Pacific For events in California, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Hawaii, and Alaska.

Anyone ever special order from a dealer?

Old 10-31-11, 05:44 PM
Kermee
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone ever special order from a dealer?

I have a gut-wrenching feeling I'm going to have to special order my next vehicle.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience dealing with any of the local dealerships when you mention the words 'Special Order' from the factory?

I've bought my last two from Lexus of Seattle (Kuni) but exploring my options. -- Willing to even order from a dealership from CA and not just WA/OR and just have it delivered.

Any suggestions & comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 10-31-11, 06:35 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Probaby better if this was asked in the 2IS forums. Few members special ordered since they did not carry the car they want. One of them was Wunko since he wanted 2011 F-Sport but did not have his color if I recall so they managed to get one in.

Getting from a dealership outside of the region, would imply delivery costs on top. The further away, there is slightly a higher risk that it could be damaged from shipping (ie. rock ships), if it's shipped by trailer unless your paying more a fully enclosed trailer where nothing outside can hit it.
Old 10-31-11, 06:51 PM
lukeisf
Driver

When I went to buy my isf they could not get one so I had to order from Japan and it took a long time to get . But in the end I got the car I wanted and did not settle
Old 10-31-11, 06:54 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Kermee - Good to see you posting!

I cannot speak to the west coast but I can tell you in the Northeast the Lexus dealers are not really open to special ordering cars. They will do it, but expect to pay a lot more for getting exactly what you want. Also expect to wait +/- 4 months for it based on what I've been reading here on CL.

However; I do feel that your willingness to go outside your immediate area, especially if you include the highly competitive CA, should yield you getting the exact car you want and at a reasonable price.

I've had good luck with my last few car purchases by getting quotes for the car I want from out of state then bringing it to the local dealer for a "last chance' before I buy. I would think you might have similar success with a special order.

Good luck in your search!

Trip

BTW What car are you considering?
Old 10-31-11, 07:24 PM
Kermee
Lead Lap

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Sango
Probaby better if this was asked in the 2IS forums. Few members special ordered since they did not carry the car they want. One of them was Wunko since he wanted 2011 F-Sport but did not have his color if I recall so they managed to get one in.

Getting from a dealership outside of the region, would imply delivery costs on top. The further away, there is slightly a higher risk that it could be damaged from shipping (ie. rock ships), if it's shipped by trailer unless your paying more a fully enclosed trailer where nothing outside can hit it.
Aye. Good to know. I use to hang out in the 2IS forums but it's been so many years. I made the mistake of not special ordering my second 2IS. I would understand the delivery costs. If I ordered it from a CA dealer, I'd probably just fly down and drive it back up to Seattle. Funny thing is last time I drove from SFO to SEA, I did get a rock chip on my windshield... And a speeding ticket in a place called Weed, CA...

Thanks for the advice!

Originally Posted by lukeisf
When I went to buy my isf they could not get one so I had to order from Japan and it took a long time to get . But in the end I got the car I wanted and did not settle
Nice! May I ask which dealership you were able to get a special order (DSO) through?

Originally Posted by TripleL
Kermee - Good to see you posting!

I cannot speak to the west coast but I can tell you in the Northeast the Lexus dealers are not really open to special ordering cars. They will do it, but expect to pay a lot more for getting exactly what you want. Also expect to wait +/- 4 months for it based on what I've been reading here on CL.

However; I do feel that your willingness to go outside your immediate area, especially if you include the highly competitive CA, should yield you getting the exact car you want and at a reasonable price.

I've had good luck with my last few car purchases by getting quotes for the car I want from out of state then bringing it to the local dealer for a "last chance' before I buy. I would think you might have similar success with a special order.

Good luck in your search!

Trip

BTW What car are you considering?
Hi Trip,

Thanks for the excellent info. I'll probably end up doing what you've stated. That makes the most sense.

The lease on my 2008 Lexus IS250 AWD ends in less than six months. I've decided to keep it and purchase it outright at the end of the lease and 'hand-it-down' to my girlfriend. I haven't decided whether to keep or sell my 2007 Nissan Versa SL 5-door yet... It's completely paid off and has been my 'daily driver' for the better part 5 years now -- It'll probably turn into my 'beater' car for running errands, etc.

