Pacific For events in California, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Hawaii, and Alaska.

Who found some great roads this summer?

Old 12-02-11, 10:59 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Who found some great roads this summer?

I didn't get out to too many new roads this summer, but I did drive two new ones worthy of mention.

1. Wind River Road. Starts at Cougar WA, and runs down to Carson on the Columbia River.
Big sweeping turns climbs through high forest then drops to the River valley. Vista turnoffs with a great view of St Helens and riverside fishing, Asphalt was about 7 out of 10 in quality. Lots of blind right sweepers to keep your lead foot in check, not to mention the herd of Elk alongside the road grazing.

2. Highway 242. East of Eugene OR. crosses the Cascades and drops into Bend. Open summer only.
Amazing road with brand new asphalt (paved in 2010). Hairpin turns and switchbacks through old growth forest keep you on your toes. Barely leave 2nd gear for the climb up the western side. When you hit the pass, your arms are feeling it (hairpins are tight enough that you are rotating the steering wheel several times just going around the corners) and you still have an ear to ear smile. No pullouts, so it is difficult passing a slower car. At the summit you pop up on a massive lava flow for as far as the eye can see.

I highly recommend you experience them both if you get the chance.
Overall a great summer... I visited 7 National Parks (3 in the Lex, 4 in a rental)

Anyone else discover some great roads lately?
Old 12-03-11, 09:44 AM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Highway 14 east of Camas is a great stretch of road if you can get away from the crowds.....

I'll have to check on that road from Eugene West, bike or car is the big decision....
Old 12-04-11, 08:46 AM
CleverName
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SeanGTS
Highway 14 east of Camas is a great stretch of road if you can get away from the crowds.....

I'll have to check on that road from Eugene West, bike or car is the big decision....
A bike would be a winning choice....

14 is interesting with things like the full size recreation of Stonehenge to stop and see.
A side road not far from there was "reportedly" paved for one of the Mazda "zoom zoom" commercials. Called Maryhill Loops Road. Bit hard to find in Google Earth, so plug in ( 45°43'20.54" N 120°48'20.68" W ) without the parenthesis. I've only been there with a car club that rented it for the day so I don't know if it is open all the time or not but it is fun to drive it fast. -ive not gone any further east than that in 14 Does it get better?