NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Interesting comment from a GX owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-15, 05:26 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You'll always have people that say things like that.

Things I've heard in my life:

When I had a Genesis Coupe - "Look, its a glorified Kia! "

When I discussed purchasing an IS-F (instead of the Camaro) - "Its nothing more than a dressed up Corolla with a detuned V8 in it"

When I have the Camaro - "Boy, I wish they would have kept the Firebird instead, Camaros are just so cheap." OR Corvette owners will just look and laugh.

When I discuss my next car purchase, which will be a GT-R - "Why would you spend that kind of money on a simple Nissan? Buy a real brand name" Says the guy with a Honda Civic & Ford Mustang....

A guy at CnC toward my wife's new IS - "Its nothing more than a refascia'd Corolla"

Overall, our society has become very jealous, and overall judgmental.
Old 06-09-15, 06:38 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
Indeed. They are merely miserable people who derive pleasure from the demise or lack of stature - perceived or real - of others. And unfortunately our society tolerates, even embraces it - one look at the vast offerings of "reality TV" confirms this: "Let's watch the freak show to make ourselves feel superior!"
Old 06-09-15, 09:31 AM
leej865
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 15LexNX2t
Indeed. They are merely miserable people who derive pleasure from the demise or lack of stature - perceived or real - of others. And unfortunately our society tolerates, even embraces it - one look at the vast offerings of "reality TV" confirms this: "Let's watch the freak show to make ourselves feel superior!"
Reality TV is the absolute worst! Somehow, the more ignorant one acts, the more 'entertaining' that is...but you see this out in public. People no longer know how to act in public at all. A trip to the mall is like a trip to the zoo...well, zoo animals are more dignified, so I take that back. A few weeks ago I saw an entire family at the grocery store in full out pajamas, housecoats, and slippers...parents and children.
Old 06-11-15, 07:55 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by leej865
Reality TV is the absolute worst! Somehow, the more ignorant one acts, the more 'entertaining' that is...but you see this out in public. People no longer know how to act in public at all. A trip to the mall is like a trip to the zoo...well, zoo animals are more dignified, so I take that back. A few weeks ago I saw an entire family at the grocery store in full out pajamas, housecoats, and slippers...parents and children.
Yes, in the "old days" there were things like etiquette classes for young ladies. Now, they watch the Kardashians to learn how to go out into the world and conduct themselves. Reality TV has made celebrities out of people with no talent or couth. The best show on right now is UNReal, which spoofs shows like The Bachelor and shows how the directors manipulate the contestants to become belligerant, break down on camera and make fools of themselves. This is what America is using as a model for their behavior.

Now, what were we talking about again?
Old 06-12-15, 03:48 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dseag2

Now, what were we talking about again?
Smores...and probably camp fires...I don't remember
Old 06-14-15, 12:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronn1
While getting gas yesterday, a guy with two kids pulled up behind me in a new Lexus GX and was getting gas as well. He kept looking at my NX, and then said, " well, how do you like your new souped-up Rav4 ? " being rather stunned at that comment, I said " it is awesome, and if you haven't driven this , you should give it a try....I think you will be amazed at what THIS RAV4 will do " . Got in my NX, and away I went !
So my question for thought is...are there Lexus owners that resent the NX because it is cheaper in price ? Are they really thinking this is a Premium Rav4? I had a friend ask me if I bought the NX because it was cheaper and just wanted to say I had a Lexus.....how ridiculous. While the Lexus NX starting price is in the upper thirties, most of us are paying much more than that for the NX. I'm wondering though if some people are having this mindset that this is popular because it is cheaper than the other Lexus SUV's, and it's the only way some folks can buy one. Personally, I resent the friend of mine saying that to me. I could have bought the RX, or another Lexus, but this was the perfect size for me, and that's why I bought it, IN ADDITION TO IT'S UNIQUE LOOKS. And at the end of the day, the price shouldn't matter either. Lexus is not a cheap car, no matter what model you buy. I could have gotten much nastier with this guy with the GX, but didn't. What would you have said ?
I think there might be a little resentment from the GX owners as the new NX while Rav4 based has a lot of features and design elements that are new to Lexus and usher in the new breed of Lexus. For example, new turbo engine, far superior interior design and materials compared to the GX, new remote touch, features and features galore, new more modern rear door and more prestige IMO.

The GX on the other hand is hardly stunning or exciting, the interior is dated, the rear door is horrible, the 4.6 is under powered and I could go on and on.

Enjoy your NX.
Old 06-14-15, 01:13 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I paid more for my NX than I did for either of the RX's I owned.
Old 06-14-15, 02:59 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Swacer
You'll always have people that say things like that.

Things I've heard in my life:

When I had a Genesis Coupe - "Look, its a glorified Kia! "

When I discussed purchasing an IS-F (instead of the Camaro) - "Its nothing more than a dressed up Corolla with a detuned V8 in it"

When I have the Camaro - "Boy, I wish they would have kept the Firebird instead, Camaros are just so cheap." OR Corvette owners will just look and laugh.

When I discuss my next car purchase, which will be a GT-R - "Why would you spend that kind of money on a simple Nissan? Buy a real brand name" Says the guy with a Honda Civic & Ford Mustang....

A guy at CnC toward my wife's new IS - "Its nothing more than a refascia'd Corolla"

I wish they made a RWD Corolla.
Old 06-15-15, 05:18 AM
illtww
Rookie

Originally Posted by NickTee
I wish they made a RWD Corolla.
I second this!
Old 06-15-15, 04:19 PM
gooner
Driver School Candidate

Angry

Originally Posted by leej865
hear, hear...easy to confuse the species nowadays...
Old 07-26-15, 07:04 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by illtww
I second this!
It exists, check out the Toyota Mark X or Reiz. It's a bit bigger than a Corolla, smaller than a Camry, and I have no idea why it exists when sales are so low.