Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

EGR / Code 71 Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-04, 03:47 AM
Hi-psi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR / Code 71 Issues

Guys,

A while back the car developed a Code 71 (EGR) which I've read many of you have taken care of by just disabling the EGR with the resistor trick. Here's my problem. The instructions on this page: http://www.mohdparts.com/egr_mods/defeat/index.html are a bit confusing. The two pictures contradict each other. If you go by the top photo, the connector it shows the resistor in is the end that goes to the EGR temp probe. Obviously, this will do nothing to "fool" the ECM. The diagram below that shows that the resistor should go in the end that it back behind the intake, which makes sense. I disconnected the plugs yesturday, put the resistor in the end that is part of the harness (not the end that is the probe) and taped everything up good to seal and secure it. Cleared the ECM as well. Well after driving the car for about 30 minutes, it set the code 71 again. Any idea why the resistor didn't work, or what could be setting the code if it's not the EGR? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-02-04, 08:22 PM
philauldridge
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EGR code

Did you reset the ECU (by disconnecting the battery completely for 3-5 minutes), the codes are stored in memory.

otherwise, seems like you have the right idea. You DID use a 10k ohm resistor, right? Finally, you could try just cutting off the connector (save enough length in the leads to re-use if needed later), and soldering the resistor between the two wires to insure a good connection.

The ECU is programmed not to turn on the EGR code unless it encounters a low temp from the probe (i.e., the resistor) for over 4 minutes, on TWO separate driving occasions, so that may be why it took a while for the code to come back