Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Reality of standard sc400

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-04, 08:02 PM
DontHateSc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reality of standard sc400

Hi, ive done a couple searches and have found almost nothing that has given me information on changing to a 5 or 6 speed sc400. Anyway, my story is that ill have about 3200 dollars by this summer, and the idea of having a standard sc400 has always caught my eye. Can anyone give me any information on if this is capable, if i have enough money or close to, and if i will have to do a lot of work that most 17s year olds cant do. Thanks guys!
Old 04-05-04, 09:02 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like an interesting project. It has come up before on the forums if you check. Maybe folks can brainstorm on this. If I were to do this I would want some more power first anyway.

Headers, BFI, and some fuel control for maybe 215rwhp on 92-97 and 240rwhp on 98-00.

Well you need a:
6 spd tranny
Custom drive shaft
Supra TT LSD
Supra TT axles (well only one needed)
All the shifter assemblies
Some ECU work and harness work
Gear to correct speedometer

Probably around $7k at least including used parts of course. Most shops would just say forget it.

Anyone else want to take a shot at what's needed and the price?

Last edited by Hermosa; 04-05-04 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-05-04, 09:09 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

I would love to and have been thinking about it forever but the hardest part in my eyes is the damned ECU. Since the body is shared with the SC300, and Supra swaps are done all the time there, I don't believe the physical fit would be the hardest part. Sure, drive shafts may have to be adjusted center console may have to modified, but that can all be done. I think diving into the electronics would be the biggest problem (now that I think about it, finding a reputable bell housing would be tough too). Ahh, see what I mean? Not something to try for someone on a budget. donthate, I'm with you; young and working to support my SC and for us, even with 3400 by summer, I don't think it would be a good idea to get into. I'm with Hermosa and would really like to see someone try and if anybody can make it work, then maybe people like me and donthate could have a chance.

Donthate, take that money you got and get some fat staggered rims, or maybe do a full tune up, drop, audio etc. I think the manual conversion would turn into one enormous money pit.

James
Old 04-05-04, 11:12 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Not only do i want to see it done, i'll probably buy the car that it is done to

oh, that would be HARDCORE.
Old 04-06-04, 04:06 PM
DontHateSc
Rookie

well thanks for the advice guys, i already have the full audio upgrade subs amp speakers new deck... I guess ill go for the tires/rims or bodykit. hopefully we will see a standard some day.
Old 04-07-04, 11:13 PM
Cannonbear
Lexus Test Driver

i believe over at lextreme.com they discuss swapping in a manual tranny to the sc400, with some new zealand places selling kits (bellhousing and transmission if i recall). The other work can't be too hard, get a custom driveshaft along with the supra parts and have at it. Gonna need the pedals too!

The ecu will probably be the biggest concern, maybe a standalone?

Itll be a lot more then 3200 dollars with labor and such, but man that is one upgrade taht'd be worth it!

imagine, 290 hp with 300 tq with a 6 speed! Hot damn, thats gotta be good for some low 14 high 13 second passes!