Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC300 Wont Start after unhooking the Battery??

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-04, 02:32 PM
TrboDANDEE
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC300 Wont Start after unhooking the Battery??

Ok guys, i got a problem with my car. I was installing my system today, just ran all the wires under the carpet, to the trunk and engine bay. I unhooked the battery so i could tighten up my 4 gauge power wire. After all was done, i slapped the battery power cable back on and the car wont start!

Here's what it's doing... The battery cable is tight, i go inside the car to start it up, everything lights up bright in the gauge cluster, but as soon as i press on the clutch and crank the ignition, it just clicks once and everything on the gauge cluster dies down. I try it again and everything is off, nothing. I go inside the engine bay, unhook and hook the battery cable again and everything lights up. I crank the car and it does it again, one click and everything dies!

Does this car have some kind of "safe mode" that i gotta reset or something? If this ever happened to yall, can yall tell me how to fix it?

Thanx in advance!
Old 02-22-04, 03:18 PM
Millatyme
Lead Lap

More than likely your batteries cold cranking amp are mot adequate for the load you have added. Also your battery is probably dead. No "safe mode" that i know of the would stop your car from starting. Look into getting a larger battery that will still fit. I just got one that is almost double what the car spec.s require. Thats probably your perp. right there.....
Old 02-22-04, 03:25 PM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

If you've got a Multi-meter, run a load test on the battery.
If you've got a jumper (whether it's cables or one that plugs in the wall) try jumping and starting the car.
If that works, your battery needs a charge or you need a new battery.
Also....did you fuse your positive(audio) within a foot of the battery?
Old 02-22-04, 09:23 PM
TrboDANDEE
Driver

thanx for the response guys, i figured out the problem. I jumped the car and it started right up, i guess i need a new battery cause it was too weak. howcome it was starting good before i unhooked the battery?
Old 02-23-04, 05:52 AM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet this is a connection problem. It sounds like high resistance (probably due to corrosion) somewhere in the circuit. Has the battery cable end been replaced? If yes, take it apart and clean it. Then check the connections on the other ends. Also check grounds.

Sometimes these things are real obvious if, after you've done your disconnect/reconnect routine, you have someone else turn the key while you watch & listen under the hood. There might be some spark or arcing noise that will tip you off to where the problem is.

George
Old 02-23-04, 10:33 AM
TrboDANDEE
Driver

the damn power cable end is corroded, i couldnt get the bolt off, i think im gonna have to cut it off and replace it. but it was fine before i even unhooked it.
Old 02-23-04, 01:45 PM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No it probably was on its way out anyway and you just helped it along a little. Better to replace it now than get stranded somewhere. Those after market cable ends almost always cause problems. I suggest, if money isn't too much of a problem, go with an original cable with the molded end.

George