The vehicle I'm tentatively looking at on the top of the list is the 2013 GS350 AWD F-Sport. I won't make a final decision until I'm able to test-drive it hopefully in February and I realize I'm a bit premature, but I have a sneaking suspicion that if it was anything like the 2IS'es that arrived in West Coast ports initially, finding one with PCS/Dynamic Cruise Control will be hard if not impossible. I'm willing to wait 3-4 months if I'm able to get the vehicle I want with the options I want. I gave up the dynamic cruise control on both 2IS'es I've owned... This time I'm planning on getting a vehicle exactly like I want. (Is the dynamic cruise control even an option on the current year model's 2IS'es anymore?)

Thanks everyone!

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 10-31-11, 08:27 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Kermee,

If you are not in a hurry, I would special order so they can get the one you want produced from the factory in Japan and ship it over. Make sure they don't try rip you off by not getting you a good deal by them giving better deals on a car which is on the lot vs not. At best, try to get it close to their cost price (use truecar.com as reference).

Dynamic cruise control in no longer available.
Old 10-31-11, 08:46 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Forgot to add.

You should also consider getting an alignment too done as a precaution. Chances are, when it's in transport the alignment could get out of whack slightly from the cargo ship as it goes from Japan to North America as the cargo may get banged along the way (the container, not the car) which could shift some things in the car.
Old 11-01-11, 06:36 AM
lukeisf
Driver

Lexus of tacoma
Old 11-01-11, 06:54 AM
Kermee
Lead Lap

Kermee,

If you are not in a hurry, I would special order so they can get the one you want produced from the factory in Japan and ship it over. Make sure they don't try rip you off by not getting you a good deal by them giving better deals on a car which is on the lot vs not. At best, try to get it close to their cost price (use truecar.com as reference).

Dynamic cruise control in no longer available.
Thanks. Yeah... In not too big of a hurry. -- I'm sad they removed the dynamic cruise control from the 2IS...

Forgot to add.

You should also consider getting an alignment too done as a precaution. Chances are, when it's in transport the alignment could get out of whack slightly from the cargo ship as it goes from Japan to North America as the cargo may get banged along the way (the container, not the car) which could shift some things in the car.
Ooh! Great tip! Thank you! Never thought about that...

Originally Posted by lukeisf
Lexus of tacoma
Aye. Lexus of Tacoma is on my list this time. (I actually went to high school in Tacoma). Funny thing is Lexus of Tacoma & Lexus of Bellevue are both owned by the O'Brien Group yet Lexus of Tacoma seems to get better reviews...

--

I'm not too worried about ordering out-of-state too and having it either delivered or me flying out and picking the vehicle up and driving it back to Seattle. I'd end up saving ~3% on sales tax buying it out of state (Paying the full 9.x% tax vs. 6.5% if I purchase and bring it in) so the costs would be a wash.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 11-01-11, 09:40 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kermee
Aye. Lexus of Tacoma is on my list this time. (I actually went to high school in Tacoma). Funny thing is Lexus of Tacoma & Lexus of Bellevue are both owned by the O'Brien Group yet Lexus of Tacoma seems to get better reviews...

--

I'm not too worried about ordering out-of-state too and having it either delivered or me flying out and picking the vehicle up and driving it back to Seattle. I'd end up saving ~3% on sales tax buying it out of state (Paying the full 9.x% tax vs. 6.5% if I purchase and bring it in) so the costs would be a wash.

Cheers,
Kermee
Yep, Tacoma and Bellevue are owned by the same owner group. Portland and Seattle too are also owned by the same owner group as well.

Ordering from out of state would not work in terms of saving tax because of your residence therefore your own state tax would apply. I know because I gotten a car from Portland and they automatically use the WA tax and the licensing was reported to WA DOL as well.
Old 11-01-11, 12:36 PM
Kermee
Lead Lap

Ordering from out of state would not work in terms of saving tax because of your residence therefore your own state tax would apply. I know because I gotten a car from Portland and they automatically use the WA tax and the licensing was reported to WA DOL as well.
You're correct. But you only need to pay the 'use tax' rate of 6.5% plus the 0.3% additional on auto sales which is paid to the DOL. You avoid the county & city portion of the sales tax since it was purchased out of the city & county jurisdiction which a local dealer would have to collect, on top of the 0.3% additional. (The other 2-3% on top of the State 'retail/use tax' rate).

For example Lexus of Seattle, located in Lynnwood, has an effective sales tax rate of 9.5% (6.5% state, 3.0% local). Saving 3.0% on $60K is $1800 saved in taxes...

Cheers,
Kermee

Last edited by Kermee; 11-01-11 at 12:48 PM.
Old 11-01-11, 01:22 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Oh I see. It was confusing on the paper work said it said WA tax and it had like 9.5% on it or something.