Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

jdm question

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-04, 04:15 PM
sc3boost
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question jdm question

ok people, i searched for a week and i could'nt find my answer so here i go .........................

i'm interested in doing a engine swap, mainly because my engine is acting real funny, now my first option was to do a leak down test and compression test as advised by some of the good people one this board , then my second was to get a new ge engine, junkyards have compleate engines for about $1000.00, then someone hit me with a stupid stick..................literally................. so i now turned my attention to the 2jzgte, then i realised that i had to sell my left nutt to do a compleat swap.
so my question is, i was thinking of getting a jdm engine for a good price, and then just bolt it up to my existing tranny, can this be done? or if i can find a jdm engine and 6spd tranny( i have a 5spd), i heard really really good things about the options on the jdm 6spd....................................
Old 04-15-04, 05:49 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: jdm question

Originally posted by sc3boost
ok people, i searched for a week and i could'nt find my answer so here i go .........................

i'm interested in doing a engine swap, mainly because my engine is acting real funny, now my first option was to do a leak down test and compression test as advised by some of the good people one this board , then my second was to get a new ge engine, junkyards have compleate engines for about $1000.00, then someone hit me with a stupid stick..................literally................. so i now turned my attention to the 2jzgte, then i realised that i had to sell my left nutt to do a compleat swap.
so my question is, i was thinking of getting a jdm engine for a good price, and then just bolt it up to my existing tranny, can this be done? or if i can find a jdm engine and 6spd tranny( i have a 5spd), i heard really really good things about the options on the jdm 6spd....................................
Yeah, this has been posted before, but I'll head it off and answer your Q.

Imagine you do your super wicked sweet 2JZ-GTE swap with a j-spec (search under j-spec) engine. Now imagine you need some silly little part for your j-spec engine. Imagine the silly amounts of time you'll waste because it's different from the US version, and the part needs to be special ordered from japan. Then imagine your sweet ride sitting in the driveway whilst you take the bus... waiting for the part to come in.

Wakeup. Bad Dream is over now.
Old 04-15-04, 06:53 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

^^
werd...

Its hard enough finding information on my 1JZ motor..
Old 04-15-04, 07:23 PM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

Easy to find info on the 1jz just google for jza70 and you should find good info we are geting ready to do a 1.5j in a gs300 .
Old 04-15-04, 09:33 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Got_trd,

Australian Lexus Soarer Club (ALSC) for all your 1JZ needs

Jose
Old 04-16-04, 04:07 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

cool, thanks.. now can someone help sc3boost find info on jspek 2jz's?
Old 04-16-04, 04:50 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

and who's gonna overnight the parts for you?

put in a US Spec 2JZ-GTE, and you can walk into your local Toyota dealership -- if you order before 2 PM, odds are, you'll have it next day (I worked for one, I know how it goes).

SC00TT had a post back in the day about someone who had a 1JZGTE who ended up swapping in a 2JZGTE because it was cheaper & easier than trying to source the parts he needed over in japan... or Australia.

Do more research before you go out and buy a J-spec engine. Phil Auldrige (sorry about the spelling!) Wrote a manual on doing the 2ZJ-GTE swap, and said it's easier with the US Spec engine. If my memory serves, he had done it with both (cooked off his jspec w/ a coolant goof I think).

About the 6 Speed:
How would the linkages work for a Jspec (RHD) 6 speed? would 5th to 6th= 1st to 2nd?

Do what you want, but simple is better in my book.
Old 04-16-04, 09:29 PM
sc3boost
Pole Position

thanks for the replies guys, but i thought that all the components for the engines were the same except for the electronics............................. don't believe everything you hear right.....................
so basically all the hype about the jdm engine is just that, and all the people with those engines are pretty much screwed, but if this is so why do people still insist on jdm, at least my excuse is i did'nt know, do people just get these engines to say that they have a jdm engine or is there some benefit to them.
i'll start looking for usdm engine, but that **** gets annoying and really frustrating.

hey let's hear from one of the guys with a jdm engine
Old 04-17-04, 04:53 AM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

If there any spec questions you have drop me a pm and i will do my best to clear them up for you can get
a timeing belt for a 1jz at autozone pistons 2j what else .
Old 04-17-04, 09:07 AM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

hey let's hear from one of the guys with a jdm engine
If the honda guys can get jdm parts for their jspek motors, then guess what?? so can we
Old 04-17-04, 09:37 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/specs.htm

you guys can do whatever you want. Jspec 2JZ's are easy to find, but they've got subtle differances. If you have a chance to get a USDM 2JZ-GTE, I'd jump on it -- you may even be able to work down the guys at the local junk yard.

Just be aware of the differances.
Old 04-17-04, 11:05 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

the tranny gears on all Jspec trannies are the same... so 1st to 2nd still starts from top left to bottom left...

that would just throw everyone and their mommas off if that was reveresed too.

and as for the JDM 2jz... i think some of you guys are makin too big of a deal... there are subtle differences but parts can be found here

my friend's aristo has a JDM 2jz... and he swapped all of his performance goodies from a US 2jz... and he went to toyota (and sometimes autozone) to get misc and maintenance parts.

The part about the swap being harder is true... but only on the wiring side... which will still be easy if you have a how-to diagram

throw in some 550's and a different ECU... and you'll be fine.

Last edited by ummagawd; 04-17-04 at 11:06 AM.
Old 04-17-04, 11:37 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

I may have partially been mixing up the Jspec 1JZ and 2JZ bocks -- the 1JZ is rather hard. People post qustions about the 1JZ, and that can create some headaches.

Jogging my memory, the 2JZ-GTE Jspec does have differances, they can be overcome (checkout Phil's manual -- it's 200 bucks or something).

But if you have a choice between a JDM 2JZ and a US 2JZ, I'd go with the US (and plan to try to).

There are also rumblings that the stock US 2JZ puts out more than 320 HP -- a lot of stock supras dyno at 291-300 HP @ the wheels, which would mean more @ the crank.

John

Edit: good to know that the 6 speed lines up -- I may be tempted to try it when I go turbo... whenever that may be! Do you know if the drive ratios are the same?

Last edited by SupraCoup3; 04-17-04 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-17-04, 09:17 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Default JDM & USDM are very close

Regarding the 1jz, don't go that way. The JDM spec engine and USDM engine are extremely close. How close? You need USDM twin turbos ($400-600), USDM cams (~$150-250), fuel rail w/ 550 injectors ($150) vs the 440 JDM, USDM ecu ($200-300). Done, repeat, USDM done. Those are the big things, used pricing.

This puts your jdm gte at 320 crank hp. Ok, there is a long list of other things you need, not addressed here because they are not JDM>USDM specific.

You will spend 5-$8k by the time you install and can take this to $8-10k developing BPU upgrades, brake upgrades, wheel upgrades to keep your monster attached to the road....this is without a 6-speed swap.

Last edited by SCoupe; 04-17-04 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-18-04, 11:17 AM
sc3boost
Pole Position

ok guys so let me clear some little up.
what are the distingtive differences in the two engines.

and SCoupe, are you saying that if i get the jdm and swap the injectors, cams, fuel pump, ecu and the turdo, you mean this will clear up all the jdm and usdm differences.
also if sonething does go wrong with a jdm engine what exactly do you have to get from japan?

and before i forget, is the short block with internals, the head and valves and all that stuff the same with both engines?
i mean it is good to get a usdm engine but it's not easy finding one that does'nt cost an arm and a leg....

Quick Reply: jdm question