up (was I suppose to?) I just hope its nothing internal that busted on me. Oil

on the plugs isn't really a good sign I’m going to try to fool around with the adjuster on the sensor

tomorrow morning. Thanks again SupraCoup3 I’ll let you know how I make out on the adjustment, if you

or anybody else can think of any more suggestions please post them.

Thank You,
Brian Carvalho

Last edited by BCSC300; 06-23-04 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-24-04, 07:13 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Are you sure the oil on the plugs wasn't from mechanics spilling oil everytime they change it? (it pools in the wells)

Which plugs had more oil? Have you thought about a compression test?

A white puff is coolant or water... how's your coolant levels?

Also, make sure you reconnected all your vacume lines correctly.

JT
Old 06-24-04, 10:53 AM
BCSC300
Rookie

I do my own oil changes, recently i did make a little mess with the 5quart from WALMART, but i don't know

if it would float all the way make to Plug #6. Plugs #3 & #6 had the most oil, but all plugs did have some

oil on it. I adjusted the TPS sensor to the point where she stays running but quickly idles from normal to

2,000RPMs, I tried to tap the gas pedal to see if it would straiten out, but it jumps to 5,000RPMs and

slowly climbs back to 4,000RPMs and just sitsthere. I do get a white puff every once and a while. All

coolant levels seem to be fine as well as vacuum lines in order. I have never had a compression test

done. It seems like the TB should be adjusted, is there anyway of doing that?

Thank you,
Brian Carvalho

Last edited by BCSC300; 06-24-04 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-24-04, 10:55 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

check the PCV valve.......
Old 06-24-04, 11:36 AM
BCSC300
Rookie

I replaced the PCV valve, i did notice that it did not fit as tight as the old one.

Last edited by BCSC300; 06-24-04 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-29-04, 10:52 PM
BCSC300
Rookie

Default Question !!!!UPDATE!!!!

What's up guys, my mechanic replaced my valve cover gasket and adjusted my TPS just right. So all is well

now. Has anyone ever experienced this problem?

Anyhow I want to personally thank SupraCoup3 and VSsc400 for their efforts on my car troubles.

Thanks Again,
Brian Carvalho
Old 06-30-04, 11:24 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Question !!!!UPDATE!!!!

Originally posted by BCSC300
What's up guys, my mechanic replaced my valve cover gasket and adjusted my TPS just right. So all is well

now. Has anyone ever experienced this problem?

Anyhow I want to personally thank SupraCoup3 and VSsc400 for their efforts on my car troubles.

Thanks Again,
Brian Carvalho
you are welcome. Sorry i was not able to give you the right answer. I've replaced my valve cover gasket during my 90k service along with timing belt and such. I never had to adjust my TPS.

glad to see that you got that worked out right. Have fun with the car now!
Old 06-30-04, 04:01 PM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

just take out all the plugs wires and plugs and let the area
where spark plugs screw in dry up! that happened to me while i was driving in the rain,
the water somehow got inside the plug holes due to maybe bad or faulty rubber seals
in the middle of the hood area towards the windshield. my car started misfiring and it felt like
only 3-4 cylinders were firing up! so all i did was took out all the plugs/plug wires and let them dry
out. also, i used dry rag and inserted into the hole where the plugs screw in and made sure
around that ares is also dry! after that, i re-sealed the rubber piece arond the hood
and never happened again!

good luck!!
Old 06-30-04, 09:08 PM
BCSC300
Rookie

Originally posted by VSsc400
Have fun with the car now!
Will do VSsc00; definitely overdue!!!

QUOTE]Originally posted by indypwr
just take out all the plugs wires and plugs and let the area
where spark plugs screw in dry up! that happened to me while i was driving in the rain,
the water somehow got inside the plug holes due to maybe bad or faulty rubber seals
in the middle of the hood area towards the windshield. my car started misfiring and it felt like
only 3-4 cylinders were firing up! so all i did was took out all the plugs/plug wires and let them dry
out. also, i used dry rag and inserted into the hole where the plugs screw in and made sure
around that ares is also dry! after that, i re-sealed the rubber piece arond the hood
and never happened again!

good luck!!
[/QUOTE]

According to my mechanic, valve cover gaskets is common occurrence in mostly all in-line block motors.

An Example SC300s, late 80’s BMW 325, 1990’s Jeeps, etc. My mechanic also stated that motors like the

SC300s make perfect valleys for water, spilled oil from oil changes. Thanks for the advice indypwr, after

reading your post that is definitely something to consider and a cheap fix.

Thanks Again,
Brian Carvalho