Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400 Starter replaced twice

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-04, 03:38 PM
TxLexus
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SC400 Starter replaced twice

I like to share my personal experience with you guys.
My SC4 been out of commission for a week. Starter was going out.

It took me pretty much 2 full days to remove the starter. First time is not the easiest. Pretty tricky
Once I got it out, I was being cheap and bought a 120 dollar O reilly starter with lifetime warranty.
I got it installed and put everything together. It starts, first start and I knew that this starter sucks. I immediately had a feeling, this is not over with. It was not smooth and was very loud. Unlike a lexus starter. Then I shut it down. restarted. 3rd time. Shut it off again. and it whine. Didnt start. I sense the starter spining but not to the flywheel.
So I was beyond pissed. I wasnt about to spend 300bucks on a remanufacture Lexus starter. I know some people who works on Lexus and big luxury cars. I asked them where they buy the starter from. Of course they say LEXUS or getting it rebuilt from a commercial rebuilder.
I took the original Lexus starter that went out and had it rebuilt. Next day, Got it back.
Took out the O Reilly starter and replaced it with this new rebuilt. 2nd time takin the starter out was easier and lot faster. After putting everything back. The car starts up smooothhhhhly. Just like how it should be.

Just wanted to share with you guys, if your starter goes out. Spend the money and buy a lexus starter or getting it rebuild from a reputatable rebuilder. Find a commercial rebuilder. They are the people who rebuilds for dealers. Rebuilt cost me 120bucks.

120bucks to rebuild plus all the gaskets 60bucks. Total about 180-190
I guess I saved a big bundle. Maybe 700bucks.
Car out of commision for a week. not a problem.
BACK ACHE...... PRICELESSSSSSSS

BTW. NO NEED to lower the transmission to get to the starter.
Old 04-04-04, 09:36 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

yes i agree....also the alternator...i had to rebuild $120.00...stick with the OEM products!

CEO