Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Engine going caput. need opinions/advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-04, 06:40 AM
Coolstr85
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine going caput. need opinions/advice

ok. my 1994 lexus sc300 has 145,000 miles on it. Its making a wierd noise and im not very impressed with the power either. Im used to driving a turboed 240SX so i need a turbo back. my question is this, should i rebuild my engine? swap in a 2jzgte? or buy a newer 2jzge engine and get a turbo kit for that(probably the most expensive way). Also, do i need to swith ECU's and wiring if i drop in the 2jzgte? ive done some minor research, but nothing serious yet. all i know is i need more power and since im going to be driving from college and home a lot, i want a newer engine thats reliable. any advice or oppinions are welcome and appreciated.
Old 05-25-04, 07:49 AM
Philly#1 Lex
Lead Lap

Search is your friend on this forum. Use it and the force and knowledge will be with you .

Philly
Old 05-25-04, 07:52 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your car is making wierd noises... so the engine is dead?

Wow. My EGR valve is screwed up, I guess I should toss mine too!

Seriously though, the 2JZ-GE doesn't die very easily. I'd look through your components and figure out what's causing your problem. Is it only occuring at idle, or in the high RPM range? Does it feel like an ignition or a fuel problem? Give us some more info on what's going on.

If you can't troubleshoot your current block, I wouldn't suggest trying to drop a GTE in.

Oh yeah, about my EGR problem, I'm tossing it

My EGR system that is.

Lastly, but in NO way least: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/search.php the search button is your best friend

I use it all the time -- it's not just for new people, though we tell them often. ClubLexus.com and SupraForums.com have a mountain of information on the 2JZ-GE & GTE engines.

JT
Old 06-01-04, 05:08 AM
Coolstr85
Rookie

well im sure i could probably find out where and what the noise is. but it doesnt really matter. my engine sill has 140,000 miles on it so i dont think its very safe to turbo or dump nitrous to. I know the block is extremely strong, so should i just rebuild the internals? or would it be safer to just buy a whole new 2jzge engine and put a thicker headgasket on to lower compression and then run nitrous? ive been using the search button, its just so hard to find exactly what im looking to know.
Old 06-01-04, 06:32 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.datapathusa.com/sc300.html

http://www.datapathusa.com/scott/overhaul.html

The 2JZ-GE is really strong -- after lots of abuse on a high milage engine SC300T had vavle stem seal problems. As he said, it's very common for MKIV TTs to have this as well... and they've got the GTE

From Scott: "Piston rings, cylinder walls and pistons themselves were cleaned and deemed to be in very good overall shape, especially given the mileage."

If you want to go out and buy a new engine, go ahead, you're most likely wasting your money. But if you do buy a new one, why go and get another 2JZ-GE?

I doubt your engine is anywhere near the level of wear that SC300T's was -- he's been turbo'd for quite some time, making well over 400 RWHP. So like I've said before, I SERIOUSLY doubt you need a new block.

Oh, and one last thing: If it was me, I wouldn't use N20, I'd go turbo.

John

PS: You could do what pimp my ride did and put in a "new engine" which means changing plugs, wires, oil and vacum lines.