NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-15, 06:50 AM
Bdwg22
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Subwoofer

Has anyone tried adding an aftermarket subwoofer? Was looking at Kicker Hideaway or Pioneer TS-WH500A underseat options. There's not enough punch from the rear factory sub and don't want to add a box.
Old 06-13-15, 08:10 AM
Supra4100
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I'm with you on that. Surprisingly very weak sub. My Nissan Leaf has a better bass response & it doesn't have a sub.

May be a good diy write up opportunity. ��
Old 06-14-15, 01:56 AM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would like to replace the factory subwoofer. Anyone know the size of the sub?

At the very least I want to add some sound damping material to quiet down the rattling.

I've quieted down the license plate rattle but there's still some buzzing. Plus the added sound damping should make the bass a bit tighter.

Last edited by tresmith00; 06-14-15 at 02:00 AM.
Old 06-15-15, 05:19 AM
illtww
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe an Infinity BassLink? Sub/Amp/Casing all integrated into one.
Old 06-18-15, 01:49 AM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tresmith00
I would like to replace the factory subwoofer. Anyone know the size of the sub?

At the very least I want to add some sound damping material to quiet down the rattling.

I've quieted down the license plate rattle but there's still some buzzing. Plus the added sound damping should make the bass a bit tighter.
I found what was rattling. I found a loose small screw driver. Now I hear nothing but the music. ;-)

matter of fact, I would say that the sound damping material that I put on the back of the license plate has helped quiet the lift gate all together. the bass seems slightly tighter with less extra vibration. I find I can crank the volume a little louder without the bass getting distorted.

It was only $25 at best buy to get the smallest speaker kit. Money well spent in IMO. And I have plenty of material left over if I want to go in line the rest of the inside of the lift gate. Looking forward to doing that and seeing the results.
Old 06-18-15, 04:49 PM
Bdwg22
Driver School Candidate

I found what was rattling. I found a loose small screw driver. Now I hear nothing but the music. ;-)

matter of fact, I would say that the sound damping material that I put on the back of the license plate has helped quiet the lift gate all together. the bass seems slightly tighter with less extra vibration. I find I can crank the volume a little louder without the bass getting distorted.

It was only $25 at best buy to get the smallest speaker kit. Money well spent in IMO. And I have plenty of material left over if I want to go in line the rest of the inside of the lift gate. Looking forward to doing that and seeing the results.
Where is your bass setting and how high volume you go up to? Mines set halfway and i get to around 40 before it starts distorting. That's where a better underseat sub would help bc i could lower the bass to the door speakers.
Old 06-18-15, 04:51 PM
Bdwg22
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone tried removing the panel to see under the back seat, or removing the bottom seat cushion? Is there room underneath for an amp/sub?
Old 06-20-15, 02:42 AM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bdwg22
Where is your bass setting and how high volume you go up to? Mines set halfway and i get to around 40 before it starts distorting. That's where a better underseat sub would help bc i could lower the bass to the door speakers.
It's hard to say. I set my bass to 3/4 and I usually go up to about 50. but my ears aren't the best at discerning distortion.
Old 06-23-15, 01:30 AM
Rozay604
Lead Lap

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

If anyone having rattling issues with there license plate from the stock sub. U can buy foam tape from Home Depot and cut into squares and place it on the 4 corners of the plate then screw it back on and it gets rid of the rattling. Cheaper way than dynamat.
Old 06-23-15, 05:51 PM
Buddy888
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Tresmith,

Read your post about the rattling that your are getting from your NX. I am also having the same problem, I have tried and fixed the license plate with some weather guards, it's definitely helped but I can still hear the rattle on occasion from the tailgate. Took your advice and went to bestbuy over the weekend to buy the Dynamat speaker kit, I am now just wondering how to install it. Did you have to unscrew your tail gate to apply the dynamat in the inside of the speaker or did you just apply directly onto the exterior? If you did have to remove the tailgate, which screws did you have to unscrew and was it an easy process? If possible could you also provide some pictures of your installation as I will be attempting to install the Dynamat this weekend. Thanks in advance for your help

-Nelson
Old 06-26-15, 01:45 PM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Buddy888
Hi Tresmith,

Read your post about the rattling that your are getting from your NX. I am also having the same problem, I have tried and fixed the license plate with some weather guards, it's definitely helped but I can still hear the rattle on occasion from the tailgate. Took your advice and went to bestbuy over the weekend to buy the Dynamat speaker kit, I am now just wondering how to install it. Did you have to unscrew your tail gate to apply the dynamat in the inside of the speaker or did you just apply directly onto the exterior? If you did have to remove the tailgate, which screws did you have to unscrew and was it an easy process? If possible could you also provide some pictures of your installation as I will be attempting to install the Dynamat this weekend. Thanks in advance for your help

-Nelson
Hey...I haven't gone in there yet to do the project. I am great diy'er so I looked for instructions on crutchfield but they haven't researched the NX yet. The bestbuy guy said that they can do it but they charge a ridiculous amount on labor.

I still have two options. one...on my next visit to ask the Lexus tech if they have instructions or know how to take the liftgate apart. Or two...when I go to the tint shop for my windows they should be able to do it and charge me something more reasonable than bestbuy.

I'll let you know.
Old 06-27-15, 12:17 AM
Buddy888
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey...I haven't gone in there yet to do the project. I am great diy'er so I looked for instructions on crutchfield but they haven't researched the NX yet. The bestbuy guy said that they can do it but they charge a ridiculous amount on labor.

I still have two options. one...on my next visit to ask the Lexus tech if they have instructions or know how to take the liftgate apart. Or two...when I go to the tint shop for my windows they should be able to do it and charge me something more reasonable than bestbuy.

I'll let you know.

Thanks man, much appreciated!