Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turbo size, is this too small?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-04, 09:29 AM
slwazdsm
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo size, is this too small?

I have a local guy in town who is offering to build me a custom turbo set-up and I was just wondering what you guys thought about the turbo size

Supposedly it is a brand new turbo for a GN

he says that it's a te03-48-60

What the hell does that mean? When comparing the actual center section with my old t-25, it's bigger but I"m a little hesitant at this point. Help me out guys!
Old 05-05-04, 04:24 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Turbo size, is this too small?

Originally posted by slwazdsm
I have a local guy in town who is offering to build me a custom turbo set-up and I was just wondering what you guys thought about the turbo size

Supposedly it is a brand new turbo for a GN

he says that it's a te03-48-60

What the hell does that mean? When comparing the actual center section with my old t-25, it's bigger but I"m a little hesitant at this point. Help me out guys!
Sounds like it's got a T3 flange, a .48 AR compressor and a .60 AR turbine. Sounds like it would be fine for a honda, or if you're looking to make 250 horses I'd be wary of the t3 flange, most of the manifolds I know about (certainly not all!) have a t4 flange.
As for sizing a turbo, you just can't guess and hope for the best. Do some studying. Learn to read compressor maps and you'll be able to pick exactly the turbo you need to make the power you want, and even more, you'll know how much fuel it will need to do it!
I highly recommend Corky Bell's book "Maximum Boost". Spend the $30 to get a copy.

Last edited by wmulli; 05-05-04 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-05-04, 05:50 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

its way too small...i use a t4 e trim on my honda...which definately means u need a much larger turbo for your car. i would say a t4 b trim with a 60ar atleast. definately do some research and u can tell somewhat will work best for your car by checking out pregrouped kits and figuring out the smallest and largest turbos they use. good luck
Old 05-05-04, 05:52 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL @ wmulli

Yeah thats not a very big turbo; definitely not made for a higher-rpm motor like the 2jz
Tell him you'd rather have a T4 turbo of some sort

I've got a more mild turbo myself; full 60-1, .70 A/R compressor and .70 A/R turbine with a P-trim wheel

spools really fast
I guess for him my turbo would be a:
te04-70-70

of course that name leaves a lot to the imagination... a T64 or T66 could also be that same turbo (since it doesnt specify compressor OR exhaust wheels)
Old 05-06-04, 01:44 PM
slwazdsm
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I'll try to find out more in a few minutes when I head out to the shop.

In regards to the t3 flange, it's not, it's a 3 bolt flange like the turbo with daveH's kit.

I'll take some pics and host it up for you guys, let me know soon guys!! and thanks in advance as always!