Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help! anyone know about electrical issues?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-04, 10:29 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Help! anyone know about electrical issues?

Hey fellas (and lovely ladies of course!), I have yet another problem. The ol' 92 SC300 has some sort of electrical problem I believe. When I'm driving the radio will blank out and the sound will die as if the radio shorted out, then my clock will reset and my "check battery" light will flash for a split second. The radio will then come magically back to life as if nothing happened but the clock remains reset at 1 o'clock. I've also noticed that when I exit the car and remove the ignition key the telescopic steering wheel will slowly, slowly, slowly lift out of my way (as if the steering wheel motor isn't getting enough power) and the interior dome light will dim and/or flicker. Does anyone know what could be causing this? At first I thought it was the battery but if that was the case the radio, lights, etc. wouldn't work. I had the alternator rebuilt a few months ago by a shop I've been dealing with for years so that shouldn't be the problem either...Hmm? What could it be, what could it be?...
Old 01-15-04, 11:08 AM
fc3s7
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd wager you've got a flaky connection somewhere - most likely the battery terminals. Make sure they're clean and tight, and make sure your battery is tied down and isn't jostling all over creation.

If the battery looks OK, move to the main power wire to the alternator and make sure that's connected well. I'm leaning towards the battery, though.

Dale
Old 01-15-04, 12:41 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Thanks Dale, I figured that may be the case after calling around to a few of my buddies. I just had the valve cover gaskets and radiator replaced so perhaps the mechanic didn't tighten the battery cables well enough once he put the battery back in. Hopefully that's it...I'll take a look at the wires tonite once I get home and get a free minute. Thanks again, have a good one.