Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

car dies out, what's wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-04, 12:58 AM
soarerboy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help! im scared!!! or am i just paranoid?

ive owned my sc for a couple months now... 92 sc300 w/ 103k miles... seemd to be running perfect just needed a new timing belt mechanic said... i recenly gunned it on a straight away and at around 40 mph i decide to switch the Ect thingy on.... i got up to 80mph on the street before i had to stop, i get to a stop light and my car dies and i had to restart the engine i ... could it be the need for a new timing belt? i got the belt changed and havent had the problem since... was that it??? im scared i might have a lemon!!!

a 93 na supras timing belt would fit mine right??? well it seems like it did...

any feedback would be appreciated, thanks in advance

Last edited by soarerboy; 03-22-04 at 12:59 AM.
Old 03-22-04, 07:08 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

not to be an a$$ but we need more info to help you. i know if you were breaking extremely hard it can cause a huge air draw from the motor which is known to stall out a car on some occasions....if its a five speed. if its an auto i would think maybe low gas in conjunction to a fuel filter being dirty and causing a disturbance.

did you throw any check lights?
give us ur tranny and how exactly the situation happened and im sure someone on here will have some assistance for you.

good luck

marshall
Old 03-22-04, 08:31 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by vipsoarer
not to be an a$$ but we need more info to help you. i know if you were breaking extremely hard it can cause a huge air draw from the motor which is known to stall out a car on some occasions....if its a five speed. if its an auto i would think maybe low gas in conjunction to a fuel filter being dirty and causing a disturbance.

did you throw any check lights?
give us ur tranny and how exactly the situation happened and im sure someone on here will have some assistance for you.

good luck

marshall
He did mention he has ECT; therefor he has an automatic transmission.

Chris
Old 03-22-04, 08:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Re: help! im scared!!! or am i just paranoid?

Originally posted by soarerboy
ive owned my sc for a couple months now... 92 sc300 w/ 103k miles... seemd to be running perfect just needed a new timing belt mechanic said... i recenly gunned it on a straight away and at around 40 mph i decide to switch the Ect thingy on.... i got up to 80mph on the street before i had to stop, i get to a stop light and my car dies and i had to restart the engine i ... could it be the need for a new timing belt? i got the belt changed and havent had the problem since... was that it??? im scared i might have a lemon!!!

a 93 na supras timing belt would fit mine right??? well it seems like it did...

any feedback would be appreciated, thanks in advance
What do you mean by "switching the ECT thing on"? "ECT" could mean any of several things. Please be more specific....there are several ECT functions.......NORMAL, POWER, SNOW, TRAC OFF, TRAC ON, etc.... for the transmission and traction control functions.

The only explanation for the timing belt alone would be if it, under stress and hard deceleration, was so worn that it was allowing the timing to get so far off that the spark plugs couldn't keep the cylinders firing properly. You could restart the engine because at a dead stop the belt was not under stress.
Old 03-22-04, 09:07 AM
DIrEctQL

Default Re: Re: help! im scared!!! or am i just paranoid?

Originally posted by mmarshall
What do you mean by "switching the ECT thing on"? "ECT" could mean any of several things. Please be more specific....there are several ECT functions.......NORMAL, POWER, SNOW, TRAC OFF, TRAC ON, etc.... for the transmission and traction control functions.

The only explanation for the timing belt alone would be if it, under stress and hard deceleration, was so worn that it was allowing the timing to get so far off that the spark plugs couldn't keep the cylinders firing properly. You could restart the engine because at a dead stop the belt was not under stress.
ECT is Electronically Controlled Transmission. Means only one thing.

Chris
Old 03-22-04, 09:12 AM
Millatyme
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem where my car would stall perriodically... turned out to be justa lose neg. connector for my battery that was tightened to solve the prob.... maybe this would be a quick and painless solution.
Old 03-22-04, 09:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: help! im scared!!! or am i just paranoid?

Originally posted by DIrEctQL
ECT is Electronically Controlled Transmission. Means only one thing.

Chris
Yes, true, but my question dealt more with what mode the ECT was in when the previous caller has this stalling trouble. Power, Snow, etc.. modes determine how it shifts, what gears it starts and stays in, etc...
It is possible, but not likely, that the transmission computer was confused by the rapid starts and stops if the caller was playing with the mode buttons as well.
But, as I posted earlier, my guess is just a worn timing belt that allowed the spark to get too far off during the stress of a panic stop.
Old 03-22-04, 09:52 AM
DIrEctQL

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: help! im scared!!! or am i just paranoid?

Originally posted by mmarshall
Yes, true, but my question dealt more with what mode the ECT was in when the previous caller has this stalling trouble. Power, Snow, etc.. modes determine how it shifts, what gears it starts and stays in, etc...
It is possible, but not likely, that the transmission computer was confused by the rapid starts and stops if the caller was playing with the mode buttons as well.
But, as I posted earlier, my guess is just a worn timing belt that allowed the spark to get too far off during the stress of a panic stop.
I see you have an IS. There is no such SNOW option in the SC. ECT means one thing only.

Chris

Last edited by DIrEctQL; 03-22-04 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-22-04, 10:15 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: help! im scared!!! or am i just paranoid?

Originally posted by DIrEctQL
There is no such SNOW option in the SC. ECT means one thing only.