Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Suprastore's turbo kit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-04, 05:07 PM
lex1997
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suprastore's turbo kit?

Does anybody have this kit from suprastore.com ? They say you get like 350hp at the flywheel, what will I need to buy or do to get like 400hp to 450hp at the flywheel?

Here is the kit: http://www.suprastore.com/sinturconkit.html

$4060 is not a bad price is it?
Old 03-04-04, 06:22 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The turbonetics kit is the old F-Max kit if I remember right. They bought them out a year or so ago. Look up F-Max in a search. Most setups will be very similar in types of parts used. This setup still uses the mass airflow sensor. I am tired of using a system like that so I got rid of it. The rule is you get what you pay for. The cheaper a kit appears, the less parts it usually has naturally. When you add it all up it gets pretty close anyway. I would recommend doing a ton of research before you buy unless you buy a kit used.

You can, however, get a very decent setup for around $10,000. The pain and suffering come up when you nickel and dime every vendor and it takes you six months to find the parts you want.

Even worse is buying things and then upgrading them again and again and again.

I am not detering you from getting the kit. Tell the folks here a budget and let them hash out a setup. Be aware of the folks that lowball every price because they will mislead you and blow your budget. Remember there is shipping, tax, etc.

Last edited by Hermosa; 03-04-04 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-04-04, 07:29 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah Fmax got bought by Turbonetics; and I have now actually seen the manifold up close; and it is a cast manifold now and looks great... i dunno if it was redone from before; but the one i saw had the GE bolt pattern and looked awsome; you can get it from nearly any Turbonetics dealer by itself if you want

for a complete bolt on kit its great... the Boostlogic kit gives you a equal length manifold for around $4800...

Its somewhat true that the cheaper a kit gets the less stuff it has; but dont use that as a rule; get a list of all the parts that are needed for the kit; and then check the list of parts that come with the kit you're looking at

the turbonetics kit is complete however; so is the boostlogic kit

You do have to pay for high quality stuff; but not $10k... those days are over... there's a whole slew of manufacturers out there making parts for these kits... the manifold, intercooler piping, and downpipe pretty much being the only motor-specific stuff you need anyway; everything else is generic...
With all the manufactuers out there now the prices are getting driven down everyday and one can really begin to gauge how much money SC300 turbokit manufacturers were really making 2 or so years ago... which me and a few others kept trying to point out but no one would listen; or told us that it just couldnt be done for cheaper prices And then in comes the boostlogic kit, the Dave H kit, and the whole roof comes crashing down
Old 03-04-04, 07:42 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a list of the REQUIRED parts for a NA-T kit (well pretty much required, easy to skimp but not worth it):

-manifold that lets the turbo you pick fit
-turbo based upon how much power you want
-wastegate that can flow enough air for the turbo
-wastegate dumppipe
-intercooler of some sort
-intercooler piping and silicone couplers
-blow-off valve
-downpipe
-oil lines
-spark plugs (NGK 3330s)
-working stock setup, all maintenance done beforehand
-intake, from the turbo to the AFM
-AFM to filter adapter
-Walboro 255 (GSS341) fuel pump
-boost gauge

this gets you going and the car can be driveable at this point and make lots of power... limit on stock compression is around 8-12psi of boost depending on timing retard and fuel control... i wouldnt go over 330rwhp with this setup (figure out how much power the turbo would be making at that level on stock CR)

other stuff you will most likely want if you want more power and other things:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Wideband O2 sensor and datalogger
-clutch if you're a 5-speed
-stall converter and/or tranny buildup for an automatic
-ls400 AFM or toss that and the fuel control and get an AEM or FAST system
-440 or 550cc injectors that fit stock rail
-adjustable fuel pressure regulator and fuel pressure gauge
-some sort of fuel and/or spark control like a SAFC or Emanage( can do both)
-headgasket (many choices here)
-boost controller of some sort
-obviously needing bigger/better tires/rims

at this point you start hitting the limits of things... the manual transmission doesnt like big power, etc
there are a couple options with that... the V160 from the SupraTT or the R154 from the MKIII turbo supra (with a bunch of other stuff to make it work) are both strong transmissions to be able to use
then there's traction which becomes a huge issue at this point... you'll need a LSD from a SupraTT auto for direct bolt up; the manual SupraTT has a much lower ratio and is far to long for the R154 or W58 tranny and it needs the axles as well

and remember this is just for performance; looks and polishing, etc is a totally different ballgame

Last edited by Bean; 03-04-04 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-07-04, 10:04 AM
lex1997
Driver

Here is everything that F-max includes in the kit .

Is this enough for like 400HP-430HP at the flywheel ? Or I'm gonna have to get more stuff.

Thanks.

