Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SRT intake on 00 sc400?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-04, 12:01 AM
Cannonbear
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRT intake on 00 sc400?

how many are running the SRT on any sc400? i read the install of it somewhere in these forums, but wow thats alotta work! Anyone else have any dynos or expeirence with it?

Im thinkin of getting a short ram intake, some kind of header and a single exhaust (dunno if all those bends and dual are really necessary, maybe after the merge to a 3 inch single exit pipe would save some weight and make a few hp) , torque converter and an safc to keep it tuned. Anyone running any of kind of similar mods?
Old 04-05-04, 10:53 PM
livesc400
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: SRT intake on 00 sc400?

Originally posted by Cannonbear
how many are running the SRT on any sc400? i read the install of it somewhere in these forums, but wow thats alotta work! Anyone else have any dynos or expeirence with it?

Im thinkin of getting a short ram intake, some kind of header and a single exhaust (dunno if all those bends and dual are really necessary, maybe after the merge to a 3 inch single exit pipe would save some weight and make a few hp) , torque converter and an safc to keep it tuned. Anyone running any of kind of similar mods?
A short ram intake may work if the proper piping is used. I am researching ways to draw as much cold air in the motor as possible. Theoretically, the SRT intake will produce very similar power gains as the GS400. We have the exact same motor, essentially the same tranny, just different exhaust. The GS400 is about 2.5" piping where the exhaust meets and the SC is around 2.25" or so. This is why our SC400's have 290hp and the GS400 has 300. If you check some posts by Jbrady, he seems to be quite knowledgable of the LS400 exhaust which shares similar piping to our SC's. If you probably replace the center resonator with 2.5-3" Y pipe or pehaps an X pipe then run some free flow mufflers, (Magnaflow, Borla, Dynomax, JIC, Greddy/Trust) you will achieve about the same performance as a GS400. This is what I am planning to do. I also plan to remove the two secondary resonators for a better sound. The key is not to run piping so large that back pressure is lost. This results in poorer low-end acceleration which you may make up in top end. A good balanced exhaust system is key if you want to force a little more cool air in the motor. As far as a torque converter, I am not sure how a high stall will work in our cars. We have a 3.23 gear ratio stock and it will take quite a bit to get the torque converter going at a high stall speed (2500+). Perhaps a lower stall setting may suffice. I guess we just have to face it. There just aren't very many performance mods for our car. This is where the creativity factor and research plays in. With some homework, I'm sure we can make our cars quite potent. Maybe the SRT or Rod Millen super charger will work in our cars. If you check www.lextreme.com,you will find info on a Turbo LS400 (not VVT-i) but still quite promising. There are some crazy SC400's in Australia as well. Those Aussie's know their SC's/Soarer's .

Hope this helps...
LiveSC400