Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

BFI Complete - Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-03, 07:40 PM
FaceUT
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BFI Complete - Pictures

Just finished the project today. With Peter Scott's advice and assistance, it turned out just great. I wound up using Lexan to make my top and side covers and it turned out to be a good choice. I bought a piece of 18 x 24" Lexan XL from Home Depot for $11.93. It was about 3 cm thick and cut easily with fine tooth saw blades and sanded nicely.

After consulting with Peter, I elected NOT to re-direct the flow from the front of the car or do the bottom shelf under the headlight. I still draw air from under the headlight. My understanding was that Peter re-directed the flow due to his active suspension partially blocking the intake. Also with Turbos you have pipes in the way. Peter seemed to feel that I would get good results w/o re-directing the flow as my SC400 had nothing in the way.

Well, the results turned out great. The intake moan seemed louder before I added the top & side cover. However, with it all boxed in the sound is smoother and the car appears to pull harder.

Here's a picture of the finished product. Thanks again to everyone who provided me feedback on this project. I loved doing this mod!

Let me know what you think of the results

BFI made with Lexan

Last edited by FaceUT; 11-17-03 at 07:43 PM.
Old 11-17-03, 11:37 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

If Peter helped you, there can be no wrong.
Old 11-17-03, 11:51 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

clean job,... good work.

how long did it take to do it? I've been considering it myself,.. just been lazy

Last edited by NAZTY97; 11-17-03 at 11:52 PM.
Old 11-18-03, 05:48 AM
FaceUT
Pole Position

NAZTY97,

The most time consuming part for me was finding the egg cups and deciding to use the Lexan. Once I got started I probably have about 2 hours in modifying the airbox and another 4 hours in playing with the Lexan. Having done it (and also having a good template) I believe I could do another in much less time.

In fact for my next project I plan to cut out 2 more tops and paint one and possibly get the other tinted just to see how they turn out.
Old 11-18-03, 11:08 AM
Buttercup
Pole Position

Wow. I can barely see the top cover. Heh, it looks like 3 subs on your box. Good job.

Since the egg cups are shiny, maybe you should spray paint the front box silver too?
Old 11-18-03, 11:27 AM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

more pictures please! How did you route the air? (AARHG again with the forum not working...)
Old 11-18-03, 07:34 PM
FaceUT
Pole Position

More pictures are available in My Gallery. (FACEUT) I uploaded a number of angles. Just click on the picture link in my opening post and flip through the pictures... (Hit Previous image)

As far as how I routed the air, I pretty well explained that in my opening post. Air comes in from under the passenger headlight (stock route). I just removed the snorkle. All that air comes up into the enclosed box and has to go somewhere

Last edited by FaceUT; 11-18-03 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-18-03, 09:31 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In other words, you removed the snorkel like a lot of us do, you just went one step further and did the egg cup thing.
Looks clean, good job
Old 11-19-03, 12:01 AM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VERY NICE!
Old 11-19-03, 05:32 AM
FaceUT
Pole Position

In other words, you removed the snorkel like a lot of us do, you just went one step further and did the egg cup thing.

And I went another couple of steps further and fabricated a top and side for the box out of lexan. Look closely - it's clear....

Perhaps this angle shows it better.

Top view

Last edited by FaceUT; 11-19-03 at 05:34 AM.
Old 11-19-03, 06:57 AM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by FaceUT

And I went another couple of steps further and fabricated a top and side for the box out of lexan. Look closely - it's clear....

Top view
Sorry- forgot to mention that
Old 11-20-03, 10:10 AM
97SC
Rookie

Is there a template online to save us newbie's some time in cutting the walls and top for the BFI?
Old 11-20-03, 05:47 PM
Buttercup
Pole Position

There was a link on planetsoarer.com that had a good template. Here's the original one though: http://planetsoarer.com/BFIHardware/BFIHardware.html

I'd recommend you put those dimensions on a piece of cardboard/posterboard and make minor adjustments if neccessary.
Old 11-20-03, 06:44 PM
FaceUT
Pole Position

I have actually been toying with the idea of building a plug and play kit and offering it for sale. Peter Scott actually suggested it and gave me his blessing.

I guess the kit could include:

3 egg cups (ballistic bellmouths - ready for grinding)
Top cover made from lexan (pre-cut and drilled)
Verticle side cover made from lexan (pre-cut and drilled)
A strip of tubing for the seal (split it yourself)
3-4 scriviets to attach the top cover along the front
Maybe even throw in a length of velcro you can cut to go underneath the front of the top cover.
Detailed install instructions..

It would not include the bottom plate for under the headlight or bolts for re-directing airflow from in front of the radiator.

The only problem is the kit would be time-consuming to build by hand. Anyone know what would be involved in getting the lexan cut by machine?

Just toying with the notion at this point. Or folks could just collect the stuff and custom build their own...
Old 11-21-03, 09:03 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally posted by FaceUT

Top view
Face, very nice work. The lexan looks classy. I would add though that the egg cups are NOT needed and in fact only add work, complexity, weight and cost to the mod. The goal is to prevent ANY pressure drop from occuring and the best way is the largest area possible. That is how Peter Scott did his and I did mine. Here is an old link to my air box mod for my LS400. Different box entirely so there is no direct carry over other than noting how large of an area I have feeding my filter. The ugly cardboard heat shielding I used in the prototype has been replaced by closed cell foam.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hlight=air+box

And I want to commend you on building good heat shielding. Anyone considering a mod like this must understand the importance of preventing hot underhood heat from getting to the air filter as that will negate the power increase.

Again, Good work.

Last edited by JBrady; 11-21-03 at 09:07 AM.

Quick Reply: BFI Complete - Pictures