FMAX SC300 Turbo Kits Include:
- T04E-60 Turbonetics Turbo
- Thermocoated Cast-Steel Turbo Manifold
- Thermocoated 3" Mandrel-Bent Downpipe
- Turbonetics Evolution 35mm Wastegate
- Spearco W.A.V.E Front-Mount Intercooler
- MF2 ERL 3D Map Injector Controller
- MSD Boost Timing Manager (BTM)
- 440cc Lucas Fuel Injectors (2)
- Turbonetics Raptor Bypass Valve (BOV)
- 3 Bar Map Sensor
- K&N Air Filter
- (1) Case TS-1 Synthetic Turbo Oil
- Install Instructions & Wiring Diagrams
- All Necessary Hardware & Fittings

For Engines: 2JZGE
Boost: 8 PSI
HP Gain: 120+ HP (safely on stock engine)
Turbo Efficiency: 500hp
Old 03-07-04, 02:49 PM
Derf
Rookie

I have researched the f-max and the boostlogic kits. After much research I am going with the Boostlogic. I have listed all the parts in the tread on "has any one used a boostlogic kit". I am going to get 300rwhp off wastgate, 450rwhp off of 10 to 14, and 550rwhp 25boost/race gas. Now these numbers are rough because I am still waiting on the kit but from working with somepeople who has done supra na-tt conversions this should not be to far out of wack. If your going for 400+, you will also want to mod your trans. When I get my kit I will post photos.
Old 03-07-04, 03:40 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Derf
I have researched the f-max and the boostlogic kits. After much research I am going with the Boostlogic. I have listed all the parts in the tread on "has any one used a boostlogic kit". I am going to get 300rwhp off wastgate, 450rwhp off of 10 to 14, and 550rwhp 25boost/race gas. Now these numbers are rough because I am still waiting on the kit but from working with somepeople who has done supra na-tt conversions this should not be to far out of wack. If your going for 400+, you will also want to mod your trans. When I get my kit I will post photos.
Boosltogic is the better way to go if you are going to make some higher horsepower in the future. Derf, the 450rwhp off 10-14 psi is quite a lofty goal. You would want some better engine management than stock to handle the timing issues when you get that high. I have only dealt with OBDII SCs and cannot speak for OBDI.
Old 03-07-04, 04:16 PM
Derf
Rookie

Originally posted by Hermosa
Boosltogic is the better way to go if you are going to make some higher horsepower in the future. Derf, the 450rwhp off 10-14 psi is quite a lofty goal. You would want some better engine management than stock to handle the timing issues when you get that high. I have only dealt with OBDII SCs and cannot speak for OBDI.

These numbers were given me by some supra guys that have done na-t. They may have been streching the truth. Once I get the kit and get it installed I will post the "no ****" results. One thing I have learned while researching this, is that you have to take everything that you read and hear with a grain of salt.

But hey with this kind of investment - why not dream big.
Old 05-27-04, 10:56 PM
badsport40
Driver School Candidate

heres some of what the turbonetics comes with
Attached Thumbnails Suprastore's turbo kit?-project.jpg  

Last edited by badsport40; 05-27-04 at 11:03 PM.
Old 06-01-04, 05:20 PM
240_Keyy
Pole Position

Hmmm, the boostlogic kit looks to be pretty nice, but I can't find anything on what fuel management it is using, does it just use the stock stuff?

My wife is really itching to turbo the SC now that she has the taste for drifting, and I am all for it
Old 06-05-04, 05:51 PM
Derf
Rookie

Just got done installing the Boostlogic kit and all I can say is WOW. The Boostlogic parts are High quilty parts. I just dyno last week for the first time and on 93 octane 14 lbs made 382 rwhp. We had fuel and exhaust problems so we had to stop. I have them fixed and heading back to the dyno. At 16 lbs we see no reason not to be in the 425 rwhp range now.
Old 06-12-04, 04:37 PM
Derf
Rookie

Just got done installing the Boostlogic kit and all I can say is WOW. The Boostlogic parts are High quilty parts. I just dyno last week for the first time and on 93 octane 14 lbs made 382 rwhp. We had fuel and exhaust problems so we had to stop. I have them fixed and heading back to the dyno. At 16 lbs we see no reason not to be in the 425 rwhp range now.

Fixed fuel and exhaust problem and redyno. On 93 octane 16lbs = 424.5 whp. Tried to go highboost but ran into another problem. No hurry to fix this one, very happy running around on 16lbs -425whp. After I fix this next problem we should be well in the 500's at 25lb.

Boostlogic kits with a t61 is a VERY nice kit.
Old 06-12-04, 09:13 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Fixed fuel and exhaust problem and redyno. On 93 octane 16lbs = 424.5 whp. Tried to go highboost but ran into another problem. No hurry to fix this one, very happy running around on 16lbs -425whp. After I fix this next problem we should be well in the 500's at 25lb.

Boostlogic kits with a t61 is a VERY nice kit.
You must be at the point where timing is becoming a real issue. EGT hot?
Old 06-12-04, 09:27 PM
Derf
Rookie

Originally posted by Hermosa
You must be at the point where timing is becoming a real issue. EGT hot?
The problem I am having with the high boost is that the wastgate only has a 9/10 lb spring and the boost controller is having a problem holding any thing over 19/20. So I am going to put a 15lb spring in there since I want to run around on 15/16 lbs for my daily. That should let me get up to 25. As for timing - don't know. EGT have not installed the gauge yet. Got it. Just have not come up with a good way to mount it and my boost gauge. I know my exhaust was getting hot because of the the restriction, the exhaust manifold glowed a nice orange. Since I have replace the exhaust that has not been happening. At 16 timing does not seem to be an issue. It is running real nice.
Old 06-21-04, 09:01 AM
wickedsc
Driver School Candidate

These numbers were given me by some supra guys that have done na-t. They may have been streching the truth. Once I get the kit and get it installed I will post the "no ****" results. One thing I have learned while researching this, is that you have to take everything that you read and hear with a grain of salt.

yeah thats some great power considering some supra owners might have bent the truth. I will say this who exactly help do this project. Was it supra owners or lexus owners. No disrespect intended to the lexus crew of course. By the way any names on who worked on the car and got it running right.

wickedsc

Quick Reply: Suprastore's turbo kit?