NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

2016 BMW X1 or NX?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-15, 08:00 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
Right...and Lexus has provided you with quite a bit.
Swacie's right. But I guess that, for some, it will never be enough.
Old 06-10-15, 08:29 AM
Rdcrow
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently drove an Escape rental on a work trip. The fit and finish is what you expect from a $20k car. The suspension is much softer but it didn't help much when dealing with bumps and potholes in roads. Not to mention the body roll when turning at higher speeds. At highway speeds road noise is louder than that of the NX.

I'd forego vented seats for a more refined ride, but that's just me
Old 06-10-15, 10:47 AM
camarogran
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right...and Lexus has provided you with quite a bit.

You have Toyota reliability....instead of Ford unreliability

You have Nuluxe seats...instead of the Ford leather that feels like dead hamsters

You have a quiet interior with soft leather sewn to every panel....instead of hard fit plastic

I can keep going...but your gripe isn't helping drive you point home.

You can add ventilated seats to a Ford...and in the end..its still a Ford. Its an economy brand car...with a ventilated seat that will eventually fail (probably much earlier than it should)

It’s obvious some of you don’t deal with the heat like i do in Texas. This is a vehicle that will be parked outside most of the time for 8 hours. Tint will help but nothing works best to cool down quicker than ventilated seats. I've seen them in an old Ford and wow they are lovely [His leather seats looked great too ] So if the technology is there with Lexus why arent they using it.

Yes i want this brand because of Toyota’s reliability. That’s the big draw like you mentioned but to me a luxury vehicle is a decked out vehicle. This includes not only comfort, reliability, attention to detail, and all the features possible. To some the features may not be a priority so I get it. The reason i posted in this forum was to try to gain an understanding why Lexus made this choice. Why is the ventilated option not in the F sport but yes on the regular NX. They both have the same Nuluxe material seat do they not? I haven’t really received much of the why and instead been hit with the standard who cares mentality.

I come from a Camaro forum where there is thousands of vendors, hundreds of DIY’s kings, and a good handful of insiders. Someone would have already come up with the details on how to make this work as this appears regardless if it needed computer mods or just hardware. I was hoping this site had that.. I was wrong.
Old 06-10-15, 10:56 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Originally Posted by camarogran
Someone would have already come up with the details on how to make this work as this appears regardless if it needed computer mods or just hardware. I was hoping this site had that.. I was wrong.
I think what you're hearing from all of us, besides those who are in the "I didn't care when I picked an F-Sport" crowd, is that we simply do not know why Lexus made this choice here in the U.S. and, further, that Lexus itself has not been forthcoming with that explanation. Personally I wanted ventilation and so avoided the F-Sport as the salesman's response to "why not?" was simply "We don't know...they just aren't available that way."

If I were to go to a Ford, Chevy, etc. forum and ask "How do I make my non-ventilated seats become ventilated?" what kind of responses do you surmise I would receive? Or if I ask something like "Why is the X steering wheel not available in the Y vehicle?" what would I hear in response? Would Ford or Chevy respond?

Last edited by 15RC350F; 06-10-15 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-10-15, 11:07 AM
camarogran
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 15LexNX2t
I think what you're hearing from all of us, besides those who are in the "I didn't care when I picked an F-Sport" crowd, is that we simply do not know why Lexus made this choice here in the U.S. and, further, that Lexus itself has not been forthcoming with that explanation. Personally I wanted ventilation and so avoided the F-Sport as the salesman's response to "why not?" was simply "We don't know...they just aren't available that way."

If I were to go to a Ford, Chevy, etc. forum and ask "How do I make my non-ventilated seats become ventilated?" what kind of responses do you surmise I would receive? Or if I ask something like "Why is the X steering wheel not available in the Y vehicle?" what would I hear in response?
Thanks for your frank reply. I understand what you mean. I got the same response from the salesman. I had a better understanding of the vehicle than he did. Thankfully i hear the service dept is not as inept as the sales team.

On the 2nd part of your reply. In the Camaro forum an insider would have probably given the reason as to why they did not include the option. The forum has insiders that actually designed the vehicle. i.e. they didnt include a screen navigation on the 2010 camaro in order to compete with the cost of the Mustang. Also in the camaro forum someone would have came up with a DIY on how to make this work already. In that work customization is king so it would not have taken long specially if the same product ( but different model) already has it.

