Pacific For events in California, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Hawaii, and Alaska.

Inner fender well linings.... To keep or not to keep

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-12, 12:04 AM
Jussjoshin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inner fender well linings.... To keep or not to keep

So I have a dilemma. I just lowered my car some more and now I'm rubbin the inner fender well liner. As a ase certed tech I know it should keep it an I know why it's there blah blah blah. Question for you slammed guys is this. Do you have yours in still? And if not have you run into any major problems? If I remove them I'll be covering all wiring and connectors to take over the job of the liners but there is still so much that becomes exposed to the elements of Washington weather. Let me know how you guys are runnin (with/without) and if you've had any issues.
Old 02-13-12, 03:17 PM
mkiiisupra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took mine out for the most part. If you go low enough, the tire will rub the wireharness we have under each fender and eat through some wires. That's when those people reroute it in a few ways. Theres a couple of threads on that if you search the 1st gen gs section. Im not quite that low yet though, so what I did was just took the mounting clips off of the harness and zip-tied them through a couple holes so it pulled it up about and inch or two. And considering the rain, I just put plastic ZipLoc bags over a couple of the connection points and taped it up tight. I also cut up the fender lining and placed small pieces over the bags. But now the backside of the foglight is open to the wheel well water spinoff, so again, just tightly taped plastic bags over the back of it like a cap and haven't had any issues.

When I get a couple parts in to fix my seized coilover, I'll be going lower and rerouting the wireharness through the fender 100% out of the way. Theres only a couple wires that need to be extended but for the most part, theres enough slack to reroute it.

Are your upper ball joints hitting against the upper part of the wheel well?

Last edited by mkiiisupra; 02-13-12 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-13-12, 07:52 PM
Jussjoshin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mkiiisupra
I took mine out for the most part. If you go low enough, the tire will rub the wireharness we have under each fender and eat through some wires. That's when those people reroute it in a few ways. Theres a couple of threads on that if you search the 1st gen gs section. Im not quite that low yet though, so what I did was just took the mounting clips off of the harness and zip-tied them through a couple holes so it pulled it up about and inch or two. And considering the rain, I just put plastic ZipLoc bags over a couple of the connection points and taped it up tight. I also cut up the fender lining and placed small pieces over the bags. But now the backside of the foglight is open to the wheel well water spinoff, so again, just tightly taped plastic bags over the back of it like a cap and haven't had any issues.

When I get a couple parts in to fix my seized coilover, I'll be going lower and rerouting the wireharness through the fender 100% out of the way. Theres only a couple wires that need to be extended but for the most part, theres enough slack to reroute it.

Are your upper ball joints hitting against the upper part of the wheel well?
Sounds good I'll have to search it and I'm sure I'll be doing that very soon. As for the upper balljoints hitting, I'm pretty sure they do when I hit a hard bump. It sounds pretty nasty. I'm gonna let it hit for a couple more days do it will make a nice mark then ill reshape whatever part it's hitting. Hopefully that will fix the problem. I'd hate to have to raise my car back up as I'm in love with the stance right now haha
Old 02-14-12, 09:16 PM
mkiiisupra
Lexus Test Driver

depends how low you go but pouding the metal still may not get you enough room without mangling the fenders structure. I've got small holes drilled through so the ball joint that move freely, but since I got adjustable UCA's and moved it outward, now I have to drill a bigger hole. And since it's goin to be a decent sized hole, my friends gonna weld in some sleeves
Old 02-14-12, 09:20 PM
mkiiisupra
Lexus Test Driver

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...he-lowest.html

scroll towards the bottom and you'll see what Im talking about
Old 02-20-12, 01:06 PM
lovelylex
Rookie

I still have my fender well linings intact...well sort of intact. I had to take out a couple clips near the edge, but that's about it. I rub in reverse and with tight turns/bumps but other than that I don't have a problem and it doesn't bug me near enough to take the linings out. But I mean if it's really bothering you (I don't know how low you are) I don't see why you can't remove the linings and just relocate/cover some things like mkiiisupra said. I think it's just a matter of annoyance tolerance.
Old 02-20-12, 06:48 PM
Jussjoshin
Pole Position

As of last week I'm tuckin rim in the rear an almost to the rim in the front. Probably gonna leave them
Old 02-21-12, 03:25 AM
jnguyenGS
Driver

i cut mine. (:
Old 02-22-12, 08:28 AM
Jussjoshin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jnguyenGS
i cut mine. (:
Did you cut the entire thing or did you just trim a certain spot. If I cut mine I want to try and keep as much as possible
Old 02-24-12, 12:45 AM
Jussjoshin
Pole Position

Haha you like that huh