Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

i have a chance at turboing my sc400

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-04, 06:56 AM
europaUO
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i have a chance at turboing my sc400

well, i found a place in jacksonville, fla. They gave me a quote on a TT setup on the V8. We have been conversing over several moths and we got it set to $4,500 for the whole job. This includes custom manifold, piping, intercooler, bov, and the other thingys we need. Do you guys think i should do it? Im saving up cash for a while, and this might be one hell of an investment, imagine, the looks on the faces at the SELOC meat :-D

Well please gimme feadback,

Thanks
Old 02-19-04, 08:19 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

$4500.00
Old 02-19-04, 08:29 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

4500 is like free... do it.
Old 02-19-04, 09:26 AM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

Do it immediately.
Old 02-19-04, 10:21 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

i thought you could not do a single turbo on the v8 engines because of space limitations etc hence why the gs v8 that were turboed had to be twin turboed at a staggering cost in excess of 30k
Old 02-19-04, 12:10 PM
europaUO
Driver School Candidate

we did some more research, and he wants to slap in a slug, heh, but with some engine building after this, it could easily slap down 400 whp. the est. horses when it goes on at 8-10 psi is about 300-320 hp

and yeah, i am going to do it, heh

their work is excellent, if you wanna check em out,

www.essentialspeed.com

and, er... yes it can be turboed, for the guy up there who thinks it cant,

it will take about 6 weeks.
but who CARES?!?!?

and you can move the battery to trunk, and remove winshield washer. and the fusebox to make room.

Last edited by europaUO; 02-19-04 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-19-04, 02:40 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by europaUO
we did some more research, and he wants to slap in a slug, heh, but with some engine building after this, it could easily slap down 400 whp. the est. horses when it goes on at 8-10 psi is about 300-320 hp

and yeah, i am going to do it, heh

their work is excellent, if you wanna check em out,

www.essentialspeed.com

and, er... yes it can be turboed, for the guy up there who thinks it cant,

it will take about 6 weeks.
but who CARES?!?!?

and you can move the battery to trunk, and remove winshield washer. and the fusebox to make room.
I think you missed the point. Nobody doubts you "can" do it. The problem is that it's difficult to do this. Also consider that in SC3 you don't have to move anything and the there is a great aftermarket, yet it's still very expancive. Just to be sure, have some more money in case it will go over $4500. There is a big chance it will.

Chris

Last edited by DIrEctQL; 02-19-04 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-19-04, 04:50 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

I've always thought there would be room for a single if :

1)
you moved the battery to the trunk or got a small one

mounted the turbo in the battery tray area with the compressor inlet pointing at the driver side of the car

ran the downpipe under the motor and crossmember

ran the ic piping down to the IC then back up the other side

2)
you mounted the turbo in the intake area at an angle where the compressor inlet was pointing at the headlight housing

ran the downpipe under the motor and crossmember

ran the ic piping down to the ic then back up the other side

ran a super short intake

this could all be assisted by removing the fan shroud and getting 2 or 3 very hirpm electric fans with smaller shrouds
Old 02-19-04, 05:27 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Right about now is when I step in to be the A hole; You can't do it. It can't be done and will never happen.

Now please, prove me wrong and give all of us 400 owners something to talk about. Good luck but for $4500 I have my doubts....

James
Old 02-19-04, 08:33 PM
DontHateSc
Rookie

if it can be done then ill be really happy for you, but the sc300 turbo kits are more expensive and a LOT easier so i dunno..

one more thing, your name is europaUO, does that have anythign to do with the computer game UO?
Old 02-19-04, 08:42 PM
HotBoy
Lead Lap

Hold on a few questions
1) he said TT right so he means twin turbo ?
2) If you do mean twins, then where do they go there may be room for one as bean said but 2 ?
3) How could you even get the parts for $4500 ? ( If this can be done at this price I would drive my car from Cali over there and stay for a week or so )
4) that seems like a lot for 40 horses if you are putting down 300 isn't stock like 260 ?
5) Aren't our SC4 engines pretty high compresion engines ? And wouldn't that mean to boost em we would need different pistons ? or something like that.
I don't know much about boosting a NA car, I lived in Australia for a while and what I do know from turbo's all relates to factory turbo'd cars like skylines and TT soarers )
I just can't believe it man as much as I would love to.
I mean turbo's, intercooler, bov, piping, relocating battery, electric fans, stock injectors ?, fuel management ?, wastegates, pistons ?, custom manifold and intakes, downpipe,
I am sorry man but I can't even see how you could pick up all these parts for under $4500

Where is hermosa I think he is pushing FI on the SC4's I bet he will know some stuff here
Old 02-19-04, 10:10 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

$4500 seems a bit too low. But, it can be done as a TT as long as the design follows Lextreme's LS400 design- turbos mount under the engine. Oil return will be a problem. David experienced this as well. Plus, can never lower the car. Better to go with single, and relocate the battery and fusebox.

Altstadt
Old 02-20-04, 09:34 AM
HotBoy
Lead Lap

Hey I am having trouble getting my ehad around a single setup on a V type car.
Where will te turbo attach to the manifold. If there is a turbo on one side and not on the other wont backpressure be drastically uneven ?
I don't even know if I am explaining what I want to say right. If anyone understands this could they help me out here.
Old 02-20-04, 10:57 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

if one wanted to do it a bit more cheaply as far as manifold setup; they could just make a type of Y-pipe between the two stock manifolds and put a T4 flange on the end (this can be done cheaply or elegantly depending on alot of things)

or even a nice set of headers and joining both of them together too...
Old 02-20-04, 12:07 PM
HotBoy
Lead Lap

Maybe I am a little of track here but with that kind of pressure feeding the turbo could you not use a really big one. Firing 8 cylinders o exhaust gas instead of 4 or 6 into it it wouldn't take that long to spool up would it ?
Would it not be tricky with our space restrictions to run these pipes to the turbo then piping to dump the exhaust gas then piping for the IC, that is a lot of pipes.
I am really intrigues in this project but am having trouble wrapping myself around it.

My son is 6 so if we keep working together by the time I rebuild it with him maybe we will have it figured out.

Quick Reply: i have a chance at turboing my sc400