Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

GTE swap cost..DIY labor.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-04, 08:24 AM
dundfaukus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTE swap cost..DIY labor.

I have been reading up on what to do to the SC, either turbo kit or just do a GTE swap. I plan to do all labor myself, so when it comes to the parts, I am finding that the GTE engine plus tranny seem to go for around 3K, now i know that is not complete bolt on..because I need a custom drive shaft, but what if I got a Supra rear end? Will that make everything bolt on?

I ask because when I do the math of a turbo kit, I get good amount of gains. Although GTE swap there is alot more potential IMO.
Old 05-23-04, 09:08 AM
Tommyd1919
Lead Lap

The GTE swap will cost a good bit more even if you do the labor yourself and no even if you get a TT rearend you still need a custom driveshaft... I would say the TT swap will cost you double the basic NA-T price.. Beleive me I think I have put together a TT swap for less than anyone else on this board and I have still spent twice the cost of like a FMAX kit...
Old 05-23-04, 11:00 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Tommyd1919
The GTE swap will cost a good bit more even if you do the labor yourself and no even if you get a TT rearend you still need a custom driveshaft... I would say the TT swap will cost you double the basic NA-T price.. Beleive me I think I have put together a TT swap for less than anyone else on this board and I have still spent twice the cost of like a FMAX kit...

Fmax kit doesn't give you a new set of injectors, the kit is less than impressive, and your compression ratio is still high.

The GTE conversion cost is high, but if you find a nice GTE for cheap, the choice is yours.

There are small differances, but it's a matter of personal choice -- how exactly do you want to get to the RWHP you want?

...and how much HP do you want?
Old 05-24-04, 01:55 PM
Angel
Lead Lap

Default Re: GTE swap cost..DIY labor.

Originally posted by dundfaukus
I am finding that the GTE engine plus tranny seem to go for around 3K
3K x 2 maybe ...

The tranny alone (6 spd is $2,000-$2,500)......
Old 05-24-04, 05:05 PM
Tommyd1919
Lead Lap

I said FMAX because its one of the cheaper kits.... The other kits will cost even more but still nothing compared to the cost of the GTE swap done right... You WILL spend between around 8 to 10 grand on a BPU GTE swap.... And good luck with the $3k TT swap, they are out there but be very picky... I wish I could find a PM a guy on this forum sent me when I was outlining the cost of my swap. He said "It sounds like you can't afford to do this swap maybe you should try the Honda forums".... People will be harsh BUT Im here to tell you be patient and ANYONE can pull it off... I actually found a complete USDM GTE motor (not swap) for $800.00 through a local salvage yard... So the deals can be found the key is patients..
Old 05-24-04, 10:30 PM
dundfaukus
Rookie

It was a just a question, I'm used to ney-sayers, like MR2 forum who said turboing the 2.2 is a expensive doomed project. Well guess what my daily driver is.

Turbo project sounds tempting, but I decided the lexus I just want for comfort and not worry about oil leaking or other headaches performance cars can bring, IE- the more you upgrade, the more stuff breaks.
Old 05-25-04, 03:39 AM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Doing an NA-T PROPERLY is just as expensive if not more so than doing the swap.

-Ethan
Old 05-27-04, 08:28 PM
Tommyd1919
Lead Lap

I don't think "done properly" is fair.... because many would say a GOOD turbo kit bolted on correctly would fall in the "done properly" cat.. I think it would be better to say a NA-T project done extensively will cost as much if not more...If you do all the work yourself as the guy said he was going to do and you buy a $4000.00 turbo kit then you will end up spending maybe $4500.00 or so on the NA-T... IN MY OPINION thats alot less than a GTE swap will cost... However EBANKS I believe you do know what you are talking about, no question there I just don't see a basic NA-T kit costing what a basic GTE swap would cost... But hey I could be wrong..
Old 05-28-04, 10:51 PM
sc300ccret
Driver

Not to step on toes but I am doing this as we speak. Here is what I am into the swap.
Your mileage may vary, however since the motor is out of the car, I'm going to DIR (do it right)

1. 2JZ-GTE, Harness, Supra TT brakes front and rear all from a 97 = 4000.00
2. 6 Speed Tranny also from a 97 with Fidanza Flywheel,
and ACT stage 3 clutch and B&M short shifter = 2800 shipped.
3. Arias Pistons and Crower Rods part of a package deal so roughly = 1800
4. Virtual Works Turbo manifold and Tial wastegate = 1500
5. Virtual Works Intake = 2400
6. AEM EMS with 5 bar Kavlico sensor = 1060 shipped
7. PTE74S turbo = 1500
8. HKS 272 Cams bought used = 550
9. Machine work and assembly = 2500

