Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

stock vs supra turbo radiator

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-04, 06:49 AM
slo86
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default stock vs supra turbo radiator

i replaced the wimpy stock radiator with a csf for a supra turbo in my sc300 5sp a few days ago. i'm not sure if its an improvement over the stock radiator of a well maintained sc but im my case i am very happy with the results. (the previous owner did not give it as much tlc as it deserves)

changes i've noticed:
takes a little longer for the car to warm up
the highest my temp guage went up was just past the 2/5 mark. sometimes i can actually see the temp needle moving down as i press the accelerator.

stock radiator:
16-3/4 X 29-1/16 X 1-5/16
approx. 639 cubic inches
two row, plastic endtanks

csf supra turbo radiator:
15-3/4 X 29-1/16 X 1-3/4
approx 801 cubic inches
three row, all metal
w/ auto trans cooler

the upper radiator mounts will not work the the supra radiator.
since the supra radiator is an inch shorter i had to trim sections on the bottom of the fan shroud to make it fit.
you can use some rubber washers on the bottom mounts to raise the radiator slightly. what i did was use the trimed pieces of the upper radiator hose as washers.

the screw on the right came from the stock radiator. this part is required to plug the hole at the bottom tank where the temperature switch would go.

Anyone else using a supra turbo radiator in their sc? what kind of results did you get?
Old 01-18-06, 12:01 PM
High PSI
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slo86

Anyone else using a supra turbo radiator in their sc? what kind of results did you get?
Sorry to bump a thread from the dead but I did a search and am left wondering the same exact thing. If you could get a Supra TT radiator for free, and your SC300 radiator was fine, would you still put it in? Is there ANY performance increase? Haven't found a real definitive answer...
Old 11-22-06, 09:58 AM
hemogoblin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump for an old thread, Anyone got an answer? I have a brand new NA rad, and a used TT rad coming. For a 2JZGTE.
Old 11-22-06, 10:42 AM
High PSI
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After I posted I found that the Supra TT radiator does indeed decrease engine temps and provides additional protection against overheating. I picked up a TT supra radiator and am going to install it when I go NA-T in the spring, just for a little extra safety.