Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

what turbo to get?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-04, 08:31 AM
Samcrac
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question what turbo to get?

Hello,

I am interested in purchasing a sc300 5 speed, but definatley want to turbo it. I know nothing about doing this though. The only turbo on the internet i have found is the one at www.turbo-kits.com. It is a single turbo kit. Is this any gfood, and is the price reasonable? Also, i have heard about twin turbo on this model, where can i get one of those. Also if i bought a turbo, what would i have to buy to make it go faster that just putting on a turbo, and how fast will the extra mods give me? If i bought an automatic one, would i have any problems? Thanks for all the help!

Sam
Old 06-11-04, 08:53 AM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you might want to use the search function (located above) before you ask a question of this nature to get some background information. you will also want to check out rich's (lex400sc) website (http://www.intellexual.net) as well. good luck!
Old 06-11-04, 10:38 AM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Before you start shopping, I'd highly suggest you read "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell. It's a GREAT overview about selecting turbos, building the motors, and tuning them afterwards. You can probably find it on Amazon.com.

Last edited by wmulli; 06-11-04 at 10:39 AM.
Old 06-11-04, 06:49 PM
Derf
Rookie

First decide what you want to do with the car. Do you want a daily driver with a little extra power or do you want an all out Drag car? Then you need to decide how much you really want to put into this project. What ever you pick for a budget add another 2 to 3 thousand because that is what it will really cost. I just put in a Boostlogic kit and it is out standing. I put a t61 with a .58. I am still working all the bugs out but last wednessday night I dyno on 93 octane 16lb of boost 424.5whp and around 354 tourqe. I figure I will be over 500 with high boost and race gas. Not bad for a daily driver. Today I ran a c5 vett and stayed neck and neck. Once I learn how to launch the car, I will be eating people up. Do your research and pay attention to those who have gone before you. Most are more than willing to share the information to keep nice cars from getting trashed. Good luck.

www.boostlogic.com
Old 06-11-04, 10:18 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

oh, I'd have to say an electric hybrid turbo. most definately.

Seriously though, figure out what kind of power you want to make, how much you want to spend, if you want to run pump gas or race... From those items, the correct turbo size will more or less pick you.

when in doubt, browse www.supraforums.com
Old 06-13-04, 06:23 PM
Samcrac
Driver School Candidate

Thanks alot guys. I was thinking of having the car as a daily driver. How do you set the lb's of boost, and also, doesnt it hurt the car if you have the boost set to high? Also, what is the maximum bar you could set the car to without hurting it, and approx. how many horses would you gain from that? How about if you swapped the engine for a supra twin turbo, I have seen some of these on ebay? Sorry about my knoledge in this area. and thanks alot for all your info.

Last edited by Samcrac; 06-13-04 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-13-04, 08:25 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

samrac, it sounds like you could really use Corkey Bell's book. I've got it, and it's great. It explains how turbos work, and how they effect the engine.

The pressure the turbo produces is dependant upon a number of variables... generally speaking, unless you build up your engine's internals, the fuel system (more air means more fuel), and retune the ignition system, you don't want to fully utilize the potential of your turbo. Don't crank it up and boost your brains out

...well, unless you want a skylight in your block.

This is where a wastegate and a boost controller come into play. To save the rest of your engine, the boost controller and wastegate limit the amount of pressure your turbo can make before it re-routes the excess exhaust to prevent any more pressure.

The SC has the ability to be a daily driver in a wide range of HP levels. The important thing to remember is the weakest link. Buying a turbo kit, slapping it on, and boosting the living daylights out of your engine may be fun, but something will break.

You need to consider everything from

the right size turbo (how much HP do you want to make, how soon do you want to make it, street gas or race?)

The intercooler setup (MKIV sidemount, 3 Row or 4 Row FMIC)

Fuel Injectors, fuel pump, fuel rails, and electronic fuel management system

Ignition timing (for higher levels of HP & boost)

Clutch

Transmission (High HP on stock tranny = dead tranny)

Differential (the SC comes with an open diff -- you'll spin a single wheel all the way down the track... or break it loose on the highway depending upon your setup)

and this is very important, but often overlooked: Gauges

Knowing the Exhaust Gas Temperature lets you know how hot your engine is running, and how hot your turbo is. Heat Kills.

Fuel Pressure: Are you getting enough fuel to the engine?

Air Pressure: how much boost are you making, be it measured in bars, atms, Kpa, PSI, Kg/Cm2...

A wideband O2 sensor isn't a bad investment either. Knowing realtime the exact air/fuel ratio of your setup is really, really important if you don't feel like ruining something.

And finally, use the search button -- the old guys here have a tendency to give a big sigh when they see a post by another new member that's identical to one answered the week before. Learning how to search through the forums both here and over at www.SupraForums.com will save you time. Waiting for someone to answer a question which has been answered before takes longer than it would to find the answer yourself... trust me on that

And by the way, welcome to ClubLexus.

JT