Stuff I still need
Rebuild/port head with all Ferrea Goodies =2000
Fuel System = 2000
Driveshaft from the local kickass driveline shop = 600

Phil Aultridges's Convertion manual so I can do the swap myself =200

Umm. Guages, wheels, A Pillar, Supra Rear end and a few other nick nacks are still needed but this is where I am at. Some of the prices are great as I got deals on supraforums or bay. Some are rounded of to close to retail , since I am getting a hookup from Virtual Works.

So is the NA-T cheaper? Prolly. Will it make as much power as I am going to? No. Do I have to worry about running 38psi on my setup? Nope. Which route would I do if I had to do it all over again? Still the GTE. The motor and tranny aren't THAT much more, and in most cases you can run the stock TT stuff BPU+++ until it blows up and then go full bore. Alas, I'm impaitent about it blowing up so I rebuilt it from scratch.

Mike
1997 Royal Sapphire Blue SC300
Supra Almost Inside.
Old 05-28-04, 11:49 PM
wolfy187
Pole Position

ethan...like you have anything to say about spending money.....

jebus...i remember that thing when i drove through missouri.... RIGHT...WINK WINK... CHEAPER

Arthur
Old 05-30-04, 08:25 PM
bmsport
Lead Lap

You can do the base GTE swap:

2jz-gte engine by itself.........$2500-$3500 (jdm harness/ecu is worthless imho)
usdm harness......................$800-$1000
usdm ecu...............................$300
usdm injectors......................$250
usdm resitor pack................$120
oem 6 channel ignitor..........$200-$400
new motor mounts...............$170
clutch oem or better.............$300-$alot
usdm supra TT mas............$100
mkiv smic w/ piping..............$400 (need all mkiv piping)
walbro 255lph pump............$120
msd tach adapter..................$40
phils manual..........................$200
misc other supplies..............$200-$500

Adding up the low side of things thats $5700 utilizing your stock trans and open diff (which sucks). But you can have a perfect running GTE in your car, doing it yourself for under $6k. Hell, some people are even more thrifty bargin hunters and do it for half that. Depending on your luck and connections.

Last edited by bmsport; 05-30-04 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-30-04, 08:40 PM
TurboB6
Lead Lap

Im curious who here has done it for 6K or under?
Old 05-30-04, 10:05 PM
bmsport
Lead Lap

I know someone collecting parts now for the swap who got the engine alone for $1200 and used parts for bare minumum pricing. He'll probably end up under $5k, but thats not a normal occurance.
Old 06-01-04, 02:41 AM
William N.
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im curious who here has done it for 6K or under?
I decided to do a 2jzgte head swap instead of the swapping the entire gte long block because of my budget and also because the ge bottom end is pretty damn strong already.

I got a JDM 2jzgte complete head w/ stock twins, complete intake manifold w/ TB, motormounts, gte powersteering pump w/ reservior, gte waterpump, JDM gte wiring harness, 97 gte ECU, USDM 550cc injectors, gte MAF, gte coil packs, gte ignitor, all sensors and VSV's, stock gte automatic transmission w/ torque convertor, flew plate and cross member for $2K.

2mm headgasket for $250
ARP headstuds for $100
Walbro fuel pump for $85
MSD tachadapter for $45
Radio Shack fuel injector resistors for $10
SC400 driveshaft for $100
SC400 output flange for $50
stainless oil feed turbo lines for $40
IS300 union bolt for $35
used HKS front mount kit for $500
Blitz intake for $50
2jzgte crank sensor and timing pulley for $100
Supra throttle cable for $30
Misc $100

This total comes out to be a little less than $3500...But I also sold my stock ge head, cams, distributor, valve covers, intake manifold, TB, fuel injectors, automatic transmission with torque convertor, ge motormounts, etc and got a total of almost $1K.. So totally, I spent roughly $2500...

The car runs excellent at 14 psi without a boost controller. I am definitely pleased with the results.
Old 06-01-04, 07:09 AM
bmsport
Lead Lap

Nice!

Quick Reply: GTE swap cost..DIY labor.