Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

engine upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-04, 09:41 AM
LEXBOGGY
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine upgrades

Heloo all, I was wondering has anyone with a SC400 had there heads ported and polished? and also has anyone used that turbonator thing in their intake?
Old 03-21-04, 09:48 AM
europaUO
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: engine upgrades

Originally posted by LEXBOGGY
Heloo all, I was wondering has anyone with a SC400 had there heads ported and polished? and also has anyone used that turbonator thing in their intake?

there is JACK **** for the sc400 in performance =( but if you are brave enough or wait

www.lextreme.com is making a turbo kit for the sc400. also dont buy the turbonator... that thing is a rip off.

if i were you id get cold air intake via www.lexussc400.com. get custom made exhaust with magnaflow mufflers, as you said heads ported and polished. custom made pistons 11:1 i THINK to get some more power out of it. also a safc-II by Apexi could help you get around 10 hp. another great link for our cars is :

www.planetsoarer.com

edit: also on www.lexussc400.com they sell a dragon torque converter which helps you out great in the low end. also you could get an oil cooler tranny kit, this helps a little bit, i think you can pick one up from www.summitracing.com . Since all the superchargers for this car are in austrailia, we dont get ne =( Personally im saving up for a custom turbo setup in a place in atlanta. i hope this helped. agian ill just post some of my fav links:

www.nopionline.com
www.planetsoarer.com
www.clublexus.com [of course!!!!!]
www.homemadeturbo.com
www.lextreme.com

Last edited by europaUO; 03-21-04 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-21-04, 10:13 AM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont forget Rod Millen to. RMM makes exhaust and an intake for the 400 i believe.
Old 03-21-04, 12:46 PM
SCV8
Instructor

I've done a little to the ports, but more to the airflow meter.
The ports are pretty decent, however, while I had the intake off for a starter replacement, I stuffed some well oiled bits of rags into the ports, and did some clean-up to the dividers where the ports go to each intake valve.
The cast surface left a rather blunt surface, and I knife edged the situation for a noticeable increase in all around power.
The airflow meter is a little easier to get at, and there are some blunt surfaces in the entry that will serve you better if they were to be rounded a bit, as well as a rubber gasket that can find it's way into the path of air.Another thing; the aircleaner that Lexus has provided is a bit small; I went to a larger one and noticed a difference as well, since I understand that the injector duty cycle has been maxxed out from using the aftermarket piggyback ecu.
After doing al of that, I ported out the airflow meter .125" on one surface inside, and raised the fuel pressure to balance it all out.
I'm currently using a Unichip fuel/spark controller (piggy back ecu) as well.
The ecu was the first thing to be installed, and all the other mods together have given about the same increase in power as that, so it's running pretty good right now.
Old 03-21-04, 06:03 PM
europaUO
Driver School Candidate

if i ahd the money id buy the jdm version of the 1uz and buy the supercharger kit from aus.

rod millen is the only guys who amke a cai intake for us.

Last edited by europaUO; 03-21-04 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-21-04, 07:27 PM
Fred Smith
Pole Position

JDM version? What's the difference?
Old 03-22-04, 02:12 PM
europaUO
Driver School Candidate

there must be some size or hp difference, cause the aus and japan superchargers will fit them. ill look more into this. and since ur in aus, you got it, us usa guys get scaled down **** for no reason. god i hate this country for the cars!

Last edited by europaUO; 03-22-04 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-22-04, 02:57 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

rod millen is the only guys who amke a cai intake for us.
All RM uses is a MAF adapter and a cone filter. There are a couple more out there.

As far as a port and polish, I don't believe anyone has done this yet. I'd probably get some reground cams before a port and polish.
Old 03-24-04, 12:37 PM
Fred Smith
Pole Position

Europa,

the only differences I know:
1. You get a more free flowing exhaust than our JDM cars
2. Maybe something about more o2 sensors for the US?
3. You have EGR and AFAIK we don't

There is no difference to the size or shape of the engine. There is no reason I can see, apart from maybe some tiny fabrication to get around a hose here or there, why the superchargers shouldn't fit your motor?

You hate your country for cars?????????? Hello.... you have the best selection of cars in the world. Try over here... no GM or Ford sports cars. No Dodge. All the Euro brands sell jack of their selection and theyre REALLY expensive. Hell, the SC4 wasn't even imported here - we had to import them privately, and now the gov is shutting the door on that to protect they're local crappy cars. What do we get made locally that they call a "sports car"? We get family sedans with a faulty underpowered 350 chev shoehorned in it. Woopeee.

About the best thing we will have left after the gov bans personal imports will be the WRX. And we only get the 2.0 turbo over here. Quit whining. America is obviously the best place on earth for cars. duh.
Old 03-24-04, 02:41 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Fred is right. The reported differences so far is that US cars have EGR and differences in O2 sensors. I know this from my own experience while having my headers from AUS installed.

There have been no reported differences between a US and JDM engine.
Old 03-24-04, 04:31 PM
europaUO
Driver School Candidate

i was refering to the import sections, yeah v8's are america's legacy , i guess thats why the jap companies dont like us, lol
Old 03-24-04, 05:01 PM
Fred Smith
Pole Position

OK, what do we get that you don't?
Old 03-24-04, 07:25 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by europaUO
i was refering to the import sections, yeah v8's are america's legacy , i guess thats why the jap companies dont like us, lol
The 1uzfe has been reported to make some beastly numbers. You maybe confused with the other models of soarers that we never got ie. the tt with active suspension.

I don't believe it's the the japanese that hates the US market but the US market never took to japanese sports cars during that period. For example, look at the supra, rx7, 240, and 3000gt. It's not that they were bad cars, it's just that the demand at the time was low so the product was pulled.
Old 03-24-04, 09:07 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

cars the us don't get:

Skyline (G35 doesn't count - R33, 34 etc... )
SR20DET 240SX ( s13 - s14 - turbo's were shipped everywhere but US )
240SX S15
97-00 300ZX
Maxima V8 version
Soarer TT
Porsche 959

these are just a few i know immediately off hand....
Old 03-24-04, 10:21 PM
Fred Smith
Pole Position

As far as I know, we don't get any of those either. But because there aren't even any domestic alternatives, we have had to import. This is also an option in the USA, but people don't do it much. The Australian government is doing its best to stop us though. We don't even have Mustangs, Camaros and Vettes to fall back on. We got nothin'. I was looking at importing an 89 Mustang for dragging. Looks like that's too much of a threat to our local car market though, and the government is about to outlaw it.

Quick Reply: engine upgrades