Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

5 speed clutch adjustment question

Old 11-10-03, 10:34 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 5 speed clutch adjustment question

I was just wondering if any of you with 5 speeds have ever had to adjust the clutch pedal, or even if that's possible. Normally the clutch would grab the most around the middle of letting off on the pedal. My clutch over the last 1.5 years seems like now it gets mostly to the top (almost all the way let off) before the main grabby part happens. There is no play in the pedal when I put my foot under the bottom and pull towards me. And the clutch is not going bad, it just seems like the point where it grabs is farther away from the floow then it was when I first got it.
Any ?'s let me know- I didn't explain this the best.

Thanks guys
The following users liked this post:
Mikey25 (11-21-23)
Old 11-11-03, 06:08 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah... there is a nut on the piston rod to the clutch master cylinder. It's connected to the clutch pedal; you can't miss it. Just loosen that thing up and adjust the piston rod to get the engagement point you need.

-scott
Old 11-11-03, 07:20 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Cool, thanks Scott. Took a closer look today and found it. Do you really have to take any of the interior panels off down there to adjust it correctly?

Oh, and you gonna be at the 11/22 meet down there?
Old 11-12-03, 05:33 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Originally posted by tggoodrich
Cool, thanks Scott. Took a closer look today and found it. Do you really have to take any of the interior panels off down there to adjust it correctly?

Oh, and you gonna be at the 11/22 meet down there?
Interior panels should not have to be removed.

I looked up your post on the regional forums about the meet, but I haven't heard much else about it.

-scott
Old 11-12-03, 08:41 AM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will this affect clutch engagement if it grabs too high up?
Old 11-12-03, 08:24 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by mrshabo
will this affect clutch engagement if it grabs too high up?
No, unless it's so high that its engaged at the pedal full up position- then you have a problem.
I just don't like where it engages, I guess it's mostly a matter of personal preference.
Old 12-21-03, 09:28 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by motorheaddown
Yeah... there is a nut on the piston rod to the clutch master cylinder. It's connected to the clutch pedal; you can't miss it. Just loosen that thing up and adjust the piston rod to get the engagement point you need.

-scott
Scott,
I finally had time to do the adjustment today, but I had a problem. I tried to loosen the nut so I could turn the rod, but the nut wouldn't budge. And I tried both directions, just in case. I even had a pair of vise grips to hold the part where the rod connects to the pedal b/c I thought I was going to break the dang connection point.
Any ideas? Was it hard for you?

Tim
Old 12-23-03, 08:27 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Don't use vise grips; you'll need to use open end metric sockets that are sized correctly. And yes, the nut could be very tight.

-scott
Old 12-23-03, 02:18 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by motorheaddown
Don't use vise grips; you'll need to use open end metric sockets that are sized correctly. And yes, the nut could be very tight.

-scott
I only used vice grips to hold the assembly in place and keep it from twisting apart. I used a 12mm open end wrench for the nut, but like I said, I felt like the thing would break before it would come loose.
Old 12-23-03, 07:47 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You're lucky, my car ('88 Tercel) grabs at the very bottom which is REALLY annoying, because I have to press the clutch all the way down when shifting and when it engages after only lifitng it about an inch. kinda annoying

also, could you use a socket wrench on that bolt? Socket wrenches are the best, Im sure it could loosen that bolt in second
Old 12-23-03, 07:54 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by /Aerostar\
You're lucky, my car ('88 Tercel) grabs at the very bottom which is REALLY annoying, because I have to press the clutch all the way down when shifting and when it engages after only lifitng it about an inch. kinda annoying

also, could you use a socket wrench on that bolt? Socket wrenches are the best, Im sure it could loosen that bolt in second
Actually, it's not good having the engagement too close to the top either. It tends to make driving a bit "jumpy".
Old 07-05-04, 11:23 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Wow, this thread is pretty old! But I wanted to update you guys for anyone doing a search on this in the future. I went back under today (how long has it been?) and I tried again. This time I got it with a single open end 12mm wrench. And to clarify, you have to turn the nut ccw when looking at it from the front of the car. Kinda confusing since you actually have to get it from the back.

Hope this helps
Tim
Old 09-18-13, 01:52 AM
Haydo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pedal adjustment

i have a 2000 is200 and my clutch seems to be grabbing right at the bottom. is there anyway i can adjust it to have it near the top. thanks
Old 09-18-13, 10:57 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

that would be using the rod, remember you need a 1/4" to 1/2" of free play at the top of the clutch pedal, meaning you have to push it down some before anything starts to happen. If you don't do this, there is a chance the clutch will not engage and disangage fully. make sure you have that 1/2" of free play.

also if you cannot get the adjustment to change much no matter how much you change the rod length, that means your master is on its way out. if you occasionally find your clutch on the floor and it in general engages very low no matter how you adjust it, its generally the master. Disconnect the line to the slave and pump the pedal, (a little bit that was left in the line should come out) but then if it stops pushing fluid and the master reservoir is full, then you def need a new master. If it keeps shooting out fluid very fast, then the master is still ok and try the adjustment again on the pedal or check the slave.