NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

2016 BMW X1 or NX?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-15, 01:58 PM
hohohong
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 BMW X1 or NX?

BMW just announced X1. I'm digging the look more than NX.

And NX is a little pricier than X1,... I would think.

Dilemma,....
Old 06-07-15, 02:14 PM
mrsinsyder
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a feeling that a well-equipped X1 will be more expensive than an NX. The base X1 has traditionally been stripped down.
Old 06-07-15, 02:22 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The NX and X3 are closer in size along with other segment models.
Old 06-07-15, 02:54 PM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

BMW reliability is not as good as Lexus. I have several friends that have had many problems with BMW and Mercedes. They are nice looking, but beware of the issues. I was very interested in the X3 , but decided after my friends problems, I would stick with Lexus.
Old 06-07-15, 04:49 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ronn1
BMW reliability is not as good as Lexus. I have several friends that have had many problems with BMW and Mercedes. They are nice looking, but beware of the issues. I was very interested in the X3 , but decided after my friends problems, I would stick with Lexus.
While not at Lexus levels, CR says from their Owner Surveys that the reliability of the X1 and X3 in both 4 and 6 cylinder form is Average. It's good to know in advance what to expect reliability-wise though.

I think it's safe to assume the NX will continue the trend of very good reliability.
Old 06-07-15, 05:19 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Personally not my cup of tea, but the new X1 looks much improved over the current one especially the interior. It's now FWD based on the Mini platform and is shorter overall than the current one at 175 inches which translates to being about 8 inches shorter than the NX or X3. As some have echoed above, reliability is a question mark with BMW so a caution to buy and keep longer term, but OK as a 3-year lease to stay within warranty. Available this Fall. Option for option, X1 =NX on price, but NX competes with the X3 which the latter is 10-15% more similarly equipped. Good luck in your decision.

Old 06-08-15, 12:54 AM
phatm3
Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Personally not my cup of tea, but the new X1 looks much improved over the current one especially the interior. It's now FWD based on the Mini platform and is shorter overall than the current one at 175 inches which translates to being about 8 inches shorter than the NX or X3. As some have echoed above, reliability is a question mark with BMW so a caution to buy and keep longer term, but OK as a 3-year lease to stay within warranty. Available this Fall. Option for option, X1 =NX on price, but NX competes with the X3 which the latter is 10-15% more similarly equipped. Good luck in your decision.

Echoing everyone above, and coming from an ML350 and E46 M3, reliability on these BMWs and MBs are not good. BMW sucks as far as rubber is concerned, bushing and bearings fail early and often. Parts are expensive and labor is 10times more expensive. And I take care of my cars to the point of obsessive. Our MB had to go back to the dealerships several times a year.
Our daughters have Prius cars and no issues whatsoever. Both are over three year old cars. Can't beat Toyota reliability.
Plus the NX blows away the X1 in the looks department. My two cents
Old 06-08-15, 05:18 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The BMW will always be more expensive when you compare apples to apples. The germans have a terrible pricing arrangement in which the "starting" price is a level lower than base, and then everything must be added. Its a very good way to "get what you want", but it makes price comparison impossible.

Personally, I've thought over the last couple years that BMW interiors are looking cheaper and cheaper. Heck, there is a brand new M4 in our parking lot, and with the exception of the display screen, it looks no better than my Chevy Camaro. Which doesn't say much when you're comparing 40k to 74k.

Reliability is a joke for germans, I personally would only lease a german car because at year 3 or 4, you can give it back and make it their problem. A Toyota, you buy and know it will be there in the long term. So if you're looking for a short term possession, maybe reliability doesn't matter to you? But if you're looking beyond 3-4 yrs, the BMW will not work for you.

The other issue too is that the germans have built their cars such that the typical person can not do the work at home. Many times changing brakes and rotors anymore require special "keys" to unlock things. Or special tools for removal. All the more to suck you into the dealership to pay stupid high prices for labor. Lexus is the lowest price per hour of the luxury brands.
Old 06-08-15, 05:46 AM
wildeklave
Pole Position

I was evaluating the X! in the past. It gets great drive-ability reviews.

What held me back on it was:
- 1 cup holder (many customers complained that the interior was so tight that there was just 1)
- The X1 is basically a tall station wagon made to look like an SUV. The ground clearance is probably an inch higher than a 3 series. The height is only about 61 inches vs. a 3 series of 56.5, a Corolla of 57.5, a Focus of 57.7, and the NX of 64.8 inches. The Kia Soul, Honda HRV, and Nissan Juke are all taller as well yet none are as tall as a typical SUV..
Old 06-08-15, 06:20 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

As mentioned before, the X1 is really in a different size class and segment. It no doubt well be cross shopped, but the NX X3, Q5, RDX, MKC etc. are all in that Luxury Compact CUV segment size and price wise.
Old 06-08-15, 08:42 AM
F6FHellcat
Driver School Candidate

There is a pretty good thread on this site comparing the 2015 X1 with the 2015 NX. I have owned both vehicles and am much more satisfied with the NX. Not knowing the details for the 2016 X1, here are some aspects to consider:

-- 2015 X1 lower to the ground than the 2015 NX; I prefer the taller NX
-- BMW pricing on the 2015 X1 is complicated with a panoply of different options; base; X-Line, M, four-cylinder, six-cylinder, FWD, AWD, etc. You really need to do a lot of careful comparisons to figure out which might be the better value
-- 2015 X1 is a sort of a wagon and sort of an SUV
-- BMW offers four years of no charge regular maintenance to the original owner
-- I would be interested to see which will hold value better -- the X1 or the NX
Old 06-08-15, 08:59 AM
aIRpeACE
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i believe the NX is a little roomier and more refined vehicle than the x1
Old 06-08-15, 09:14 AM
GlenK
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I looked at BMWs and quite honestly just didn't like the looks of their SUVs. Not really sure why, just didn't like um...
Old 06-08-15, 10:09 AM
brendaman
Driver School Candidate

I drive a 3-series BMW now and have been for past 15 years. I love it. It's fun to drive. I zip through city and highway. Test-drove the X3 and loved it as well and thought that would be my next car (the old X1 was too much of a station wagon for me). After the warranty expired on my BMW, I started taking it to a BMW-dedicated mechanic, who advised that I either lease it or if buying it, get rid of it when the warranty ran out. He says there is just too much plastic on the new Bimmers which wear out easily. And as others have said, the labor costs are higher relative to the Lexus.

If you want it for the looks and fun driving, go ahead. Don't be fooled into thinking that it will be more reliable or have a low cost of ownership, compared to a Lexus. If I were going to get another German driving machine, I'd look at the Audi. Consumer Reports rates it higher than BMW or Mercedes. Of course, Lexus is at the top of their list.
Old 06-08-15, 10:46 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pricing NX compares to X1

Size / Features NX compares to X3

The X1 is really a older generation 3 series station wagon chassis with higher ground clearance and xDrive. They report those sales as Cars, not trucks or SUV.

Think of it like this: Buying an NX as like buying an X3 at the same price as an X1, with better interior and better reliability.

Quick Reply: 2016 BMW X1 or NX?