Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Any Christmas boost yet for the SC400??

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-03, 09:21 AM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Any Christmas boost yet for the SC400??

Ok,... 6 months later,...do we stand anywhere closer to supercharged or turbo'd SC400's?
Old 12-26-03, 02:03 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ugh. I remember a lot of people upset that they were gonna have to pay more for the kit from AU and then Errol decided to let everyone order from him directly. Now I don't see anyone who has bought it. What happened there? All that complaining and then noone bought it anyway.

I'm gonna wait for Lextreme to finish his up his kit in June (fingers crossed) and get that one probably.
Old 12-27-03, 12:59 PM
Philly#1 Lex
Lead Lap

I really dont say much but if you make a capable turbo kit for the SC400. Iam in No B$. But I would like to see some results first. I would chip in the $250 if you needed it and by June i should have enough money saved up for a kit if it is around 4000. But only if the kit comes with everything. Will you use stock ECU? Also one question for you Lextreme. Do you think creating a manual sc400 would be just as beneficial as a turbo. I am trying to stock up a parts now. I think it would free up alot of power and make the 400 a real bad @$$. But i'll keep dreaming but let me know about the progress or keep us updated.

Philly
Old 12-27-03, 01:03 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats a shame. i was really looking forward to more boosted SC400s to join the ranks of the SC300s.

as for the whole "all talk and no action" thing, it seems to happen a lot on these forums. personally, i would never say "yeah! i'm in! sign me up!" unless i knew i had the money and could afford to do that upgrade.

one thought though... has anyone toyed with the idea of requiring some sort of down payment or something to that effect? it would cut out a majority of the people who would otherwise back out IMO.
Old 12-27-03, 04:24 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

I know the block would be able to handle more than 8 psi but what about the stock internals?

I wouldn't say I was in on anything until I had the cash in hand cause anything can happen but FI for my SC is on my "must do" list for next year.
Old 12-27-03, 05:09 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

The way my business is going right now,.. I'm definately feeling like FI for the SC4 is a good likelyhood for 2004.
Old 12-28-03, 10:02 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Vegas,

What about you? Didnt you have direct communications with Errol? The last I checked with Errol....he was still waiting for the intake castings. I posted to the list and zero replies. I couldnt just wait around forever....so I have moved on to finish up my Celica alltrac turbo this winter and then see what spring brings. My project for the alltrac includes the following...HKS VPC, HKS EGC, turbo kit upgrade, 550 injectors and fuel system upgrades, RPS clutch, Aussie full 3in mandrel exhaust ceramic coated, Whiteline full Works suspension upgrade...oh, and the car was already well tuned before this last round of mods.

Come springtime....I may buy an STI instead of boosting the SC4. The SC is old in design but works well for its age. I think we will keep it around for a daily driver...for a 92 it only has 80k and just about mint.
Old 12-29-03, 01:13 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

I dropped Errol an email and never heard back. I was pretty clear that I would not be ready to buy until early 2004. After doing a little research I was pretty sure I was going to go with Lextreme's S/C but now that has gone the way of the Dodo. There have been so many changes lately I might just go and buy a turbo'd Integra and call it a day for the SC400.
Old 12-29-03, 10:15 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Vegas,

That is funny....Lextreme and dodo in the same sentence. jk

Really, a turbo Integra is so far from the SC. Wow, I dont think we will ever sell our 92 SC....its so old, book value is a joke and yet it only has 80k for miles. It still looks new and drives perfect...its time to put it out for daily driver status and enjoy the car for what it is. The SC4 will never be a 500rwhp terror like my 87 Supra with the T61 turbo. Doh....nor will it be the Celica alltrac turbo I am finishing up...finished with the turbo decision...GT3037 for that one.

Its too bad there was no interest for the SC4 supercharger kit. Who knows...if springtime rolls around and Errol has his ***** together and a kit is avail...I still may want to slap it on the SC just for grins.
Old 12-30-03, 12:56 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

Well, I'm planning on keeping the SC regardless of what I do. The Integra would be more of a toy though and the SC would be a comfy daily driver. Considering I can buy the Integra for the same price as it would cost to turbo or S/C my SC, it's a pretty good deal. I love the SC and would never consider selling it.
Old 12-31-03, 05:18 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by Vegassc400
Ugh. I remember a lot of people upset that they were gonna have to pay more for the kit from AU and then Errol decided to let everyone order from him directly. Now I don't see anyone who has bought it. What happened there? All that complaining and then noone bought it anyway.

I'm gonna wait for Lextreme to finish his up his kit in June (fingers crossed) and get that one probably.
The problem is that there is no proof that the AU kit will even work on a US spec car. Many people (myself included) are waiting for pictures and dyno results prior to purchase. I'll even fly somewhere to see it in person before I acttually buy it anyway. It is up to the retailer to provide this information to the public to promote the product. If they don't promote the product to the US it will never sell here. Its just that simple! But I do know that they were having some serious problems getting it to work on our cars. Altstadt1 was buying a kit, but he was banned from the forum. Last I heard from him was that the kit was not yet suitable for a US car due to computer and fuel issues. But expect the US kit to be a bit more than the AU kits. Its looking like engine management will be a requirement for US cars, but we'll have to wait and see.

I'm always keeping an eye on this topic as I can't wait to buy a SC for my 400. As soon I find anything out, I'll always post it here.

Enjoy-
Keith
Old 12-31-03, 10:55 AM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone remember the headers which were made for the sc400? It wasn't until 2 years after they were first released did we find out publicly the US spec cars had an egr port and the aussie car didn't.

As much fun as it was to be the test pig for the headers, I don't think anyone wants to be the first to import the kit and find out if the kit does or doesn't fit the US spec car.

Last edited by verylost; 01-02-04 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-02-04, 05:12 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by verylost
Does anyone remember the headers which were made for the sc400? It wasn't until 2 years after they were first released did we find out publicly the US spec cars had an egr port and the aussie car didn't?

As much fun as it was to be the test pig for the headers, I don't think anyone wants to be the first to import the kit and find out if the kit does or doesn't fit the US spec car.
Yes, I got burned on that one too, so- one bitten; twice shy!
Old 01-02-04, 11:49 AM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

I think that's how everyone feels. That's why noone is pushing for the AU kit right now. It would have been a different story if Ryan had been a distributor and been responsible for making sure they worked on the US spec cars. At least someone in the States we could go to for problems.
Old 01-02-04, 12:08 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

facts

1. EFI has a US spec SC400 coming to them soon(may even have it already) for fitting.
2. As it stands EFI's kit won't fit US spec SC400. Yes it won't fit. that means it will not fit. no it won't fit. and finally, no it will not fit.
3. Rya-tuned was supposed to have fitted and tested the EFI kit by middle of October. People emailed complaining about his pricing in late october and november and december. Where is the test fitted car?
4. Support..... very gray area there since he had no physical shop where you can take you car to if you had a problem or something.
5. did anyone notice EFI's website? it still says "soon to come" SC400 kit.

I don't want to knock anyone. but I wasn't about to buy something from a shop with no address, no internet address, no technical background, no telephone number who accepts paypal, cash and check only.

I don't trust any shops/tuners/fabricators who raises R&D cash by taking orders for products that they don't have. Why should customers who pay retail still have to finance someone's R&D? if I finance someone's venture I expect to share in the profit. get my drift?

Quick Reply: Any Christmas boost yet for the SC400??