So that's why i asked for an insider. mrsinsyder was first to reply and her input was (they simply dont). this makes me thing she is not really an insider lol

I have a feeling that the issue has to do with the tightness of the F sport seat creating complications to integrate it. I see some folks complaining on the comfort of that seat so i can see them going the route of not jeopardizing the comfort even more.
Old 06-10-15, 11:14 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It’s obvious some of you don’t deal with the heat like i do in Texas. This is a vehicle that will be parked outside most of the time for 8 hours. Tint will help but nothing works best to cool down quicker than ventilated seats. I've seen them in an old Ford and wow they are lovely [His leather seats looked great too ] So if the technology is there with Lexus why arent they using it.

Yes i want this brand because of Toyota’s reliability. That’s the big draw like you mentioned but to me a luxury vehicle is a decked out vehicle. This includes not only comfort, reliability, attention to detail, and all the features possible. To some the features may not be a priority so I get it. The reason i posted in this forum was to try to gain an understanding why Lexus made this choice. Why is the ventilated option not in the F sport but yes on the regular NX. They both have the same Nuluxe material seat do they not? I haven’t really received much of the why and instead been hit with the standard who cares mentality.

I come from a Camaro forum where there is thousands of vendors, hundreds of DIY’s kings, and a good handful of insiders. Someone would have already come up with the details on how to make this work as this appears regardless if it needed computer mods or just hardware. I was hoping this site had that.. I was wrong.
Coming from Camaro5 or LS1tech?

Oh, we're dealing with heat. Its 90F and >50% humidity this week. I understand heat. My car also sits out all day, not just the work day...

Lexus has a very confusing offering. I have griped about the same thing as to why the Canucks get a heads up, and I don't. You ask this same question at a dealership, and you'll get crickets.

Now, I've asked the same question about modifications, but you won't get that kind of an answer that you get on a Camaro forum. The owners of these cars aren't as willing to tear their cars down as GM fans usually are. Now why is that? Well, in some ways, its because their Lexus just WORK, they don't need to tear them apart and deal with stuff not working. lol Others just want a car that suits their needs, and don't see a reason nor have the desire to tear it apart. I wanted and IS-F back in 2012, and again in 2014 (was ready to trade the Camaro), until I realized how limited and boring the mod world is over at Lexus. When people think mods, they think "lowering" (something called slammed....) counts as a mod, or claim stance if their camber went to hell on a set of incorrect wheels (I don't think they realized stance is putting 12" tires under your car). I got the Camaro because I wanted mods...but now I have to deal with a car that has 10k miles and won't idle for some odd reason... Betcha if it was a Toyota it would be running

People are just happy with how their cars work from the factory, and theres nothing wrong with that.

Originally Posted by 15LexNX2t

If I were to go to a Ford, Chevy, etc. forum and ask "How do I make my non-ventilated seats become ventilated?" what kind of responses do you surmise I would receive? Or if I ask something like "Why is the X steering wheel not available in the Y vehicle?" what would I hear in response? Would Ford or Chevy respond?
Now lets separate here. If you mention it to Chevy corporate, they will laugh and ignore you.

However, you go onto a forum, and there is a huge desire for something to work, as the other Camaro guy said, people will find a way to make ti work. For example, 2010-2012 Camaros were screwed out of MyLink touch screens. What happened? A very intelligent member spent a year and found a way to make a MyLink install work such that someone could tear their 2010-2012 stereo out and replace it with a fully functional MyLink touch screen.

If there was a large enough interest in having ventilated seats, and another model had them, and a swap was possible in some way, someone would do it.

Don't doubt redneck retrofitting lol
Old 06-10-15, 11:15 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for your frank reply. I understand what you mean. I got the same response from the salesman. I had a better understanding of the vehicle than he did. Thankfully i hear the service dept is not as inept as the sales team.

On the 2nd part of your reply. In the Camaro forum an insider would have probably given the reason as to why they did not include the option. The forum has insiders that actually designed the vehicle. i.e. they didnt include a screen navigation on the 2010 camaro in order to compete with the cost of the Mustang. Also in the camaro forum someone would have came up with a DIY on how to make this work already. In that work customization is king so it would not have taken long specially if the same product ( but different model) already has it.

