Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

93 sc300

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-04, 10:46 AM
Twirl
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 sc300

well after a little searching a much disapointment, i don't think i will be able to find the manual tranny in which every1 is searching for, the good news is i found a 93 sc300 auto. with almost 75k original miles and the car is in immaculate condition. there are no dents or dings in the body what so ever, no rock chips or misalignments, the interior looked like it came out of a 30k car, and was beautiful. The only drawback i found on this car was the auto tranny, the dealer is asking 9,900 (with a little negociating and cash in hand i believe it can be reduced) i have wanted an sc300 for a couple years now and i need to find one in the next 3 weeks or so. I am definately starting on the na-t project as soon as i get the car, (im a college student so the pieces will come in with the money, but with a job providing parts at 10% over cost, it will ease the pockets ever so slightly)
Now where my question comes in, should i jump on this great conditioned auto? or wait for a fair to worn manual?? If i were to go with the auto, i would want to do the tranny swap later on (with a big emphasis later), Is the auto to manual swap hard? worth it? expensive? and is the building of an sc300 na-t auto. worth it? I am looking for around 4-500hp, i know the auto. tranny cannot withstand these numbers, and the tranny swap is definately needed down the road, but would i be happy with the auto. na-t around 350 or so for a little while? Does the 6spd tranny fit the jze-ge engine?

All help is much appreciated, and if the auto. is not a smart choice i would like some support on my patience finding the manual b/c the more and more i think about it, the auto. doesn't sound too bad. But maybe that is just my lack of patience and me getting excited about finally getting into the car i want.
Old 03-30-04, 11:02 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aye man, patience is a virtue.

I looked seven months to find my car and it was a VERY long seven months. I wouldn't settle, if it's a manual you want then stay focused and get it. If you look long and hard enough you'll find the right one and be satisfied in the long run. Just make sure you have money in hand when the opportunity arises, I had to pass up two clean 5MT's because the cash flow wasn't right.
Old 03-30-04, 11:13 AM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

Check the classifieds Twirl. There is a beautiful 95 Platinum SC300 5 speed. for sale there. Little more money but worth it.
Old 03-31-04, 04:17 PM
Twirl
Pole Position

it's a nice car, the interior is really worn, and the worst part about it is it's in texas, im in north florida, that's a good bit aways heh, any1 know of any f/s sites / classifieds where i can locate the sc300 i want?
Old 03-31-04, 04:32 PM
Twirl
Pole Position

eh???? whatcha guys think? http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...r=&cardist=226 134k miles, the modding would be slow b/c im a broke **** college student, and 134k seems a little high for me, might be 200k by the time i get all the parts i need for the turbo set-up,
Old 04-03-04, 04:39 PM
Derf
Rookie

Question - Why do you want a manual? If you like it and enjoy driving a manual - hang on and get what you want in the car. Because in the end you will be a lot happier. But if you are getting the manual because it is quicker with the turbo or the auto won't make the times you want or take the power - you are wrong. Boostlogic can up grade the stock sc300 trans to take the big horse power and give great times. Check out the Supra forms under Boostlogic - several supras are running the modified trans and they love it. That is the route that I am going with my 97 sc300. Due your research, but in the end it's your car and do what you enjoy the most.
Old 04-03-04, 04:51 PM
Derf
Rookie

Ok, I missed the second part of your question. I have a 97 sc300 that I am curretly installing the boostlogic turbo kit. I am looking at running 400 to 450rwhp on 16 to 17 psi and 550+rwhp on race gas and high boost. Is it worth it? 97 s300 - $12500.00 + turbo kit $6500.00 installed + autotran up grade $2000.00 = $21,000 and 1 real fun car. Do I think that it is worth it? Most definitly!!!!!!!! But like I said earier, its your car and do what makes you happy.
Old 04-03-04, 06:17 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Twirl
it's a nice car, the interior is really worn, and the worst part about it is it's in texas, im in north florida, that's a good bit aways heh, any1 know of any f/s sites / classifieds where i can locate the sc300 i want?

Interior?
The stock SC seats need to go -- big time. They were made for a fat old guy who weighs 300 Lbs. Being 6"1 and 160, I slid around like a fish when I cornered in my first SC400. Look for a set of supra seats -- they give you more head clearance too. As far as the handbrake and steering wheel go, get something nice done -- SC300Turbo had a beautiful TRD three spoke on his 95. If you can get parts at cost+10% you must work for a lexus dealership (I did!) in which case replacing interior components is a snap. Can't tell you the number of times techs would have the entire dash outside the car.

Find a car that hasn't been hit up badly and just needs some TRD. Ahh, I mean... TLC.

Distance?
I live in MA. I just got the title on friday to the car I purchased in San Diego. Don't talk to me about far away!

In closing:

Be patient -- I'm taking this year off from college, and I didn't want to pay over 10k for my SC300 5 speed. I've been wanting this car since the time I registered with CL (look to the Left). I've been searching for the past 7 months or so. I missed out on a 95 SC300 5sp with black leather interior -- the guy sold his ~75k car for $8000.

