Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

I need an opinion

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-04, 04:34 PM
sc3boost
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I need an opinion

Ok first of all i know how to use the search button but i wanted to get some feedback.

92 sc300 5spd yada yada yada yada.
i'm confused, i head all the good stuff about my engine"2jzge" then i hear all the good things about the 2jzgte, but before all the people who hate answering the same question over and over start telling me to search i did that already, anyway i read on this forum that the gte can hold like 500hp more than the ge,how true is that, can oil squirters and pistons make that much difference, also i heard the heads can be swaped, this is a mod that i will be intrested in, but when you swap them what do you do about the sensors, vac, and all that other lexus junk do you use the gte or the ge throttle body.
i'm looking for about 400hp to start off with "i already know toyomoto makes the best kit" but you know how it is when you upgrade, one year with a 400hp sc and you'll want a 600hp sc, everyone has different opinions on how much power the ge can hold saftly but i usually just take the lowest hp rating that i get, so i need the the real big dawgs who own 500-900hp sc's to chime in, turbos cams ignition aem ems and all that other sh@# can wait for another time, i just want engine info.is it worth it to do a gte swap i mean really function i know speed cost money and you pay to play but if i spend $11'000 on an engine swap i better be getting a lifetime supply of blo -jobs, alot of people have na-t sc's and are happy, is there anyone here with a 2jzgte swap that has more than 800hp, if not is it possible to build the internals of a ge to gte specs, seriously if i put low compression pistons, is this all i need to change to have a ge that could hang with gte, i mean have you seen the prices for ge engines($700-900) compared to gte engines(3000-5000), why would you pay $3500 for an engine simply because it has a turbo, when you know that you are going to toss out once it in the car, a set of top of the line pistons may run 1500, i don't know for sure just an example don't hold me to the prices would'nt it be better to put these in a ge engine and run like 22lbs of boost, "JUST ASKING" now i'm not saying i'm the smartest person in the world but i think i'm missing something, why is this gte engine so popular if the ge engine is so similar in power potential if i turboded a ge engine i would make 400hp same as a gte right " correct me if i'm wrong"

i would like to hear from all the high hp sc's i need to clear some stuff up before i start spending money
is putting in a gte a personal prefrence over a na-t................

also i have a poll for everyone who reads this, if the gte and the ge could hold the same power, and they were both very easy to come and were the same price which would you put in your lexus gte or na-t
Old 03-19-04, 05:06 PM
Angel
Lead Lap

*sigh*

There are 2 main reasons to do a swap ...
1) to get the 6 speed along with the deal
2) because you did something dumb and blew up your GE, may as well upgrade

Otherwise, I think a lot of people do the swap just so they can say "I got a Supra TT engine in there" ... in my opinion, it is a bunch of BS.

The GE can probably handle 1000hp too, it is just that no one has had the ***** to try it. I see no need to swap out a perfectly good, solid, reliable block just because someone else tells you that another one may be stronger. Truth of it is, the motors are VERY similar, the blocks are nearly identical, and the only weakness really lies in the tranny.
Old 03-19-04, 05:19 PM
quikturbo
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I chose the gte because I didn't want to freshen up my GE motor and plus I got lucky to find a us spec motor with low miles. Guess I'm just a chicken for not wanting to stick with the GE and go NA-T. I knew I was going for 700+rwhp and the GTE is proven. I'm not always a pioneer

I do in fact think going NA-T is a GREAT route to go. There are many more options out there now for the GE. Guys like Angel, Jon (Lex Luthor) Gadget, lexcoup, etc... have been very successul with the NA-T route. You'll be able to put down tons of power through the GE. I would recommend going NA-T.

Good luck
Chris

Last edited by quikturbo; 03-19-04 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-19-04, 09:59 PM
Fred Smith
Pole Position

That is the single longest damn sentence I have ever seen.

No you cannot swap the GTE head onto the GE without one hell of a lot of work. An ENORMOUS amount of work. As far as I know, there are 2 people who have done it. They don't recommend it.

The GTE has its pistons and chambers designed for low compression. If you leave the stock pistons in the GE and add a thick head gasket, you get the compression right, but the squish is now all wrong. Some say this could stop you getting maximum power out of it. They are probably right. But what is "maximum power" ? 700? 800? 1000? 1200? Who knows.... but there are plenty of people making good numbers on the GE-T.. numbers that you are going to need a huge bankroll to require the GTE to beat. I'm talking you're going to need 20k$ at least.

