2016 BMW X1 or NX?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-15, 01:08 PM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I have now written this reply:
Hello:

I contacted you earlier today wondering why ventilated seats are not available on the F-Sport. David Rosen responded, "...We apologize that you are displeased that the F-Sport seats do not have ventilated seats. The options are available based on popularity..."

Um...OK. But now, two things:

First, in the email it clearly says, "If you require further assistance, please respond to this e-mail..." When I tried to do this, the email bounced back as undeliverable - the Reply To address (Customer_Satisfaction_Inquiries@lexus.com) is apparently no good.

Lastly, can anyone tell me why the ventilated seats aren't even offered as an option on the F-Sport? Many people in the southern states - like myself - would surely pay for these! Is it a cost or manufacturing limitation of some kind? We'd love to know!

Thank you in advance.
Let's see how this gets responded to.
Old 06-10-15, 01:34 PM
15RC350F
Advanced

Final response:
Dear Mr. Cranford,

Thank you for contacting Lexus Customer Satisfaction.

We apologize that we do not have information as to the decisions of our engineers located in Japan and why they have made some options unavailable in certain vehicles. We also do not have contact information for these individuals to obtain these answers as it is proprietary information. Please know we have documented your inquiry for future product consideration.

Please know, we are currently experiencing technical issues with our Customer_Satisfaction_Inquiries@lexus.com email. Lexus is currently working to resolve this issue. We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you.

If you require further assistance, please respond to this e-mail, or contact Lexus Customer Satisfaction at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 5:00 am to 6:00 pm, or Saturday, 7:00 am to 4:00 pm, Pacific Time.

Sincerely,
Elizabeth Verdin
Lexus Customer Satisfaction
And that, folks, is the end of that.
Old 06-10-15, 01:56 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by camarogran
Apparently states up north.
I realize that you are disappointed in this unavailability but really, isn't it something we all go through when shopping for a new car? We all have lists of must haves as well as nice to haves. If you can't get the absolute must haves and there is no compromise, you move on to something else that has those items and meets your needs. I guess that no car will be perfect unless you are in exotic territitory and maybe not even then.
Old 06-10-15, 02:40 PM
Rdcrow
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last summer I had a loaner GS with ventilated seats. Got in the car after leaving it parked in the 90 degree sun and put the seats to the highest cooling level. It didn't make a difference.
Old 06-10-15, 03:14 PM
camarogran
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

90 I would agree but We get 105 -110 so I'm sure it would make a difference for us.

I got a reply from their customer service department. Didn't someone mention the ventilated was already on the nuluxe in other models?

The reason why heated/ventilated seats are not offered for the 2015 Lexus NX model is because this feature would conflict against the NuLuxe interior material of the seats. Heated/ventilated seats are offered for our vehicles that have leather interior material. Our NX model does not have leather interior offered because our head management intended to keep the price of the vehicle lower and more affordable in comparison to our other SUV models, as leather is very expensive to install. We appreciate your interest and apologize for the inconvenience.
Old 06-10-15, 03:30 PM
15RC350F
Advanced

Originally Posted by camarogran
90 I would agree but We get 105 -110 so I'm sure it would make a difference for us.

I got a reply from their customer service department. Didn't someone mention the ventilated was already on the nuluxe in other models?

The reason why heated/ventilated seats are not offered for the 2015 Lexus NX model is because this feature would conflict against the NuLuxe interior material of the seats. Heated/ventilated seats are offered for our vehicles that have leather interior material. Our NX model does not have leather interior offered because our head management intended to keep the price of the vehicle lower and more affordable in comparison to our other SUV models, as leather is very expensive to install. We appreciate your interest and apologize for the inconvenience.
Um...I have [Creme] leather in my NX. And ventilated seats. And ventilated seats are available with NuLuxe in the non-F-Sport flavor of the car (with the Premium Package). So whomever answered you is, um, not correct.
Old 06-11-15, 03:47 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

They aren't going to offer up anything. If they did, then there wouldn't be a need for people to buy the 2015, if they knew the options they wanted would be in the 2016.

And I put my foot in my mouth. Chevy does "occasionally" listen. People wanted Recaro racing seats in their cars, which was only offered for 2014+ Camaros, enough people complained that they wanted the seats in their 2010-2013s that GM began offering that you could buy OEM Recaros, and the dealership would update your computer to account for them. Of course, you're paying $2k per seat....
Old 06-11-15, 05:12 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

I find the Nuluxe seats to be hotter than the leather that I have had in previous vehicles, but I never used the ventilated seats much in the Highlander. I'm sure that future NX models will add more as time goes along. The new RX will probably have a small price increase, so IMO they will add more to the NX with a small price increase down the road.
Old 06-11-15, 08:26 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rdcrow
Last summer I had a loaner GS with ventilated seats. Got in the car after leaving it parked in the 90 degree sun and put the seats to the highest cooling level. It didn't make a difference.
There is quite a long thread on the RX forums talking about how to make the ventilated seats into an air conditioned seat....there is a difference and it is a big one. Typically when you have the A/C on, only the upper vents are blasting cold air. So down below the seat, only the pre-existing warm air is being pushed up through the seat bottom. There is a flap of fabric on the back of the seat that wraps up under the rear bottom of the seat. It is held in by some clips that are easily undone. Undo the clips and that flap comes down to the floor and creates almost a sealed area under the seat. After you do this alteration, turn on the A/C, and the seat ventilation, and make SURE the bottom air vents are going as well. Now the air under the seat will be air conditioned air and will blow through the seat bottom. I do this in my RX and the seats become frigid within minutes.
Old 06-11-15, 08:41 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Originally Posted by viperdoc
There is quite a long thread on the RX forums talking about how to make the ventilated seats into an air conditioned seat....there is a difference and it is a big one. Typically when you have the A/C on, only the upper vents are blasting cold air. So down below the seat, only the pre-existing warm air is being pushed up through the seat bottom. There is a flap of fabric on the back of the seat that wraps up under the rear bottom of the seat. It is held in by some clips that are easily undone. Undo the clips and that flap comes down to the floor and creates almost a sealed area under the seat. After you do this alteration, turn on the A/C, and the seat ventilation, and make SURE the bottom air vents are going as well. Now the air under the seat will be air conditioned air and will blow through the seat bottom. I do this in my RX and the seats become frigid within minutes.
Could you post a link to that thread (to help those whose searching skills might need a bit of help?)
Old 06-12-15, 10:28 PM
Dreamlab
Rookie