Find the MT SC you want, then close on it quickly. If you don't someone else will.

in a nutshell: Work like a sniper. Wait patiently for your target -- be selective -- but when the occasion arises, do not hesitate to pull the trigger.

John

Edit: my other right!

Last edited by SupraCoup3; 04-04-04 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-05-04, 10:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally posted by SupraCoup3
Interior?
The stock SC seats need to go -- big time. They were made for a fat old guy who weighs 300 Lbs. Being 6"1 and 160, I slid around like a fish when I cornered in my first SC400. Look for a set of supra seats -- they give you more head clearance too. As far as the handbrake and steering wheel go, get something nice done -- SC300Turbo had a beautiful TRD three spoke on his 95. If you can get parts at cost+10% you must work for a lexus dealership (I did!) in which case replacing interior components is a snap. Can't tell you the number of times techs would have the entire dash outside the car.

Find a car that hasn't been hit up badly and just needs some TRD. Ahh, I mean... TLC.

Distance?
I live in MA. I just got the title on friday to the car I purchased in San Diego. Don't talk to me about far away!

In closing:

Be patient -- I'm taking this year off from college, and I didn't want to pay over 10k for my SC300 5 speed. I've been wanting this car since the time I registered with CL (look to the Left). I've been searching for the past 7 months or so. I missed out on a 95 SC300 5sp with black leather interior -- the guy sold his ~75k car for $8000.

Find the MT SC you want, then close on it quickly. If you don't someone else will.

in a nutshell: Work like a sniper. Wait patiently for your target -- be selective -- but when the occasion arises, do not hesitate to pull the trigger.

John

Edit: my other right!

Don't spend all that time and money for new seats just beacuse you slide around on them. ( I don't like leather myself for that very reason...my IS300 has cloth). Get a good sheepskin cover for maybe $100 to start...fuller ones cost more. They stay cool in the summer, warm in the winter, grip your torso really well even without high side bolsters, and the best ones come in a variety of colors....so you should be able to find one you like.
Old 04-05-04, 07:34 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by mmarshall
Don't spend all that time and money for new seats just beacuse you slide around on them. ( I don't like leather myself for that very reason...my IS300 has cloth). Get a good sheepskin cover for maybe $100 to start...fuller ones cost more. They stay cool in the summer, warm in the winter, grip your torso really well even without high side bolsters, and the best ones come in a variety of colors....so you should be able to find one you like.

That would work (and is good advice if you like sheep skin), except that at 6 feet, I'm a little tall for the stock seats -- the MKIV seats lower you about 1.5 inches, or so I'm told.

JT
Old 04-08-04, 08:12 AM
Twirl
Pole Position

lol i won't question you on your distance in finding a car, i now know that i will more than likely have to have it shipped or take a good long *** road trip with one of my boys, nowwwwwwwwww here's where my expertise comes in handy =D don't talk to me about being tall lol im 6'6'' muhahahahah, i don't really have to much of a problem with head space, the seats go back very far, and rock back for a little bit more room hehehehe, within the next month i will be buying my car, (it's not now b/c i just moved out last week) i see some perks and cons of buying from cl members, the perks being, that i know the car was probably well taken care of and what not, but the con is that the possibilities for it being ragged out are slightly higher

my main concern really now is the car itself, i want the gunmetal gray (or metallic grayish blue, whatever u wanna call it) with the black leather interior, i love the color scheme of it, and if it's not a 97+ the conversion is totally feesable. =) i just want into my lex asap, i hate my truck and want a real car.

i have around 10-15k or so, i want to finance so i can have around 250 a month payments. (more than likely gonna just take a loan outta the bank), i know from first hand expirience that i should wait for what i want, but i am being rushed right now b/c my truck isn't going to last too too much longer =(, guess im gonna have to settle for any good deal on a 5spd i find really... =(

Last edited by Twirl; 04-08-04 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-08-05, 07:09 PM
svtdubs
Lead Lap

I just got a 95 SC300 with 59k miles on it yesterday, picked it up today, and plan to do a supra TT motor swap, SP63 single on stock fuel, Boost logic built auto with 3200 stall (daily driver). Its going to be sweet not having to drive my 1000hp cobra vert in the winter anymore

I just want the sc to make about 500 or more rwhp and run in the 10's or so and be my daily driver, that will make me happy until I get my CPE Twin Turbo Viper later on!

I say get the best SC out there you can afford and go built auto, it will be faster at the same power level....
Old 11-09-05, 04:58 AM
DETUNED
Lexus Test Driver

THis thread is well over a year old. Twirl already bought the Auto long ago and is still plannign on swapping in a w58.
Old 11-09-05, 11:18 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

i'd say it depends on your goals. If you strictly like drag racing and the comfort of an automatic, then get an automatic. It's easier to find better condition automatics than 5 speeds. Or find a very cheap automatic and convert to 5 speed/6 speed. Several people have done it. Since you have less than 3 weeks to buy a car, I don't think being patient for a 5 speed is an option.
Old 11-09-05, 02:27 PM
DETUNED
Lexus Test Driver

Dude, did you not read what I wrote above you? TWIRL bought a car long ago. This thread is over a year and a half OLD!!!!

Quick Reply: 93 sc300