Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Changing Clutch, have a few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-04, 11:25 PM
240_Keyy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Changing Clutch, have a few questions...

Hey all, I am changing the clutch (factory replacement) in the SC tomorrow and I just had a few quick questions.

1. How do you get the trim piece off from around the center consol to get to the shifter? Does it just pull off or something?

2. is there anything in particular that I should look out for? I am talking about little quirks with getting the tranny out or any problems I might run in to.

I am assuming that I have to drop the exhaust, driveshaft, remove the slave cylinder, starter, etc, but are there any wierd things i should look out for. So far I have only swapped clutches on 240's (done 8 so far since August) and they are cake to work on, but I am not so sure about the Lex.

Let me know any tips you may have on anything that you feel will be helpful.

Thanks!!!
Old 01-24-04, 06:15 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Changing Clutch, have a few questions...

1. How do you get the trim piece off from around the center consol to get to the shifter? Does it just pull off or something?
I don't know about the '93, but it just pops out on my '95.

2. is there anything in particular that I should look out for? I am talking about little quirks with getting the tranny out or any problems I might run in to.

I am assuming that I have to drop the exhaust, driveshaft, remove the slave cylinder, starter, etc, but are there any wierd things i should look out for....
When i removed my clutch, I used this article as a guide posted by Chris Bergeman of HPF for the TT Supra: http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/tech...placement.html It shows what tools are required and how to access all the bolts. Also, don't forget to replace the throwout and pilot bearings.

The rest is from memory...

First DRAIN THE TRANNY FLUID. The 5-speed isn't sealed once you pull the DS out of the tranny output shaft. I know from *experience*. The fluid will come pouring out when you tilt the tranny down after removing the cross member brace.

Also, you don't have to remove the entire DS. Just remove the forward DS shaft with center bearing that attaches to the transmission. You should be able to leave the aft shaft, connected to the pumpkin, in place.

The rest of the removal is pretty much like the HPF article. You will need an air rachet and long extensions to get to the upper bell housing bolts once the tranny is tilted down. Removal of the starter is *not* required. However, the bell housing bolts around the starter are a real ***** to get to.

Sorry, but that's all I can remember. It's all just a foggy memory now...

-scott
Old 01-24-04, 08:35 AM
240_Keyy
Pole Position

thank you VERY much Scott

I knew about draining the tranny actually, and i also found out the hard way When I did my motor swap in my 240 I was under the car when we dropped the tranny and I had nice used 190k mile tranny fluid drain all over me. I had to throw the shirt and pants away because that god awful smell would not come out
Old 01-24-04, 08:41 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Keith,

BTW, one thing to make note is that the Supra 6-speed tranny uses a pull-style clutch. Our 5-speeds, however, are push-style. Consequently, you won't have to unbolt the pressure plate prior to removing the tranny as shown in the HPF article. Just remove the bell housing bolts, and the tranny should back out quite nicely.

-scott
Old 01-31-04, 06:13 PM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: Changing Clutch, have a few questions...

Originally posted by motorheaddown
I don't know about the '93, but it just pops out on my '95.

The rest is from memory...

Also, you don't have to remove the entire DS. Just remove the forward DS shaft with center bearing that attaches to the transmission. You should be able to leave the aft shaft, connected to the pumpkin, in place.

Sorry, but that's all I can remember. It's all just a foggy memory now...

-scott
Scott, your memory looks good to me.

the area around the shifter pops out on mine too(92), I think they are all the same
remove the cup holder 1st then there were a few screws you need to remove, then pretty much ever thing pops out.

When I did mine I took out the whole drive shaft, it was easier for me. Mine wouldn't separate so I just removed the whole thing.
Old 01-31-04, 11:14 PM
Angel
Lead Lap

I have never drained the tranny fluid when pulling the tranny (5 times now).
Old 02-01-04, 01:05 AM
240_Keyy
Pole Position

I just got finished about an hour ago with the swap. It took about 6 hours of actual work, but the whole process took about 10 hours because we stopped to watch a couple of tv shows and eat dinner and stuff like that. It was a VERY straightforward job and I would say that it is actually easier than changing the clutch in a 240.

Oh and about changing the tranny fluid SDSC300, are you sure you had any in there?

thanks for the input guys...
Old 02-01-04, 08:07 AM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

Originally posted by 240_Keyy

Oh and about changing the tranny fluid SDSC300, are you sure you had any in there?

?? I didn't say anything about that, I think you were refering to Angel. Cause I drained mine 1st
I agree with you 240_keyy it's a fairly straight forward job.
Old 02-01-04, 10:53 AM
Angel
Lead Lap

Pulling the tranny and putting it back in can be done in under 2 hours without even draining the fluid. Trust me.

Just don't disconnect the driveshaft. My tranny is pulled right now, I can do out and get a picture and show you, not a drop of tranny fluid on the floor.
Old 02-01-04, 06:21 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

leave the driveshaft connected to the tranny and the pumpkin? or just disconnect only one end of it?
Old 02-01-04, 07:47 PM
Angel
Lead Lap

Disconnect it from the pumpkin.

Would you guys like me to take a pic of mine in its current state ?

Last edited by Angel; 02-01-04 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-01-04, 08:11 PM
240_Keyy
Pole Position

but why disconnect it from the pumpkin? All you have to do is spearate it at the center thing and it comes off in a nice small piece. seems like it would be a pain to take it off from the pumpkin, not necessarily difficult, but in the way...
Old 02-12-04, 08:28 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Driveshaft disconnected from pumpkin? ....probably to give more clearance... The tranny has to come back quite a way. Makes sense to me. Either way, if you get an aftermarket clutch, I'd advise having the plate and flywheel balanced as a whole before putting them on the car.... I've had two bad aftermarket pressure plates cause a shimmy because they weren't properly balanced. Those aftermarket clutch makers have Quality Control that severly lags Lexus standards.