So that's why i asked for an insider. mrsinsyder was first to reply and her input was (they simply dont). this makes me thing she is not really an insider lol

I have a feeling that the issue has to do with the tightness of the F sport seat creating complications to integrate it. I see some folks complaining on the comfort of that seat so i can see them going the route of not jeopardizing the comfort even more.
bahahahaha Yes, you're on Camaro5 Nice that you dropped the Ofer DIY too hahah
Old 06-10-15, 11:30 AM
camarogran
Driver School Candidate

bahahahaha Yes, you're on Camaro5 Nice that you dropped the Ofer DIY too hahah
yup camaro5. I still have my 2010 camaro sitting in the garage with 40K. Modded out of course!

This one will be for the wife and she would have to park her car outside. Currently we are in the 90's but this is just the start of summer for us.

We have only upgraded my cars while she kept her faithful 08 toyota yaris so i want to make sure we get the best possible vehicle for her. We have ruled out allot of vehicles because many are soon to be refreshed or new versions coming in 2017. Our current list consists of this Lexus NX, upcoming mercedes GLC, BMX x1, and Volvo XC90. Personally i prefer the volvo. It has everything i want in a luxury vehicle but supply is limited and that turns to =msrp or +msrp costs. Im praying the GLC will be closer to this price range but i have a feeling it will be more in line with the new lexus RX price. The X1 from what i hear is much smaller so i fear we will be compromising space. Acura has recent refresh but it just doesnt look good. Are there any others some of you were looking into?

Last edited by camarogran; 06-10-15 at 11:42 AM.
Old 06-10-15, 12:12 PM
mrsinsyder
Driver

I live in Florida. I wanted ventilated seats more than I wanted the F-sport, so I bought the one I preferred based on my needs. If the NX didn't have the features I wanted, I would have looked at the multitudes of other similar vehicles.

If the car doesn't have a feature that is really important to you, I guess I just don't understand why you're insistent that Lexus is wrong or that we're all clueless because no one is doing it DIY.

Old 06-10-15, 12:16 PM
camarogran
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mrsinsyder
I live in Florida. I wanted ventilated seats more than I wanted the F-sport, so I bought the one I preferred based on my needs. If the NX didn't have the features I wanted, I would have looked at the multitudes of other similar vehicles.

If the car doesn't have a feature that is really important to you, I guess I just don't understand why you're insistent that Lexus is wrong or that we're all clueless because no one is doing it DIY.

I'm simply looking for an insider. Reasons already stated
Old 06-10-15, 12:32 PM
15RC350F
Advanced

I'm simply looking for an insider. Reasons already stated
I contacted Lexus Customer Satisfaction and asked them. This is their reply:
Dear Mr. 15LexNX2t:

Thank you for contacting the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department. We appreciate the time you have taken to share your thoughts. It is through input, such as yours, that we are able to gain greater insight as to how our customers perceive the products we sell.

We make every effort to manufacture a quality product by researching, testing, and constantly monitoring performance. Consumer opinion and perception also play an active role in our ongoing efforts to lead the automobile industry in quality, innovation, styling, and reliability. [My emphasis] We apologize that you are displeased that the F-Sport seats do not have ventilated seats. The options are available based on popularity. We will document your concerns at Lexus to ensure your comments are available for management visibility. We hope that your future interactions with Lexus will reflect the high standards of quality that we strive to uphold.

If you require further assistance, please respond to this e-mail, or contact Lexus Customer Satisfaction at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 5:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., or Saturday, 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Pacific Standard Time.

Sincerely,
David Rosen
Lexus Customer Satisfaction
Old 06-10-15, 12:39 PM
mrsinsyder
Driver

So insightful
Old 06-10-15, 12:50 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Based on popularity?

Um...its a first year car? What demographic were they looking for? smh
Old 06-10-15, 12:55 PM
15RC350F
Advanced

Interestingly (or not), when I try to follow the instruction "...If you require further assistance, please respond to this e-mail...", the email bounces back as undeliverable (bad address)!
Old 06-10-15, 12:56 PM
camarogran
Driver School Candidate

Based on popularity?

Um...its a first year car? What demographic were they looking for? smh
Apparently states up north.

Quick Reply: 2016 BMW X1 or NX?