NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Difficulty of mounting front license plate?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-15, 04:24 AM
pinkoos
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difficulty of mounting front license plate?

I usually just get the dealer to mail me the plates when they come in and then just attach them myself.

However, I noticed that my NX200T doesn't have any visible mounting hardware on the front grille. I did find the mounting bracket and screws in a plastic bag with the spare tire, but I can't seem to find any predrilled screw holes in the front grille.

Is mounting the front plate a dealer only thing or is there an easy DIY solution?

Thanks.
Old 06-23-15, 06:38 AM
Trungvt
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually took my front plates off when I first got my NX, cause it looks so much better without them. My license plate fram actually has two hooks on the top that hooks onto the grill, and the bottom two have to be screwed into the solid horizontal bar inside the drill. Hope that helps.

I would post a pic, but we're vacationing in OC, CA right now visiting family and Mickey later in the week.
Old 06-23-15, 07:12 AM
pinkoos
Rookie

Thanks for the reply. I believe Texas state law requires the front plates, so I pretty much have to have them either put on by the dealer or by me.
Old 06-24-15, 08:00 AM
Trungvt
Driver School Candidate

It's also required in NJ, but I'll have to install it again when they send me the plates.
Old 06-30-15, 07:17 AM
rayzer57
Rookie

Originally Posted by pinkoos
I usually just get the dealer to mail me the plates when they come in and then just attach them myself.

However, I noticed that my NX200T doesn't have any visible mounting hardware on the front grille. I did find the mounting bracket and screws in a plastic bag with the spare tire, but I can't seem to find any predrilled screw holes in the front grille.

Is mounting the front plate a dealer only thing or is there an easy DIY solution?

Thanks.
On the grill there are two very tiny dimples in the area where you would drill for the mounting screws, about the head of a pin in size. Not too easy to find. What I did instead of drilling holes was to mount my license plate with two long tie wraps. Works like a champ and if I ever sell the car to someone in another state (e.g. Kansas) they will not have holes in the grill.
Enjoy,
Ray

Last edited by rayzer57; 07-02-15 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-30-15, 07:20 AM
pinkoos
Rookie

Originally Posted by rayzer57
I my grill there are two very tiny dimples in the area where you would drill for the mounting screws, about the head of a pin in size. Not too easy to find. What I did instead of drilling holes was to mount my license plate with two long tie wraps. Works like a champ and if I ever sell the car to someone in another state (e.g. Kansas) they will not have holes in the grill.
Enjoy,
Ray
I hadn't thought of using the cable ties. That's a great idea. I'll take a closer look at the grill again and see if I can find those holes. I've looked several times already and couldn't find anything!
Old 06-30-15, 01:03 PM
rns
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pinkoos
I hadn't thought of using the cable ties. That's a great idea. I'll take a closer look at the grill again and see if I can find those holes. I've looked several times already and couldn't find anything!
Cable-ties give the final premium touch to NX
No, seriously they are handy in the right place.
One of the cars which looks the license plate ruins. You have generally shorter plates than in Europe so could you install it unsymmetrically? Or is it allowed? Would keep the mean grill look.