Pacific For events in California, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Hawaii, and Alaska.

Best All-Season Tires for PNW

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-14, 06:31 AM
pugua
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best All-Season Tires for PNW

Hi,

I just bought a RWD IS350 that came with Summer tires. However, I live up in the Seattle area and people in the PNW know that it rains here...ALOT...during the Winter/Spring/Fall seasons.

Can anyone suggest the best (in terms of best bang-for-the-buck) for all-season tires for the PNW weather? That means 3-5 months of dry weather, the rest of the year will mostly be wet (and maybe a little bit of snow if we're lucky).

Thanks for any tips & suggestions!
Old 12-12-14, 10:55 PM
mrAkana
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On a other thread, I mentioned a few and I'm currently using the Michelin A/S 3

Originally Posted by mrAkana
Sure thing! Please keep in mind I only had these on factory specs 225/40 and 255/40 factory wheels. Over the past few years I used to work for DTC and tested new tires pushing them beyond from a daily driver role.

Current set up
Mich A/S3 - This is by far the best set I've had on the IS in the rain and dry(will snow soon). The turn in is fluid, that's an understatement but 14k miles later I'm still aggressive on corners(country or freeway)as these tires leave a wide footprint which means I know I'll make it through a turn. The tire is extremely responsive in either direction, from a launch with VFC and TC off you will hook up every single time as I've tried to break traction over asphalt and brick at different angles. As of this week we've had a good amount of rain, on my commute to/from WA speed limit is 60mph but with these tires I'm confident to stay at 65-70mph in 2"-3" of standing water on multiple parts of the freeway, especially on uphill and downhill transition. The factory sipping hasn't failed me yet as I haven't experienced hydroplaning or an oh crap moment in these conditions and I know for sure these tires just pierce right through it.

As for treadwear, brand new I measured 10/32nds and as of tonight I'm at 8/32nds with 14k on the clock(hoping for 30k). As for road noise, I actually turn off my radio to hear almost nothing and just cruise on my 30 min commute when it's dry. I can honestly say with confidence, that michelin tire was made for performance with luxury at the center.

Yes, they cost a bit more but they're definitely worth it if you travel the distance like I do and carve corners. FYI, I did pick up a nail in the center about 2k miles in but that repair hasn't stopped me from my habits.

Goodyear Eagle F1
Sidewall! Whether it's this or the asymmetrical tire from Goodyear, they have a solid sidewall which I am a fan of. They have a more dense carcass but when you need stability, it's on all the time. The flip side to this would be the road noise, as I wore them down from 11/32 to 6/32 they get extremely loud and pick up all kinds of junk on the road. Overall they're a good AS set if you can grab them. I had put 30k on before I replaced them and these are my 2nd favorite because of dry and wet traction per WA conditions.

Continental DW
Since you live in Florida, this should be your ideal setup since the environment is dry. In the rain, you'll have traction up until the dry limit of the tire as the factory sipping does not do a great job of channeling out the water. As for the dry traction, it's phenomenal since the compound is really soft and you can hammer down on your corner exit like a bat out of hell. They also make a DWS but I do not suggest that not even to my worse enemy as I've broke traction in rain all the time. You'll get good amount of life from this tire, I'd say 20k before you want a something new. The noise level is very apparent but tolerable on long drives.

I hope this helps and feel free to PM me if you need further opinions. OP, apologies for taking over but I hope this has helped you a bit. Hankook V12 and Yokohama YK580 are great tires, they would be my customers second choice since they fit the budget but it's difficult to get the rear in stock at times. Expect 25k miles on the V12, 40k on the Yoks and they both offer decent handling for the first 10k miles then get louder from there.

Cheers
Old 12-13-14, 12:45 PM
pugua
Rookie

On a other thread, I mentioned a few and I'm currently using the Michelin A/S 3
Thanks, @mrAkana! I use to drive the Conti DW on my old Z before I traded it in for my IS. I was really happy with the performance (even in the rain), but I probably don't push it as hard as you do.

Next time my tires are ready for replacement, I'll definitely consider the Mich Sport AS/3 since it's not that much more than the Conti DW.

Thanks again!
Old 12-16-14, 01:50 PM
Djfoho
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the michellin pilot sport a/s on my Lexus when I DD it. Nothing but good things to say about in the rain. Chippy in dry weather but grippy through a couple inches of water. Also I use Goodyear eagle rs-a in my current set up and they do great! Goodyear assurance is another great tire to look in.
Old 12-17-14, 02:51 AM
mrAkana
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pugua
Thanks, @mrAkana! I use to drive the Conti DW on my old Z before I traded it in for my IS. I was really happy with the performance (even in the rain), but I probably don't push it as hard as you do.

Next time my tires are ready for replacement, I'll definitely consider the Mich Sport AS/3 since it's not that much more than the Conti DW.

Thanks again!
The good ol' days of the Z33 reign. I miss my Fairlady for sure, I had the base model in PPW equipped with the VQ35HR and a few Nismo parts. Which did you have prior to the 2IS?
Old 12-27-14, 07:07 PM
pugua
Rookie

Originally Posted by Djfoho
I used the michellin pilot sport a/s on my Lexus when I DD it. Nothing but good things to say about in the rain. Chippy in dry weather but grippy through a couple inches of water. Also I use Goodyear eagle rs-a in my current set up and they do great! Goodyear assurance is another great tire to look in.
Thanks for the feedback, Djfoho. Looks like the Pilot Sport A/S is the winner up here in the wet NW. Now all I have to do is wait a little longer until my Summer tire treads run low.
Old 12-27-14, 07:12 PM
pugua
Rookie

The good ol' days of the Z33 reign. I miss my Fairlady for sure, I had the base model in PPW equipped with the VQ35HR and a few Nismo parts. Which did you have prior to the 2IS?
I do miss my old Z (VQ35DE) from time to time...especially the stick (paddle shifters just aren't the same)! I have the 3IS now, but before my Z....well, I was too poor to afford anything "nice" and drove an old '89 Mitsubishi pick-up truck. =D