Pacific For events in California, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Hawaii, and Alaska.

Looking for a good shop to shave rear fenders (Seattle or Tacoma)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-12, 10:47 PM
bee0818
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a good shop to shave rear fenders (Seattle or Tacoma)

Looking for a good shop to shave/cut and seal my rear fenders that has experience doing it. Anyone have a place they've used and been happy with in the Seattle or Tacoma area?

Thanks
Old 05-25-12, 08:30 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if you dont find any answers there is a guy in federal that rents his fender roller and you can just do it yourself just make sure you are slow and have a heat gun....
Old 05-27-12, 12:28 PM
Shorty9802
Driver School Candidate

I am also in need of some fender work. Will let you know if I find anything, but would like some info from someone who already knows of a good shop.
Old 06-06-12, 10:24 PM
Zookie2Gs4
Driver School Candidate

I'm in the same boat. Lextrician, do you know how much he charges and how I can get a hold of him?
Old 06-07-12, 07:28 PM
Kalaries
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default shaved fenders?

So what does "shaved" fenders mean? im a Bodyshop estimator/manager in Lynnwood, maybe im just not familiar with the term. We usually do collision repair and body work, but i think we might be able to help you. If get a good understanding of what the process of "shaving fenders" is, i can get back to you and answer your questions regarding sealing the cut, ect.
Old 06-08-12, 02:41 AM
Zookie2Gs4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kalaries
So what does "shaved" fenders mean? im a Bodyshop estimator/manager in Lynnwood, maybe im just not familiar with the term. We usually do collision repair and body work, but i think we might be able to help you. If get a good understanding of what the process of "shaving fenders" is, i can get back to you and answer your questions regarding sealing the cut, ect.
There's a lip along the inside edge of the fender well that sticks out +/- an inch. When you lower the car down to the top of the tire or lower, that lip will hit the tire with aggressively offset wheels and limits how close or "flush" you can get the fitment. So you have to either shave it (cut the lip back out of the way to make it smaller), or roll it (press/fold the lip upwards and away). Drawbacks? Shaving it can leave a sharp edge that can cut the tires, and can also weaken the strength of the fenders sheetmetal causing it to warp easier if stressed. Rolling that lip can cause the paint to chip if its not heated to make it more pliable during the process, and can also cause the fender sheetmetal to dimple/warp as well. A tricky job if you're trying to avoid more paint/body work when your done!

This is my understanding anyways, someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. lol
(sorry for the long post btw)