Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help ASAP: My 5-speed SC3 wont start

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-04, 03:36 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy Help ASAP: My 5-speed SC3 wont start

Alright, my car wont start. Its a 92 5-speed SC300. I discoveree this problem this morning when I tried to start my car as usual, but she wouldnt turn over. I tried several times and then took my moms car to work, then when I came back from work (8 hours later) I tried and tried again, and she doesnt turn on. Heres the problem: I depress the clutch all the way (as usual), and when I turn the key to start it, I hear this slight clickiung sound followed by a whirring sound (the starter??). I do not know what the problem is. I tried numerous times to start the car, with the clutch in, out, in gear, whatever. I also reset the ECU and checked the clutch switch (disconnected, visually checked, reconnected). Heres the thing, I almost got it to start once, but me being so used to turning the key off and on, I turned the car off before she was able to start . So, I need help ASAP, please, I need my car for work tomrorw.

Thank you

PS. I had this problem kinda when I first got the car. It would take a few tries before the car would start, but the problem eventually stopped. And now it is back

Last edited by /Aerostar\; 06-15-04 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-15-04, 03:44 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pray that your PS Pump hasn't leaked fluid all over your alternator causing it to short out. Based on your post it sounds like you were living on stored battery juice for the past couple of days, the alt perhaps hasn't been recharging the battery for sometime and the battery no longer has enough juice to start the car on it's own. Have you checked your PS Pump lately?
Old 06-15-04, 03:49 PM
tpham7
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hm.. what does the alternator look like? it is a round thing with lots of wire coils?

because i think it's on the opposite side than the PS pump on my SC3.
Old 06-15-04, 04:14 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Alright, Im pretty sure its not the alternator, cause it has been replaced by the last owner 20k miles ago, also my PS pump isnt leaking at all. I have just checked the engine bay fuses, tapped the starter a few times, and also somewhat cleaned the battery terminals. She still does not start

Help

Thanks for your help

Last edited by /Aerostar\; 06-15-04 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-15-04, 06:20 PM
tpham7
Pole Position

try jump starting it?
Old 06-15-04, 06:46 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

hmm, no. But i dont think thats it. After searching the forums, Im pretty sure my problem is my starter, or more specifically, my starter contacts. I will be rebuilding my starter this weekend and Ill keep you guys updated
Old 06-15-04, 07:23 PM
bmsport
Lead Lap

Check the terminals on your battery, make sure they aren't gunked up. If its not the battery, sounds like a starter gone bad.
Old 06-16-04, 08:43 AM
moua4c
Driver School Candidate

it could actually be your starter. the contacts may be wear down on the inside. I had that problem also a while back. You turn the key and you get a click click sound. Then when it catches the engine turns over slowly.
Old 06-16-04, 01:09 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Yea I have a feeling its the starter contacts. Ill be doing these saturday, along with making a pictorial on how to do this. It makes a single click...then a whirring sounds, but the engine doesnt even begin to crank
Old 06-16-04, 01:12 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i say battery contacts... i had similar thing happen to me.
Old 06-16-04, 01:32 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Hmm, do you mean the battery terminals?
Old 06-16-04, 01:34 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by /Aerostar\
Hmm, do you mean the battery terminals?
on mine the battery terminal had a lot of corrosion... not to mention the terminal was loose.. Instead of cleaning it i went and had the terminals replaced and sprayed some anti corrosion spray and never had the problem again.

I have read in several previous threads that there is also a chance of the cable coming loose on the engine and ground side. check all of them.
Old 06-16-04, 01:37 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Yea Im gonna go check all the wiring/connections/terminals as soon as it stops raining . If she still doesnt start, then Im spending my saturday workin on my car!! woooo
Old 06-16-04, 01:39 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by /Aerostar\
Yea Im gonna go check all the wiring/connections/terminals as soon as it stops raining . If she still doesnt start, then Im spending my saturday workin on my car!! woooo
you may also have to charge up the battery since the corrosion or the loose connection may have inhibited the battery to be charged correctly.
Old 06-19-04, 06:32 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Alright, PROBLEM SOLVED!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

It was both of the starter contacts. Not an incredibly easy job. If you have a 5speed SC3, this will make the job harder due to the clutch hydraulic systems on the tranny. If anybody needs info on rebuilding the starter, feel free to ask or PM me.

Quick Reply: Help ASAP: My 5-speed SC3 wont start