Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Clutch dead in the water.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-04, 08:51 AM
wouda
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Clutch dead in the water.

OKay.. I've done a search on this but I still have some questions..
First of all Happy New Year. went out of the country for the holidays and came back to find out that my clutch was long gone (thanks Dad for taking care of my car for me)
I want to get a good aftermarket clutch that can handle a few minor mods like exhuast, intake, etc. After doing a search I decided to go with a Centerforce II and just resurfacing the stock flywheel. Is this the best thing to do for someone only doing minor mods. I've seen mixed reviews for Centerforce, does it chatter badly.. and exactly what is chatter? Also since I'm dropping the tranny.. what other things can I do to improve tha SC300 5spd?
All you SC300 gurus out there (you know who you are) please let me know what you think. Thanks

One last thing.
Planning on buying the Centerforce from NOPI and the release and pilot bearings from Toyota. Will be installing it myself (with help) at my Uncle's repair shop.
Old 01-11-04, 03:46 PM
hwallen172
Driver

Unfortunately, I can't offer you much advice, but I would like to know how this works out for you because I'm almost in the same situation. My clutch will need replacement soon and I'm interested in my options. I'm inclined to go totally stock based upon an experience with an aftermarket clutch in a Nissan I owned.

I'm no expert, but I believe chatter is the skipping of a high performance clutch across the flywheel when it's engaged. The higher performance clutches have harder friction material in order to hold the higher power. This makes them harder to engage smoothly since there's a significant difference between their static and dynamic coefficient of friction. They stick hard, but you pay a price for that.

Where are you in GA? I'm in Atlanta.

Good luck with your project,
Wiley
Old 01-12-04, 07:05 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

wouda i have the centerforce II clutch with a resurfaced flywheel done about 5 months ago. When you first get the clutch it chatters for a while. After a few thousand miles it goes away. I don't really hear the clutch anymore, i mean maybe once in a blue i would hear the clutch chatter. The only thing is that the pilot or throwout bearing (i forgot which one) is pretty expensive. At least at my lexus dealer that i went to. Those 2 came up to around 100-105. Maybe i got ripped off. I don't know but that's how much it cost me. THe clutch will hold those minor mods that you mentioned. THe clutch feels natural on the car, it isn't doesn't feel aftermarket.
Old 01-14-04, 02:21 AM
MrJohnTan
Lexus Champion

I have an ACT clutch installed in my car. I am currently on ~500 miles in the break in period. So far no clutch chatter whatsoever and the pedal feel is pretty close to stock. I used the street disk with the heavy duty pressure plate. It came with all the bearings I needed. I had the same setup with my old car which was an MR2 turbo that put out ~350HP and had no problems with slipping. Im almost positive this setup can handle the minor mods you have planned for your car.

Since you are dropping the tranny, you can also install the TRD shortshifter if you have a 95-97. You can also gut out your cats since those have to come out anyways.
Old 01-14-04, 10:18 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

hey john did you like the way your car sounded after you gutted your cats? i was wondering how it sounded. i like the way my car sounds now, i have the borla exhaust (came with car). does it sound raspy? i'm looking for a deep smooth roar. like the apex exhaust on the supra turbo. the veilside is too raspy for me. anyway to get a sound clip of your exhaust?
Old 01-15-04, 06:00 AM
wouda
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info guys I'm still trying to figure out exactly what I'm going to get.. if the ACT doesnt chatter then I might just go with that. It seems that everything really depends on the breaking in period and on a experienced mechcanic installing it for you. I was planning on taking it to my Uncle's shop (thats where my car is sitting right now) but the guy thats good with Lexus/Toyota's doesnt work there anymore and I don't want to have to replace my tranny cuz of a ******-up on the mechcanics part.

MrJohnTan:
How much and where did you get your ACT clutch installed? The local dealer or at a tranny shop? Just trying to figure out who will do the best job. Also where a good place to buy one?

hwallen172:
I'm in Atlanta too. Nice to know there are fellow ATLiens here. When my cars ready I'll let you know maybe all of us in Atlanta can meet. I know there's a Southeast meeting every year. Hopefully my baby will be ready for that.

I'll let yall know what happens, I'm planning on getting this done by next week.
Old 01-15-04, 11:16 AM
fc3s7
Rookie

First off, are you SURE the clutch is bad? Typically clutches don't just "go out" - they slowly wear down. Unless your dad took it to the drag strip and was slipping the clutch all over creation .

I would look at your clutch hydraulics first. BTW, what exactly is the problem you're having? Can't get into gear? Slipping when you apply power?

If you're staying pretty light on mods (ie, no turbo) just get a stock clutch. Probably the cheapest of the bunch and of top quality. The stock clutch is actually pretty beefy, all things considered.

I'm not a big fan of Centerforce clutches - I think they're a lot more hype than results. ACT clutches are all business, though - VERY nice product. But, unless you're going for massive increases in torque, you don't need the extra holding power of a pricey aftermarket clutch - resurface the flywheel, put on a stock Toyota clutch, and put some good gear oil in the tranny.

Again, make sure the clutch is your problem before you spend the money!

Dale
Old 01-15-04, 08:29 PM
MrJohnTan
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by mrshabo
hey john did you like the way your car sounded after you gutted your cats? i was wondering how it sounded. i like the way my car sounds now, i have the borla exhaust (came with car). does it sound raspy? i'm looking for a deep smooth roar. like the apex exhaust on the supra turbo. the veilside is too raspy for me. anyway to get a sound clip of your exhaust?
Its loud. Everything in the car shakes at a stoplight and I get headaches from driving for over an hour. I also have an injen intake and that adds to the noise. The throttle response is a lot better though and definately a little more top end power. I havent heard my car from the outside so I dont know what it sounds like. I have no idea how to make a sound clip?

MrJohnTan:
How much and where did you get your ACT clutch installed? The local dealer or at a tranny shop? Just trying to figure out who will do the best job. Also where a good place to buy one?
I got the clutch for $275 and the install cost me $300. I got it done at SP Engineering.