Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Troubleshooting 95 SC400

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-04, 02:20 PM
mserrano
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Troubleshooting 95 SC400

I have a 95 SC400 with a problem the dealership can't figure out. My car accelerates smoother from a stopped position and through a slow acceleration, such as when coming out of a turn, when it's cold than when it's completely warmed up. Once I've been driving it for a while and it's totally warmed up it hesitates and jerks slightly in the above mentioned situations. But, if I'm just driving along and accelerate from a normal driving speed it accelerates very smoothly. The problem only occures when starting off from a stopped postion or after slowing down and then trying to accelerate. Any ideas would be very helpful.

Thanks very much,
mserrano
Old 06-14-04, 04:16 PM
Carbon J
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe transmission problems, have you had a tranny flush?
Old 06-14-04, 11:35 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

While it is a problem of sorts, many have experienced the same thing without further incident. The symptoms you mentioned are quite annoying at times, but based on what I've read on the board, I don't think they are a precursor to catastrophic trans failure or anything like that. If it bugs you enough take it by the dealer or local AAMCO and see what they say. I may do the same at some point. If you find an answer let us know.
Old 06-14-04, 11:54 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd try resetting the circuits that control the engine and trans by disconnecting the battery for a while and see if its behavior changes at all.
Old 06-15-04, 01:48 PM
mserrano
Driver School Candidate

Default SC400 Hesitation problem

Thanks folks for all of your responses. I was thinking it might be a tranny problem also, and quiverring at the thought of the cost to repair if problem was significant. But, in reading prior Boards I found that various other members in 1993 had written in to Forum with the same hesitation problem. One solution provided indicated that the source of the problem might be a leak between the throttle body and the mass airflow sensor. At least that was the answer for one member's hesitation problem. I'm going to suggest that solution to the dealer since they still have my car and are trying to come up with an answer. I'll let you all know how it turns out. If you're religious, pray for me, if not, just wish me luck.

Thanks,
mserrano
Old 06-15-04, 09:08 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

Let us know what the dealer says when you get it back.
Old 06-16-04, 05:55 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

mserrano,

I would start with changing the spark plugs and cleaning the throttle body.