NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX F Sport vs. 2015 Nissan Murano Platinum

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-15, 06:39 PM
ACF156
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NX F Sport vs. 2015 Nissan Murano Platinum

I had the opportunity to test drive the NX F Sport at a Lexus sponsored event, but have not test driven the new Murano. I realize that Nissan is not a "luxury" brand; however, we have a fully loaded 2010 Pathfinder that we love. I have a 2007 Acura TSX which has 150K and I'm looking at the NX F Sport and possibly the new Murano, which fully loaded, is about the same price as the options I'd like on the F Sport. Any feedback from folks who have checked out a new, comparably equipped Platinum trim Murano vs. the NX F Sport? I know it's not "apples to apples," but I'm curious to hear your thoughts. Thanks!
Old 06-10-15, 07:08 PM
mrsinsyder
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This isn't much information, but I park next to a brand new Murano every day at work (it's fully loaded). It's a very nice vehicle from my observations. I looked at them online and did the internet build, and the pricing does get up there when you start looking at the high end versions, but they are fully loaded.

I think if you like your TSX, you may enjoy the drive feel of the NX more. I thought the Murano had more of a truck like feeling when I test drove one about a year ago. The NX has a more nimble feel and car-like ride, in my opinion. Both are very modern looking, so it may just come down to the one you like more.
Old 06-10-15, 07:10 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Do a search on "Murano CVT problem"
Old 06-10-15, 08:25 PM
Drtbk4ever
Driver

We didn't drive the new Murano, but we really liked the shape of the vehicle and the interior was classy with an understated elegance. The rear seats were the most comfortable I have have sat in. It doesn't compare to the NX, but it is a pretty nice package.
Old 06-11-15, 03:45 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Murano CVT and VVT valve tapping should be enough to push you away from a new Nissan engine.
Old 06-11-15, 04:24 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For us it was mostly a decision about the size of the cars. Haven't driven the new Murano but the dimensions are mich bigger than the NX so it was ruled out very early.

Also, I like that Lexus dealers will pick up and drop off a loaner car for service. I'm at least 40 minutes from my dealer and don't have the time to take out of my schedule to spend the day at a dealership or driving back and forth. The other nice thing is that my Lexus vehicles haven't needed to go into the shop that often.

I think the new Murano looks awesome if the size is right for you. It was just too big for what we needed as we were stepping down in size from the RX. My wife hasn't swiped he garage door yet with the NX!

Probably a better comparison with the new RX coming out but I doubt the price difference will be as close as he NX for obvious reasons.
Old 06-11-15, 04:43 AM
skr9
Driver School Candidate

I actually considered the Murano in my search as well. (And was a former Murano owner. Had a great experience with my first gen 2003 - and consistently got praise from passengers on rear seat room and comfort). The new generation is quite striking, and Nissan went decidedly up-market on this new designs interior - you could easily believe you were in an Infiniti. The Platinum trim includes a fantastic technology suite of options (nice that everything comes in one option package as opposed to a la carte options). I did a pretty long test drive of the new model, and found it extremely smooth and quiet - but it is an entirely different driving experience. It's not a drivers car - there is no 'sport package' or sport model trim; the CVT is inherently not a performance focused transmission. I ultimately decided on ordering my NX (F-Sport) because I found the driving experience much more engaging.
I also admit that I found the Murano a little on the big side - and was a little more vehicle than I really needed - the NX felt a bit more the right size for my needs. Hope the feedback helps!
Old 06-11-15, 04:58 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

I was considering the new Murano as I thought the looks were great, but as friends have them , they are very disappointed in the CVT and traded for other recently. If you look at Nissan's latest reviews, they are not as good as they use to be, and reliability is not good either. The Murano fully loaded is also way over priced in my book for a non- Luxury car, and they loose their value very quickly.
Old 06-11-15, 07:23 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Car and Driver ranks the Murano #2 in the segment behind the Jeep Grand Cherokee.

From their Owner Surveys, Consumer Reports rates the Predicted Reliability at Average to Above Average. In the areas of Transmission Major and Trans. Minor it's rated Well Above Average.

As noted, it's quite a bit bigger and also in a different segment than the NX.
Old 06-11-15, 08:35 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

I owned a 2009 Murano and loved it for the most part. Interior quality was on par with Infiniti. In fact, sitting in the Murano and then in an Infiniti, you would have a hard time telling the difference between the two. I haven't driven a new Murano, but compared to my old 2009, it is significantly more comfortable than an NX F sport. On par comfort-wise with the base NX, but the Murano is significantly roomier in a good way.

I sold the Murano for my current RX because of one glaring annoyance....the CVT. I hated it. It was just as fast as my current RX (maybe a little faster actually) but the feel of the car wasn't great. But, they have since introduced a CVT that has predetermined ratios that make it mimic a geared transmission, which has been getting great reviews.

I owned my Murano for 5 years and never had any functional issues with the CVT, though. I just didn't like how it felt. Overall, a very comfortable car.
Old 06-11-15, 08:37 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ronn1
I was considering the new Murano as I thought the looks were great, but as friends have them , they are very disappointed in the CVT and traded for other recently. If you look at Nissan's latest reviews, they are not as good as they use to be, and reliability is not good either. The Murano fully loaded is also way over priced in my book for a non- Luxury car, and they loose their value very quickly.
Maybe times have changed, but I bought mine for $36K and five years later got $18K as a trade in with 60K miles. I would have gotten more selling private party. Either way, retaining 50% of its original value at 5 years is pretty darn good.
Old 06-11-15, 08:54 AM
leej865
Driver

One of my sisters has owned 2 Muranos...she lives in the mountainous regions of the northeast, and they have performed flawlessly for her. I have owned 5 Infinitis over the years and have never had a single issue with any of them. The VQ engines have won several awards over the years too. All reviews for the new Murano seem positive, and they say the luxury level is right up there with the current RX. I think you should drive it back to back with the NX to get a feel for the differences in the vehicles to truly understand.
Old 06-11-15, 10:14 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Yeah, I may look at the Murano instead of sticking with Lexus. I really like the base NX but it is a touch small for me. And I fear the new RX will be a touch too big and too expensive.
Old 06-11-15, 10:24 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by viperdoc
Yeah, I may look at the Murano instead of sticking with Lexus. I really like the base NX but it is a touch small for me. And I fear the new RX will be a touch too big and too expensive.
Best of luck when any of these...they are all nice looking rides, and decisions are tough at times ! Will the new RX be larger than the Murano ? I like the looks of the new RX except for the rear side.....can't get use to that molding (Chrome) coming down as it does with the black plastic.
Old 06-11-15, 10:26 AM
aIRpeACE
Rookie

the murano is bigger and more horses compared to the NX. but the NX is more refined and i am sure the build quality is better too

Quick Reply: NX F Sport vs. 2015 Nissan Murano Platinum