Also, didn't ebanks use a GE (seriously built) to get 980rwhp?
Old 03-19-04, 10:04 PM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

ethans motor was a ge with gte valve covers for asthetics.
that thing was a beast.
Old 03-19-04, 10:06 PM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by quikturbo
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I chose the gte because I didn't want to freshen up my GE motor and plus I got lucky to find a us spec motor with low miles. Guess I'm just a chicken for not wanting to stick with the GE and go NA-T. I knew I was going for 700+rwhp and the GTE is proven. I'm not always a pioneer

I do in fact think going NA-T is a GREAT route to go. There are many more options out there now for the GE. Guys like Angel, Jon (Lex Luthor) Gadget, lexcoup, etc... have been very successul with the NA-T route. You'll be able to put down tons of power through the GE. I would recommend going NA-T.

Good luck
Chris

hearing this from someone that has done the gte swap definitely puts everything into perspective. That pretty much made my decision for me. Thanks Chris!
Old 03-21-04, 02:32 PM
sc3boost
Pole Position

ok so let me get this straight, no one really knows how strong or how much hp the ge motor can hold?
i mean really if i blow up my engine i will want to upgrade.
what is the highest hp and torque that anyone ever made with a na-t, and the highest boost limit, the truth is i'm looking for low 11sec so i know i'll have to swap trannys, are you guys saying that it is easier to find a full clip with engine and tranny than it is to find a tranny alone?
and before i forget whats the deal with the head gasket, how safe is it really ,someone said it would'nt have enough SQUISH, so will i be better off upgrading pistons, or will the proper gasket work fine, because not right now but after a year or so of having a turbo i know and i can bet my life that i will want more power so the real question is what is the maximum limit of a ge motor if anyone knows, i'm not going to the max just want to cover some ground, cause from the way some people are talking (not any of you fine people here)
it's almost as if no one ever test the limits of the na-t , who will be the brave soul to take one for the team and boost their na-t to 25 psi .
but on a serious note, is it that no one ever pushed a ge to the limit or people are scared, no offence to anyone

thanks ........................
Old 03-21-04, 02:46 PM
sc3boost
Pole Position

almost forgot everyone is free to get the engine of there choice, me included, i was just looking into not spending 11 grang for 330hp. if my engine did blow up i would think about a swap but my engine just past 70,000 on the odometer 1992sc, 12yrs young so i think my engine will be in good shape after i get rid of the big *** puffs of white gas filled smoke everytime i drive, but thats another topic, and i'll fell like i'm on top of the world if i make the same power as someone with a gte swap while spending 10,000 less( extra money for rims, body kits, seats, tien, and condoms) but which ever way you goo good luck....
Old 03-21-04, 03:08 PM
Angel
Lead Lap

DaveH - NA-T 601rwhp (or something similar), 10.XX @ 125+MPH, original motor, just swapped in a thick headgasket.

He has the record for most HP and fastest time, AFAIK.
Old 04-08-04, 09:45 PM
sc3boost
Pole Position

danm
10** on the stock engine, just the head gasket, how much boost is he running, and do you know what engine management he is using. if you can do that withe the stock engine then why do people do the swap for the same results, i think i have to see that to believe it 100% is his car gutted out, you know what i think i'll just find him and ask him myself, if thats true then that means the mighty gte better watch out.
but at 10 sec it must be at the limit right.
Old 04-15-04, 06:00 PM
Derf
Rookie

I am in the middle of my na-t mod on a 2jz-ge. I have a 97 sc300 and I am installing the boostlogic turbo kit. Boostlogic kits are out standing. Now I am looking at running 410 rwhp to 450 rwhp everyday on 16 psi of boost and 550+ on high boost and race gas. This car is my everyday driver to work so I do not think that I am going to go to much over this. To do this up grade I am looking at $6000 to $7000 for the turbo kit install and $2000. for upgrade to transmission. If you want a list of parts that I am installing look for my post on boostlogic turbo for 97 sc300. I have done a lot of research and I see no reason why the -ge motor can't take this. In the end it will come down to what you want. Do your research and take everything you read with a grain of salt.
Old 04-17-04, 04:16 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Proof the GE can handle it

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=ebanks

Here he talks about 28 PSI

Finally

James
Old 04-19-04, 11:30 PM
sc3boost
Pole Position

ok the ge engine can handle but for someone like me that has a bad ge engine, which i will be swaping out for a good one, it's still better to get the gte and just drop it in while the engine is out right................
Old 04-20-04, 11:30 AM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

you can usually pick up a perfectly good functioning ge motor for a couple hundred dollars as opposed to at LEAST $2k for a jdm gte that wont pass emmisions. USDM motors cost much more.
Old 05-04-04, 11:30 PM
sc3boost
Pole Position

thinking of getting a gte bottom end and put it on my existing enging.
this shoul be better rightd

Quick Reply: I need an opinion