NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Interesting comment from a GX owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-15, 06:04 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Interesting comment from a GX owner

While getting gas yesterday, a guy with two kids pulled up behind me in a new Lexus GX and was getting gas as well. He kept looking at my NX, and then said, " well, how do you like your new souped-up Rav4 ? " being rather stunned at that comment, I said " it is awesome, and if you haven't driven this , you should give it a try....I think you will be amazed at what THIS RAV4 will do " . Got in my NX, and away I went !
So my question for thought is...are there Lexus owners that resent the NX because it is cheaper in price ? Are they really thinking this is a Premium Rav4? I had a friend ask me if I bought the NX because it was cheaper and just wanted to say I had a Lexus.....how ridiculous. While the Lexus NX starting price is in the upper thirties, most of us are paying much more than that for the NX. I'm wondering though if some people are having this mindset that this is popular because it is cheaper than the other Lexus SUV's, and it's the only way some folks can buy one. Personally, I resent the friend of mine saying that to me. I could have bought the RX, or another Lexus, but this was the perfect size for me, and that's why I bought it, IN ADDITION TO IT'S UNIQUE LOOKS. And at the end of the day, the price shouldn't matter either. Lexus is not a cheap car, no matter what model you buy. I could have gotten much nastier with this guy with the GX, but didn't. What would you have said ?

Last edited by RDLGX; 06-08-15 at 06:08 AM.
Old 06-08-15, 06:09 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I wonder if that guy realizes exactly what he's driving? His argument is old and tired. All brands share platforms, bits and pieces etc. these days.
Old 06-08-15, 06:17 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I tend not to pay attention to people who act like rectums.
Old 06-08-15, 06:27 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

From the above article: "If you think of the GX470 as a gussied-up and gold-plated Toyota 4Runner, you're mostly right."

But i'd have just truly just said nothing.
Old 06-08-15, 06:29 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I would have just laughed and said, "I enjoy my Rav4 as much as you enjoy your glorified 4Runner". Smiled, and got into my car.
Old 06-08-15, 06:30 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

http://www.thecarconnection.com/over...us_gx-460_2015

From the above article: "Slotted right below the full-size Lexus LX 570, the GX is built on the same platform as the foreign-market Toyota Land Cruiser Prado. It's also cousins with the Toyota 4Runner..."
Old 06-08-15, 06:35 AM
gemini6kl
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Alot of people like to run their mouth and give their opinion on things they know nothing about . Maybe that's human nature. I used to hear and believe these comments all the time about lexus being an upgraded camry etc, etc . Well in 2013 i purchased a v6 2012 camry and drove it for about 2 years and recently upgraded to a ES 350 and let me tell u they are no where near the same. Its really like night and day the ES is a more refined car in that its quieter and bigger on the inside and just rides totally different to the camry. The V6 camry was faster and more nimble but not as smooth as the lexus in its delivery of power. Now I just laugh when people make those comparisons.
Old 06-08-15, 06:38 AM
wildeklave
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

isn't the GS an upgraded Avalon?
Old 06-08-15, 06:57 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by wildeklave
No, the current gen ES shates its platform with the Avalon both FWD. The GS is RWD and AWD along with the IS.
Old 06-08-15, 06:58 AM
Drift King
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope... The Avalon is a FWD sedan while the GS is a RWD/AWD sedan. The 1st and 2nd gen GS were based of the Toyota Aristo. The third gen (S190) is based on the LF-S (Lexus Future Sedan) concept car and is built on it's own platform as is the 4th gen (L10).
Old 06-08-15, 07:01 AM
leej865
Driver

No. The GS is on a rear-wheel drive platform (or AWD). The Avalon is on a front-wheel drive platform. The Lexus ES shares the Avalon platform, chassis, transmission and engine.
Old 06-08-15, 07:02 AM
Drift King
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LexBob2 beat me by a minute... lol!
Old 06-08-15, 07:03 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone who would say something like that, let alone in front of their kids, has a problem and isn't even worth responding to. Who would say something insulting to a total stranger like that.

I really don't care what people think about what I drive or what the platform is as long as it meets my needs. Many of us can afford much more expensive vehicles but chose the NX because of its value proposition, etc.

Choose to spend your time enjoying what is important to you and not some idiot with multiple issues.

Now I am done
Old 06-08-15, 07:06 AM
leej865
Driver

Platform sharing is not something unique in auto manufacturing. It has existed since the original invention of the production line of manufacturing. No automobile manufacturer could stay in business if they created a unique platform for every model. Every manufacturer only has a few platforms that then get shared across their entire line up.

It's no different when you buy a house...builders will up-fit a house with different quality of materials...but use the same floorplans from one community to the next. There can be as much as $80-$100 k difference in the price points from the upscale community to the more moderately priced community. This isn't rocket science, but good business.
Old 06-08-15, 07:18 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

At the end of the day, if my NX is simply a Rav4 with 90% new, reengineered, re-stylized and upgraded parts, then so be it. Haters gonna hate.

And really, what kind of person are you when you choose to criticize people that you don't know? (And Swacie and I are buds now, so don't go there)

Quick Reply: Interesting comment from a GX owner