Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

turbo on high mile 5speed

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-04, 04:58 AM
xBlkGs430x
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo on high mile 5speed

i have a 1992 sc3 5spd. its for sale but now im thinking to keep it. it has 160.000miles. is it a good idea to go turbo on the motor or is that too many miles to go turbo. the motor is very smooth, i did a nice tuneup and now its running really nice. how many miles do the sc3 last.
Old 01-13-04, 11:39 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: turbo on high mile 5speed

Originally posted by Ali Hamed
i have a 1992 sc3 5spd. its for sale but now im thinking to keep it. it has 160.000miles. is it a good idea to go turbo on the motor or is that too many miles to go turbo. the motor is very smooth, i did a nice tuneup and now its running really nice. how many miles do the sc3 last.
Do an engine swap. You'll get lower milage engine and the engine bolts up to your 5 speed transmission just fine. The swap should be fairly comparable to a turbo kit both in performance and cost. You can get 2JZ-GTE for 2200 dollars.

Chris
Old 01-13-04, 01:54 PM
Philly#1 Lex
Lead Lap

Do an engine swap. You'll get lower milage engine and the engine bolts up to your 5 speed transmission just fine. The swap should be fairly comparable to a turbo kit both in performance and cost. You can get 2JZ-GTE for 2200 dollars.

Chris

2200! Where? is it Japanese spec?

Philly
Old 01-13-04, 01:56 PM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by Philly#1 Lex

Chris

2200! Where? is it Japanese spec?

Philly
Yes, it is a J-spec but it doesn't come with ECU and harness. This guy on supraforums.com offered such a deal to me. Compression and leakdown tested. He had three of them.

On another hand I just purchased an Aristo TT clip for 3550 dollars. It comes with 2JZ-GTE motor, automatic transmission, stock intercooler, stock fuel pump, stock rear end (non-LSD), and some other things. Cool, huh?

Chris

Last edited by DIrEctQL; 01-13-04 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-13-04, 02:11 PM
Philly#1 Lex
Lead Lap

Yes, it is a J-spec but it doesn't come with ECU and harness. This guy on supraforums.com offered such a deal to me. Compression and leakdown tested. He had three of them.

On another hand I just purchased an Aristo TT clip for 3550 dollars. It comes with 2JZ-GTE motor, automatic transmission, stock intercooler, stock fuel pump, stock rear end (non-LSD), and some other things. Cool, huh?

Chris

Chris is there anyway you share the info on where you can get a clip from, if everything doesnt work out with my SC400 I might look into a 2jz, only on worst case scenario. Because I love my 400.

Philly
Old 01-13-04, 02:16 PM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by Philly#1 Lex

Chris

Chris is there anyway you share the info on where you can get a clip from, if everything doesnt work out with my SC400 I might look into a 2jz, only on worst case scenario. Because I love my 400.

Philly
I got the clip from Jarco Inc. but that was the only Aristo clip they had. Look around for Aristo TT clips on the internet.

If you want just the engine for 2200 dollars I can PM you the guy's screen name. You can talk to him about the details.

Chris
Old 01-13-04, 07:36 PM
xBlkGs430x
Lead Lap

if anyone knows someone selling a 2jz-gte let me know how much would it cost for the harness and the ecu.
Old 01-13-04, 10:15 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Normally you are going to get the harness that the engine has on it. The ecu's can be found routinely from $225-300, less if you are very patient.
Old 01-14-04, 05:56 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I really think the most bang for the buck is a 1jz-gte swap *with* R154 tranny. There have been a couple on ebay with trannies that have BIN for $1800. There's one listed on there now with a starting bid of something like $1350. Shoot, I paid more than that for my 6-speed tranny.

The only downside is getting a manfold built to go single. The exhaust ports, while superior to its bigger brother, have a different spacing and bolt pattern. The only chance of a bolt-on manifold is if SP's budget kit will fit on the OEM manifold. That's how Larry makes the kit so inexpensive. He uses the OEM manifold to bolt up a t4 flange. If budget kit works (and there's a *very* good chance it will), then you have a setup that allows for upgraded cams, a large FMIC with very little IC piping, oil cooled pistons, etc. The AEM should control it quite nicely

Yep.. that's what I would've done.

-scott
Old 01-14-04, 08:47 AM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by motorheaddown
I really think the most bang for the buck is a 1jz-gte swap *with* R154 tranny. There have been a couple on ebay with trannies that have BIN for $1800. There's one listed on there now with a starting bid of something like $1350. Shoot, I paid more than that for my 6-speed tranny.

The only downside is getting a manfold built to go single. The exhaust ports, while superior to its bigger brother, have a different spacing and bolt pattern. The only chance of a bolt-on manifold is if SP's budget kit will fit on the OEM manifold. That's how Larry makes the kit so inexpensive. He uses the OEM manifold to bolt up a t4 flange. If budget kit works (and there's a *very* good chance it will), then you have a setup that allows for upgraded cams, a large FMIC with very little IC piping, oil cooled pistons, etc. The AEM should control it quite nicely

-scott
That's funny you say that because most people I've talked to recommend not to do it. There is enough differences in that engine (you will need lots of custom stuff) that it is not worth it. It will be much more hussle because you can't even get parts for the engine in US.

Larry at SP was one of them that told me not to do it.

Chris

Last edited by DIrEctQL; 01-14-04 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-14-04, 04:54 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by DIrEctQL
That's funny you say that because most people I've talked to recommend not to do it. There is enough differences in that engine (you will need lots of custom stuff) that it is not worth it. It will be much more hussle because you can't even get parts for the engine in US.

Larry at SP was one of them that told me not to do it.

Chris
C'mon... $1350 for motor *and* tranny? That's crazy good. Plus, I've met a guy on the ALSC forum that's putting down over 400hp on the stock twins. If Larry's budget kit bolts up to the 1jz mani, then you've got real bang for the buck.

-scott
Old 01-14-04, 06:19 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

-scott
why use an AEM? the car is already MAP-based and an Emanage controls injectors very well....
i dont see the point in getting the AEM setup when trying to save money on the turbo and manifold itself now if you're talking custom tubular with a big boy turbo and some big big injectors now we're talkin
Old 01-14-04, 08:41 PM
bmsport
Lead Lap

Back to the question at hand. I also contimplated turbo'ing my higher milage lexus. I was afraid that the motor might not be worth turbo'ing at 135k. But you know what, when i pulled the motor out and took it apart, everything looked perfect! It would have made a fine turbo engine with maybe a valve job and a nice metal head gasket. Its not that the GE wouldn't make an excellent turbo engine, its just that in the long run, the GTE is superior in many other ways. The 2jz engine is by far the most reliable and well built engine i've ever delt with. I could see this engine going 500,000 miles without any major problems if you take care of it. I'd love to see one with that kind of milage on it! Anyone???

Last edited by bmsport; 01-14-04 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-15-04, 04:06 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

C'mon... $1350 for motor *and* tranny? That's crazy good. Plus, I've met a guy on the ALSC forum that's putting down over 400hp on the stock twins. If Larry's budget kit bolts up to the 1jz mani, then you've got real bang for the buck.

-scott
400hp on stock twin CT12a's??!?!?!
Old 01-15-04, 10:01 AM
xBlkGs430x
Lead Lap

now if i was to keep the stock motor. will it be a good idea to just go turbo with it or im i going to have problems with it since its high miles...the motor runs very smooth. but i don't know what will happen if i do a turbo. im looking to get 350rwhp out of the car with the stock motor. is that too much for it...will the tranny handle that.

Quick Reply: turbo on high mile 5speed