Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Supra downpipe

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-04, 09:38 PM
2JZSoarer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Supra downpipe

well..I just completed a search on Supra's downpipe....it didn't really help b/c it didn't state whether they were talking about the NA or TT Supra...so....will someone that knows about this tell me whether the downpipe (NA or TT) will bolt onto a SC300 or not....I'm talking about the pipe where it's from the header down......I just want to know if that downpipe can be bolt on to my SC300's header collector...

thanks
Old 01-03-04, 10:08 PM
JDMJim
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

First off, N/A's don't have a down pipe so to speak. Do you have a GTE swap or a N/A-T conversion? I guess it wouldn't matter much, either way you wouldn't want to bolt it up to the exhaust flange and continue using stock exhaust anyway. I think the end of the down pipe on a Supra would be what your refering to as the collector?........................On a Supra TT the down pipe simply replaces the section of "cats" before the rest of the exhaust starts.

Jimmy
Old 01-04-04, 03:24 PM
2JZSoarer
Pole Position

the part that I want is the pipe after the elbow from the hot side....and I just wanted to konw if that pipe after the elbow (down pipe)can bolt on to my NA header collector..I'm not worrying about anything else than that for now...
Old 01-05-04, 08:50 AM
BoostCrazy
Driver

I doubt it. The Supra TT downpipe bolts directly to the exhaust housing/collector area of the stock turbo setup.
Old 01-05-04, 12:25 PM
Mikel
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by BoostCrazy
I doubt it. The Supra TT downpipe bolts directly to the exhaust housing/collector area of the stock turbo setup.
My 94 TT's exhuaust had 3 pieces.

The first peice bolted to the hotside of the turbo(s) and was roughly 12" long, terminating near the bottom of the firewall. The second peice, that's he's referring to I believe, bolts to that and runs back to a bit before the rear exhaust, the last piece is the downpipe.

I doubt it bolts up though, if you're talking about using the TT midpipe with an NA header/manifold. It wouldn't go far enough forward in the car to bolt up.
Old 01-05-04, 01:24 PM
theman
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Actually it depends what kind you use.
On a Supra turbo the manifold ends with a three bolt flange that bolts up to the precat. The precat is pretty much the actual downpipe. Then the midpipe starts with a two bolt flange theat is supported with a bracket to the tranny. It is this midpipe section that houses the main cat and is the same from Supra to SC.
Now what a lot of places sell as a downpipe for Supras is actually a single piece, mandrel bent, starting from the three bolt flange and including the midpipe all the way to where the cat-back bolts up.
So you just have to be sure what product you're buying.
Downpipes, like the RMM, Stillen, and such, won't work since they are the entire one piece style.
The type like this HKS Front pipe are the correct style needed for sc300s.
http://www.nopionline.com/index.cfm?...ipe&vaffid=876
also Random Technologies has this type of Midpipe available as well...
Old 01-06-04, 11:02 AM
MrJohnTan
Lexus Champion

The N/A supra midpipe which houses the second cat, is a direct bolt on to the SC300. I currently have one in my car, since my stock cat blew out and it bolted up to the pre-cat just fine w/o any mods.

I highly doubt the TT downpipe will work on the 2JZ-GE. If you look on supraforums under the N/A section, there are some people selling midpipes for the N/A cars which delete the cat. I do not have any first hand experience with those products.

Last edited by MrJohnTan; 01-06-04 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-06-04, 02:55 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

My midpipe has a hole so I started to do an engine swap insted of buying a new 1000 dollar midpipe. No joke.

Chris
Old 01-06-04, 05:21 PM
2JZSoarer
Pole Position

well..there's 2 cats on the SC300...on near the firewall right after the header..and then there's one in the middle of the car....

I'm trying to ask if there's a pipe from the TT can bolt on to my car and replace my first cat....(right under or near my firewall right after my header)
b/c it is possible for a 240 (US ed) using the S15 downpipe to do the same thing I am trying to do...
Old 01-06-04, 07:35 PM
2JZSoarer
Pole Position

ok....I just drew that ..and if it isn't correct...then pardon me...

anyway...I am referring to the dowpipe area....I am asking if I can replace that area and use a TT's downpipe...and I want to know if I can bolt that onto my header outlet's collector

THANKS GUYS!!!!!!!
Old 01-06-04, 07:55 PM
MrJohnTan
Lexus Champion

The TT midpipe will bolt onto the pre-cat (1st cat in your picture) and eliminates the main cat (2nd cat in your picture). The TT supra, NA supra, and SC300 midpipes are essentially the same. The TT supra doesnt have the pre-cat the SC300's do. There is no replacement for the pre-cat as far as i know other than gutting it out. There are no parts off of the TT manifold you can bolt onto the SC's manifold to eliminate the precat, because of the turbo setup vs. na.

Last edited by MrJohnTan; 01-06-04 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-07-04, 09:30 AM
2JZSoarer
Pole Position

hey thanks man....
but are you sure the 2nd cat is the main cat???
b/c on 240's...the 2nd cat is a hollow cat...where as the first cat is the main cat.....

THANKS MAN...!!
Old 01-07-04, 05:03 PM
MrJohnTan
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by 2JZSoarer
hey thanks man....
but are you sure the 2nd cat is the main cat???
b/c on 240's...the 2nd cat is a hollow cat...where as the first cat is the main cat.....

THANKS MAN...!!
no prob.

yeah, im sure. i just replaced both cats yesterday. ill post up some pics on another thread later on tonight.
Old 01-07-04, 07:40 PM
2JZSoarer
Pole Position

cool thanks ....the reason I ask is b/c I've seen a cat (supposely) on a 240 and the look of it is just like the cat...but when we put it out...it's just a shell with a hollow interior...just imagine an empty turtle shell...that's what it was..so then we move on up toward the header and that's the real thing...the cat...and we elimated with a downpipe off a turbo SR....well...thanks for your help man....I'll be waiting for the pictures for some more info and clearification(sp)...

THANKS
Old 01-09-04, 09:42 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay here is the pic of the SC300.

1) Front Federal 2) Rear Federal 3) Manifold Gasket
4) Heat shield 5) Front Federal 6) Rear Federal
7) Center pipe 8) Muffler and pipe Right 9) Tailpipe extn

Now here is the Supra NA.

1) Front Federal 2) Rear Federal 3) Gasket
4) Heat shield 5) Front Federal 6) Rear Federal
7) Center pipe 8) Muffler and pipe 9) Tailpipe extn
10) Hanger Front pipe 11) Hanger Center pipe 12) Hanger Muffler
13) Ring Rear tail pipe 14) Heat shield Converter front 15) Converter rear W/o sport roof
16) Converter rear W/sport roof 17) Center pipe Center pipe Right 18) Center pipe Center pipe Left
19) Heat shield Rear

Now here is the Supra Twin Turbo.

1) Exhaust manifold 2) Gasket Front 3) Gasket Rear
4) Heat shield 5) Converter and pipe Front 6) Converter and pipe Rear
7) Center pipe 8) Muffler and pipe 9) Tailpipe extn
10) Hanger Front pipe 11) Hanger Center pipe 12) Hanger Muffler
13) Ring Rear tail pipe 14) Heat shield Converter front 15) Heat shield Converter rear
16) Heat shield Rear

Last edited by Hermosa; 01-09-04 at 09:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Supra downpipe