Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Bleeding Coolant System

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-03, 10:37 AM
LexusBiz
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Bleeding Coolant System

Hey All,

I've been trying to figure out how to get rid of the air in my cooling system after a recent flush performed. I read through several previous post on the subject. So far I have heard several different ways to go about bleeding the system.

Some people mention leaving the radiator cap off and running the engine till the air bubbles escape. Others said doing the same thing, except for leaving the filler plug open and not the radiator cap. And then there is the shop manual, it says to open the heater water valve and run the engine at 2K rpm to warm up the engine.

I assume the shop manual is the best way to get rid of the vapor lock bubbles. Does anyone know the specific procedure to bleed the system using the heater water valve? I assume I have to disconnect one of the tubes and start the car and let it run. If anyone can provide detailed instructions on how to bleed the system using the heater valve it would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks
LexusBiz
Old 12-08-03, 11:56 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Turn your A/C temp to max hot and the heater valve will open allowing the coolant to flow hrough the heater core and not just the engine.

gadgetSC-t
Old 12-08-03, 03:19 PM
fc3s7
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't really have any trouble getting the air out of my coolant system after my recent flush/fill - it's actually a pretty easy system to burp.

Make sure your overflow tank is at the Full level, fill it as best you can, start the car with the cap off, and top off if any bubbles come to the surface. Next morning, with the car cold, open the radiator cap and top off if necessary, and top off the overflow tank if necessary. I didn't even need to, it was fine.

Dale
Old 12-08-03, 03:30 PM
AFGuy0127
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best way I know of is run the car with the radiator cap off, but park the car on an incline, the front of the car towards the top of the incline. It's the best way for the air bubbles to work their way out of the system. I did this on my mk3 supra a lot, and it works pretty well.