Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

NA-T, car, limited slip? or no....?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-03, 03:53 PM
kmn5
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NA-T, car, limited slip? or no....?

How many of you guys out there run with a limited slip? either the TRD or the rear pumpkin from the auto TT supra....

If I go na-t, will the limited slip help all that much?
I'm not roadracing it every weekend, so will it even matter much with day to day driving (will it help much in the rain and snow?) and some spirited weekend driving?

thanks
Ken
Old 11-23-03, 12:15 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i think gadgetsc got a trd unit, may want to pm him to check this thread.
Old 11-23-03, 09:25 PM
bmsport
Lead Lap

I have a 6speed TT lsd in mine, but i'm not any help because the cars not finished yet. Ask me next month, lol.
Old 11-24-03, 07:41 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I do have the TRD unit. Its not installed yet. I am trying to gather all the info that I can because I may attempt this myself. If anyone has any useful information on this change...please share or point me in the right direction.
My reason for getting an LSD is the lack of traction. Its freaky when your rearend breaks loose at 45-50mph. This and some new 275 rubber in the rear should help.
Ken...I cant see why it wouldnt help in the rain or snow. (I really dont drive in either)

gadgetSC-t
Old 11-24-03, 03:16 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Originally posted by gadgetSC
... Its freaky when your rearend breaks loose at 45-50mph...

gadgetSC-t
Yes it is.
Old 11-24-03, 05:13 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had two different LSDs in the car. Supra TT Auto and Supra NA Auto. They do make a difference. It depends on what you want. The Supra Auto TT LSD is the same ratio as the TRD, 3.769.

Your gains depend on your gear ratio. On a SC300 with a 3.769 gear you will lose alot of torque compared to the stock ratio, 4.27. But what you loose in torque you gain in top speed. The 3.769 will cause your speedometer to be off by a good amount (higher). Using the Supra TT Manual LSD exaggerates this torque, top speed ratio since it is 3.133. If you want an accurate speedometer and maximum torque use the Supra NA LSD which is very rare. If you want higher speed but not as much torque then choose a different gear. Just be careful with gears since you don't want the engine to be in a bad powerband for your regular cruising speed or daily driving.
Old 11-24-03, 06:08 PM
DaveH
Rookie

I have the TT auto diff in my car... but my car still breaks loose at ~60mph

DaveH

Originally posted by gadgetSC
I do have the TRD unit. Its not installed yet. I am trying to gather all the info that I can because I may attempt this myself. If anyone has any useful information on this change...please share or point me in the right direction.
My reason for getting an LSD is the lack of traction. Its freaky when your rearend breaks loose at 45-50mph. This and some new 275 rubber in the rear should help.
Ken...I cant see why it wouldnt help in the rain or snow. (I really dont drive in either)

gadgetSC-t
Old 11-24-03, 06:10 PM
DaveH
Rookie

Just FYI, if you have a NA auto the speedo gear from the TT auto drops right in and corrects the speedometer.

DaveH

Originally posted by Hermosa
I have had two different LSDs in the car. Supra TT Auto and Supra NA Auto. They do make a difference. It depends on what you want. The Supra Auto TT LSD is the same ratio as the TRD, 3.769.

Your gains depend on your gear ratio. On a SC300 with a 3.769 gear you will lose alot of torque compared to the stock ratio, 4.27. But what you loose in torque you gain in top speed. The 3.769 will cause your speedometer to be off by a good amount (higher). Using the Supra TT Manual LSD exaggerates this torque, top speed ratio since it is 3.133. If you want an accurate speedometer and maximum torque use the Supra NA LSD which is very rare. If you want higher speed but not as much torque then choose a different gear. Just be careful with gears since you don't want the engine to be in a bad powerband for your regular cruising speed or daily driving.
Old 11-24-03, 06:50 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Dave,

How would one drop this gear in?

- Mike
Old 11-24-03, 09:22 PM
DaveH
Rookie

There are 2 speed sensors, one is a *hall sensor* type, and the other has a gear on it. I can't remember which one is front/rear. Anyway, you remove the gear type sensor from the trans, slip off the NA gear (little white plastic gear) and slip on the TT auto speedo gear and put the sensor back into the car. I think the gear was ~$20. Well worth it to have your speedo read correctly again.

I never found a fix for getting the 5-speed to have correct speedo readings with the different differential.

DaveH

Originally posted by Hermosa
Hey Dave,

How would one drop this gear in?

- Mike