To the original poster: 2016 X1 or NX

I had been driving a BMW 330i for about 10 years, and was looking for my next vehicle and went and test drove the current BMW X1 (both the 4cyl & 6cyl engines) I liked it ok, they both drove and handled very well since they were based on a previous 3-series platform. I loved the upgraded HK stereo (are you listening Lexus? - the top of the line stereo is NOT available in the US for the NX).

What I did not like about the current X1's was the interior was cheap, yes it was leather, but it just looked and felt cheap. The other things I did not like is the looks of it, specifically the rear end and the sides, the front end looks fine.

I was excited at the NX and checked them out, but we already had a Venza and a Lexus RX350 and I decided that having a third big SUV type vehicle did not make sense, so I ended up getting a certified 328i Coupe with super low mileage, the interior is very nice and not cheap at all.

I saw the photos of the new 2016 X1 and it looks good, better than the current model, but since it is supposedly built on a mini-cooper platform, my advise would be to wait and drive it first.

So there you have it from a someone who currently owns both a BMW & a Lexus.
Old 06-13-15, 01:21 AM
hohohong
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dreamlab
To the original poster: 2016 X1 or NX

I had been driving a BMW 330i for about 10 years, and was looking for my next vehicle and went and test drove the current BMW X1 (both the 4cyl & 6cyl engines) I liked it ok, they both drove and handled very well since they were based on a previous 3-series platform. I loved the upgraded HK stereo (are you listening Lexus? - the top of the line stereo is NOT available in the US for the NX).

What I did not like about the current X1's was the interior was cheap, yes it was leather, but it just looked and felt cheap. The other things I did not like is the looks of it, specifically the rear end and the sides, the front end looks fine.

I was excited at the NX and checked them out, but we already had a Venza and a Lexus RX350 and I decided that having a third big SUV type vehicle did not make sense, so I ended up getting a certified 328i Coupe with super low mileage, the interior is very nice and not cheap at all.

I saw the photos of the new 2016 X1 and it looks good, better than the current model, but since it is supposedly built on a mini-cooper platform, my advise would be to wait and drive it first.

So there you have it from a someone who currently owns both a BMW & a Lexus.
Thanks for your insight.

The look of X1 is growing on me. And the fuel economy is pretty impressive. I don't really care about rear wheel drive. If I can get a loaded X1 for CAD $45K,... I'm pretty much sold. A loaded NX is around CAD $55K.

But if BMW,... I'm prob gonna lease instead of owning it. Don't trust european car reliability.
Old 10-23-15, 03:54 PM
camarogran
Driver School Candidate

Hi everyone. Bumping this back with my final decision. I have placed my order for the 2016 X1. Drove well and got a good price on it.

Here is how i ordered mine:
  • Sliding and Reclining rear seat adjustment
  • Harman Kardon surround sound system
  • Cold Weather Package
  • Driver Assistance Package w Parking Assistant, Park Distance Control, Rear view camera
  • Driver Assistance Plus w Active Driving Assistant and ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant
  • Premium Package w LED Headlights with Cornering Lights
  • Technology Package w Head-up Display

MSRP 46,120. Purchase price 44,085
Comparable to the NX F sport AWD with similar packages was 47,260 MSRP

Really you cant go wrong with either one of these two vehicles. They are fast, they are big for a small suv, and they have good luxury options. I went with the BMW simply because it had a couple more of those features I wanted and slightly looked better (in my opinion... slightly)

I want to thank everyone here that helped me during my research process. Ohh in case you guys are wondering ventilated seats also not an option on the X1.
Old 10-23-15, 04:04 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

I don't consider the X1 in the same class of vehicle as the NX. it belongs with the Mercedes GLA in that they are more sedan chassis than an SUV (or compact SUV) chassis. They also sit much lower to the ground. In fact, both the X1 and the GLA look like station wagons, IMHO.

Having said that, station wagons do appeal to some drivers.
Old 10-23-15, 04:23 PM
camarogran
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NXOwner
I don't consider the X1 in the same class of vehicle as the NX. it belongs with the Mercedes GLA in that they are more sedan chassis than an SUV (or compact SUV) chassis. They also sit much lower to the ground. In fact, both the X1 and the GLA look like station wagons, IMHO.

Having said that, station wagons do appeal to some drivers.
I'm thinking you are talking about the 2015x1 and not the 2016 X1. I agree 2015 looks like a wagon which is why we didn't consider it when cross shopping with the NX. But the 2016 is the direct competition of the NX. NX slightly taller by 1 inch but the form is about the same.

Quick Reply: 2016 BMW X1 or NX?