Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

new muffler help

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-03, 12:39 PM
nysupraman
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Talking new muffler help

im lookin for new mufflers with pipings preferebly one with a 4.5in outlet. i have no clu on this so could you guys halp me out with some suggestions and best pricings! thanks!
Old 11-02-03, 12:05 PM
RobSoVIP
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would go with a custom set up... My exhaust is a custom cat back (well I did get rid of the third cat...) with straight pipes back to two magnaflow mufflers which have 4" outlets (i think, at least they are 4 may be slightly bigger.)

Anyways, if you do this, be sure to get a X-Pipe for a cross over, I still have not gotten a cross over installed on my set up, but it is coming soon. Planet Soarer recomends that the X-pipe go as close to the front of the car as possible...)

Once you have the piping, you can get a universal muffler, and have a shop fit it and adjust your piping so it fits up right. I want to get a set of 5 Zegin Fireballs (or whatever they are called) but Im gonna stick with my magnaflows till I get done with my current suspension upgrades.

If you want something straight from a factory for the SC, if you have a sc300, I would get the JIC set up. Call around, you can probably get a pretty decent price from an import shop.
Old 11-02-03, 12:31 PM
nysupraman
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

is it a bad idea just installing mufflers for now and adding piping and x pipe later on?
Old 11-02-03, 06:41 PM
lspower
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can do that but it will cost more now and later most mufflers are about 2.25 + inlet, so they will have to mod just to get the muffler on. well do what you like but it will be better if you did it all at once

what car is it going on?

well happy modding
Old 11-02-03, 07:59 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sc400tex what's wrong with the magnaflows? why would you switch em. i heard the magnaflows were suppose to be pretty good. i got the borlas. don't do much except sound nice.
Old 11-03-03, 06:39 AM
RobSoVIP
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

shabo,
the magnaflows are fine. However, I dont think that they sound how a high end japanese V8 should sound... My friends joke when I pull up saying that it sounds like a chevy with glasspacks! lol- its not that bad, but I just want a different sound. Thats my only problem with them. Dont get me wrong, they sound mean, but I just want to try a different set up and see how it sounds.

Rob
Old 11-04-03, 10:27 PM
killerlex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the magnaflows and domestic mufflers make the lexus sound like a real V8..but its a little too crazy for a lexus,,but it do sound MEAN *** hell. like a muscle car.