Pacific For events in California, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Hawaii, and Alaska.

Scenic routes in Washington?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-14, 09:01 AM
mrtriad
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scenic routes in Washington?

So I live in Puyallup and I just want to go on a scenic drive. Any recommendations?
Old 07-01-14, 01:53 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Depends on how long of one you want. My favorite one is to drive through Deception Pass, onto Whidbey Island. You drive north up I5, to Mount Vernon, then go west towards Anacortes, then south over Fidalgo Island, across the Deception Pass Bridge, and onto Whidbey Island. I bring a picnic lunch to eat at Deception Pass Park, then I stop at the Coupeville waterfront for ice cream, then continue south down the island, catch the ferry from Clinton to Mukilteo, and head home.

Closer to you, I find it fun to drive up to Paradise on Mount Rainier.

If you want twisty roads, Steven's Pass is always fun. Head over in the morning, have lunch at Leavenworth, then stay the night or just head back home via Blewett and Snoqualmie passes.

Last edited by JDR76; 07-28-14 at 07:08 AM.
Old 07-02-14, 03:57 PM
blacksun
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm part of a Meetup group that arranges scenic drives in the WA area every few weeks. Its open to drivers of any kind of car (ex. XK-R, Focus ST, Boxter, S2K, GTO, etc.) and the organizers usually check out routes ahead of time to ensure roads aren't closed/under construction.

I'm the only Lexus in the group so it would be great to have a few other owners join us. Check it out here:
http://www.meetup.com/drivethenorthwest/
Old 07-05-14, 04:43 PM
mrtriad
Rookie

Originally Posted by blacksun
I'm part of a Meetup group that arranges scenic drives in the WA area every few weeks. Its open to drivers of any kind of car (ex. XK-R, Focus ST, Boxter, S2K, GTO, etc.) and the organizers usually check out routes ahead of time to ensure roads aren't closed/under construction.

I'm the only Lexus in the group so it would be great to have a few other owners join us. Check it out here:
I'll look into that! Thanks!
Old 07-06-14, 08:07 PM
IS3_FTW
Pole Position

Originally Posted by blacksun

I just joined. my username is DCiFound. I posted in the discussion group about AutoX
Old 07-07-14, 02:53 PM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

Highway 14 east of Vancouver, job done. Awesome route.
Old 07-09-14, 04:38 PM
blacksun
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS3_FTW
I just joined. my username is DCiFound. I posted in the discussion group about AutoX
Nice!
Old 07-09-14, 09:37 PM
FI4runner
Intermediate

Received 85 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanGTS
Highway 14 east of Vancouver, job done. Awesome route.
I live off Hwy 14 and travel it all year long - it is a nice drive - all the way out to Patterson.

The other route mentioned with deception pass - we did for the first time this year (in the is350 - and left the kids at home).
We did it backwards than the post above since we live down south - awesome route!! Stopped for wine tasting on the island, had an excellent time. Hiked down deception, super cool area.
Old 07-11-14, 01:01 AM
mrAkana
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Depends on how long of one you want. My favorite one is to drive through Deception Pass, onto Whidbey Island.
That's a heck of journey from Puyallup my friend but a decent one.
Old 07-21-14, 04:22 PM
blacksun
Pole Position

I did this run the previous weekend (7/12/2014) with a few guys. It was a blast, and the views along the way are amazing:

https://goo.gl/maps/HkjDb

Notes:
1) A lot of hikers head here on the weekends so get up early if you want to avoid traffic. It's not stop and go, but going faster is just more fun.
2) It's in a national park so you'll need to buy a $15 pass to get to the last section.

Last edited by blacksun; 07-21-14 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-27-14, 11:31 PM
markeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JDR76
Depends on how long of one you want. My favorite one is to drive through Deception Pass, onto Whidbey Island. You drive north up I5, to Mount Vernon, then go west towards Anacortes, then south over Fidalgo Island, across the Deception Pass Bridge, and onto Whidbey Island. I bring a picnic lunch to eat at Deception Pass Park, then I stop at the Coupeville waterfront for lunch ice cream, then continue south down the island, catch the ferry from Clinton to Mukilteo, and head home.

Closer to you, I find it fun to drive up to Paradise on Mount Rainier.

If you want twisty roads, Steven's Pass is always fun. Head over in the morning, have lunch at Leavenworth, then stay the night or just head back home via Blewett and Snoqualmie passes.
this.

you can also check out chuckanut drive if you're heading up by bellingham.
Old 07-28-14, 05:20 PM
IS3_FTW
Pole Position

chuckanut drive is cool
Old 08-01-14, 07:09 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I thought of another one. It's definitely long and therefore a full day trip, but absolutely beautiful.

Driving around the Hood Canal. From Tacoma you can take hwy 16 north to hwy 3 in Port Orchard, up to the Hood Canal Floating Bridge (hwy 104). Take Center Rd down to Quilcene, then hop on the 101 south along the canal. You can stay on the 101 until it meets back up with I-5 in Olympia.

Without stops it takes about 3 hours (160 miles or so), but there are numerous great spots along the canal to stop for a picnic lunch.