Pacific For events in California, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Hawaii, and Alaska.

Washington- window tint and the law

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-12, 07:18 PM
Kingkrs
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Washington- window tint and the law

Just wondering what your experience has been with dark window tint and getting stopped. I just got my windows tinted at 20% all the way around. My last car had lighter tint in the front, but I did not put it on. I bought it that way.

I guess I am a little concerned about getting stopped and having to pay a fine and or remove the tint all together. So what has been your experience?
Old 01-08-12, 08:27 PM
2BENVD
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

After rocking my 20% around for 2 years, got pulled an fined once. Will I remove it? Hell no. The chances of a cop noticing and actually pulling you over for dark tint is actually very low, however once in a blue moon you'll pass by a **** cop who has nothing better to do and...
Old 01-10-12, 11:17 PM
cdtran2
Rookie

30% ceramic+30% carbon on all sides and 50% on the windshield...when I get stopped, I just make sure the sunroof cover is open and rear sunshade is down...been like that for 2 years...my old accord had 20% on it and no one ever said anything...
Old 01-10-12, 11:37 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

I live in Tacoma, have 15% all around, never had a problem.
Old 01-11-12, 08:09 AM
Kingkrs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
I live in Tacoma, have 15% all around, never had a problem.
but what state are your plates? I find that if you have illegal tint but your license plates are out of state then the law leaves you alone. I just registered this car in WA. That is my concern. On post the MP's are worthless and don't care.
Old 01-11-12, 08:26 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by Kingkrs
but what state are your plates? I find that if you have illegal tint but your license plates are out of state then the law leaves you alone. I just registered this car in WA. That is my concern. On post the MP's are worthless and don't care.
I have NY plates...

Why would you register a car in WA...they wanted $2,500ish to register my truck due to taxes and fees? I guess because the sales tax is higher than it was in NY. I called NY and they said as long as I am military I can leave NY tags on, so I did. They will expire in november and I will have to get new plates. In the state of TX (home of record) thats $94 for the Ram, but its free due to being a Purple Heart recipient.

Back to the topic, I don't really know if it matters but I don't really draw attention to myself either. Truck rides good so occasionally I catch myself speeding on the interstate, but its rare...maybe thats part of it too? I would imagine if I were to get pulled for speeding, I would get written up about the tint too.
Old 01-11-12, 08:36 AM
Kingkrs
Pole Position

most cops don't know what the tint law is for other states or don't care. And why should they? they can't enforce it anyway. However if the car is registered in state they can enforce it. I just purchased the car here in WA that is why I registered it here.
Old 01-29-12, 01:38 PM
Jussjoshin
Pole Position

Ive had 20 percent for a long time and was stopped only once for it. Anytime you're knowingly breaking the law you have to expect that you're gonna get called out on it. If its that big of an issue then redo your tint. If you don't want to do that then you just gotta accept the fact that you might get stopped. My glass is currently tintless but will again be 20% real soon. I can take getting stopped a time or two for it. Question is, can you?
Old 02-20-12, 01:14 PM
lovelylex
Rookie

I have 18% all around around cept for the windshield and it's never been a problem. I don't think it's that big of a deal around here.
Old 02-20-12, 03:47 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it all depends if you out late at night they might sweat you but normally look for something else to pull you over for. If you are limo all around it is hit or miss. I got pulled over once for tints the other times they dont even notice or bother. Just depends where you live and what kind of car you drive.... not major issues you might get a speech or a fix it ticket, just never consistent.
Old 02-20-12, 08:39 PM
Kingkrs
Pole Position

I have a friend that told me he got pulled over twice for speeding and he has 5% tint all around. The cops here said nothing of it both times. He even forgot to roll down the window and the cop had to knock on it for him to roll it down. HA! then I have heard the opposite for others getting pulled over just for the tint. I am not worried about it any longer. It is what it is.

Thanks for all the replies
Old 02-26-12, 11:09 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

I think that if theybwant to give you a ticket, they will find something wrong, down to not having a litter/trash bag in your car!
Old 02-26-12, 11:25 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by msgs350
I think that if theybwant to give you a ticket, they will find something wrong, down to not having a litter/trash bag in your car!
Just where does it state that its a law to carry a trash bag in your car in WA?
Old 02-27-12, 12:31 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

For WA, the VLT is 24%.

For myself, I used 40% all around since I wanted to be conservative and did not want to make it that dark, and also since I have a dark interior, it makes it look darker; looks quite nice overall for the tint I have. Also have 80% on the windshield which people wouldn't notice. It would be dependent on the vehicle and the interior. For instance, my co-worker, he has 50% all around for his M3 and looks just right with his dark interior, while on his truck, he's using below the legal limit but since sits truck is high enough which a lot of light goes through, it appears legal.

The main reason I did 40% all around is because BC, Canada, tinting the front windows is illegal except all the other windows and can be tinted with any tint percentage you want (http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bcl...eside/26_58_04, section 7.05); therefore you can be as dark as you want. Since I wanted all around, I decided to choose something that did not make it high profile to the cops for having the front windows tinted. As long as police can still through the window, they do not really bother.

BC police have the authority to use a blade and slash an illegal tint on the spot if they wanted, which the cops have done to drivers. This forces them to remove it and would be forced to show proof that it was removed or face a few hundred dollar fine on top of the warning or ticket they may have already recieved. If WSP use the slash methods for non legal tint, there would be a lot of upset owners for going too dark.

Excerpt from the Spotted in Vancouver thread on the Canada region.

Originally Posted by Sango
Originally Posted by k4fu
new gs looks great!

spotted sango again on friday @ 4pm ish on no.3 road and turning right on landsdowne. usb is such an eye catching color. i freaking love it.

btw, front window tints are illegal in bc. be careful of them pigs lol.
Yep I'm aware they are illegal but I've seen a lot of other cars running with front window tint or even darker so it makes it higher profile to the cops. With the tint I have, it is not that dark at all that it can still be seen through. Even with cops passing by me and stuff, they didn't bother with me.

I also know a friend's cousin who works for the RCMP on patrol as well.

Last edited by Sango; 02-27-12 at 01:08 AM.
Old 02-27-12, 06:22 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Just where does it state that its a law to carry a trash bag in your car in WA?
It was up until 10yrs ago (shows how old i am )....sorry, i should have been more clear. I was just trying to say that you you could almost get ticketed for more "silly" things that you arent even aware of. Only reason i knew about the litter bag thing was cuz a friend of mine got a ticket/warning (can't remember) for it.

Quick Reply: Washington- window tint and the law